Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

Need suggestions, please: a vibrant, water-resistant red using Platinum Pigment Ink Rose Red

SlowRain

I'm trying to find a decently vibrant, water-resistant red ink.  The problem is I live in Taiwan, so I don't have access to a lot of Noodler's inks.  (I also tried Sailor Storia Fire Red, but found it problematic.)  My plan is to mix Platinum Pigment Ink Rose Red as the water-resistant red base, and then something else to make it pop a bit.  I know absolutely nothing about mixing inks, so I need some guidance.  What would you suggest mixing with Platinum Rose Red to make it less pink and more vibrant?  I'd like just one other ink, though.  Also, I may not have access to all the inks you do, so you may want to suggest either a couple of alternatives or perhaps the specific color theory you're working off of so that I can find something similar.

Thanks.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• SlowRain

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I should clarify that I want to get rid of the pink tone and that I don't want to shift it to an orange.  I'd be okay shifting it to a bright red, a light or dark maroon, perhaps a burgundy, maybe even a red-black (I do have Platinum Carbon Black if a 3rd ink is necessary).  I'm not super fussy.  I just need it for correcting in the classroom, and it has to have a component that's water-resistant in case (read: when) my younger students spill water on their books.  Any suggestions?

27 minutes ago, SlowRain said:

I just need it for correcting in the classroom, and it has to have a component that's water-resistant in case (read: when) my younger students spill water on their books.

Why not just use Platinum Classic Ink Cassis Black (as supplied, not in mixing), then?

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/351047-water-resistance-of-some-iron-gall-inks-compared/?do=findComment&comment=4395705

Find some other purpose for the Rose Red pigment ink, or throw that in the bin if you must. :) I mean, if we I had a pigment ink suggestion that would be compatible with mixing with the Platinum pigment ink to change its colour, it'd probably mean you have to source one of those bottles (and possibly from overseas sellers) anyway.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct for valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

That's a good suggestion.  I didn't know this ink existed.  However, it's iron gall, so I'm a bit leery.  I'll do some research on it.

Another idea would be to mix Platinum Pigment Ink Rose Red & Brun Sepia, but I'm not sure what that would look like in various ratios.

Or try this: https://www.jetpens.com/blog/The-Best-Waterproof-Fountain-Pen-Inks/pt/829#show-topred (and click on the link that reads “Red Inks”)

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct for valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.