Need suggestions, please: a vibrant, water-resistant red using Platinum Pigment Ink Rose Red

SlowRain

I'm trying to find a decently vibrant, water-resistant red ink.  The problem is I live in Taiwan, so I don't have access to a lot of Noodler's inks.  (I also tried Sailor Storia Fire Red, but found it problematic.)  My plan is to mix Platinum Pigment Ink Rose Red as the water-resistant red base, and then something else to make it pop a bit.  I know absolutely nothing about mixing inks, so I need some guidance.  What would you suggest mixing with Platinum Rose Red to make it less pink and more vibrant?  I'd like just one other ink, though.  Also, I may not have access to all the inks you do, so you may want to suggest either a couple of alternatives or perhaps the specific color theory you're working off of so that I can find something similar.

Thanks.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SlowRain

• arcfide

• amberleadavis

• A Smug Dill

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe I should clarify that I want to get rid of the pink tone and that I don't want to shift it to an orange.  I'd be okay shifting it to a bright red, a light or dark maroon, perhaps a burgundy, maybe even a red-black (I do have Platinum Carbon Black if a 3rd ink is necessary).  I'm not super fussy.  I just need it for correcting in the classroom, and it has to have a component that's water-resistant in case (read: when) my younger students spill water on their books.  Any suggestions?

27 minutes ago, SlowRain said:

I just need it for correcting in the classroom, and it has to have a component that's water-resistant in case (read: when) my younger students spill water on their books.

Why not just use Platinum Classic Ink Cassis Black (as supplied, not in mixing), then?

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/351047-water-resistance-of-some-iron-gall-inks-compared/?do=findComment&comment=4395705

Find some other purpose for the Rose Red pigment ink, or throw that in the bin if you must. :) I mean, if we I had a pigment ink suggestion that would be compatible with mixing with the Platinum pigment ink to change its colour, it'd probably mean you have to source one of those bottles (and possibly from overseas sellers) anyway.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

That's a good suggestion.  I didn't know this ink existed.  However, it's iron gall, so I'm a bit leery.  I'll do some research on it.

Another idea would be to mix Platinum Pigment Ink Rose Red & Brun Sepia, but I'm not sure what that would look like in various ratios.

Or try this: https://www.jetpens.com/blog/The-Best-Waterproof-Fountain-Pen-Inks/pt/829#show-topred (and click on the link that reads “Red Inks”)

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• 3 months later...

I was going to suggest Platinum's Pigmented Sepia in small quantities to adjust the shade. I'd also echo the Cassis Black iron gall recommendation, and I wouldn't worry about the iron gall at all. If you are willing to work with the pigmented inks, then Iron Gall is at least as trouble-free, and sometimes more so. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2021 at 9:05 AM, arcfide said:

I was going to suggest Platinum's Pigmented Sepia in small quantities to adjust the shade.

That's exactly what I ended up doing. It makes for a decent red.

I'm still considering that Cassis Black for another day, too.

• 5 weeks later...

Yes, please show us the results and even the mistakes.

Have you looked at the Platinum Mix free inks?

You could then order a single bottle of Noodler's Ghost Blue which will make it water resistant without loss of vibrance.

PT22659_Platinum-Mix-Free-Ink-Bottle-60ml_DTL1_P3.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

As a Christmas presents, one of my daughters used Platinum's Mix Free inks to work up a color that matched the color of my wife's favorite car color. It was surprisingly subtle to get it just right, but it turned out really well. It happened to be a dark burgundy color. 

1 hour ago, arcfide said:

As a Christmas presents, one of my daughters used Platinum's Mix Free inks to work up a color that matched the color of my wife's favorite car color. It was surprisingly subtle to get it just right, but it turned out really well. It happened to be a dark burgundy color. 

That is really nice.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 2 weeks later...

Here is three parts Platinum Pigment Ink Rose Red and one part Brun Sepia. It was late afternoon in indirect natural light. The ink looks nice on Tomoe River, Clairefontaine, Life Noble, and Midori MD. Not so nice on Rhodia (neither white nor ivory) or on copy paper. These ones look subdued, washed out, and fuzzy. (It can also be mixed 1:6 for more punch without getting too pinky.)

IMAG1014.thumb.jpg.d4bc632411419352542b25cc79b07326.jpg

Just for the record, these pieces of paper look much better in real life.  On my phone, they're still acceptable.  Looking at them now on my laptop, they look dreadful.  Sorry if that throws anyone off or misrepresents the true color.  For what it's worth, I actually like this 1:3 ratio (and the 1:6).  I have played around with mixing some Carbon Black in, too, which can make a nice rich color.  I think you can make a decent approximation of Black Swan in Australian Roses (going by online images, anyway).  However, I have ended up wasting a LOT of the Rose Red ink just playing around.  I have a collection of discarded swamp ink (red, brown, black all mixed together) for which I have lost all track of what the ratio might be.  I plan on using that up--which will take a couple of years--before I start playing again.  It has been fun, and I hope this leads others to playing with these inks.  Maybe even adding in the blue.

I can't stress enough how these pictures don't capture what this ink really looks like.  I hope someone with better photography equipment and skills can get hold of samples of these inks and do them justice.