Toyooka Craft 100 pen pen case

dms525

The Toyooka Craft pen cases have been mentioned a few times but not often or recently. I bought their 24 pen box with a drawer for ink 3 or 4 years ago at the SF Pen Show. I then bought the 4 drawer, 40 pen case. Today, my 100 pen box arrived, and I love it! I hate to think where this mathematical progression goes next, but meanwhile I am delighted with the design and workmanship of this case.

62872742_ToyookaCraft100a.jpg.078fe0e9b37296e8f67281d14f342a98.jpg

738073741_ToyookaCraft100c.jpg.c02330204b6095a0bfcc9b5e08e220c8.jpg

480215064_ToyookaCraft100b.jpg.877a8d4f72bf40586a73b45e24174f5f.jpg

Each drawer has 20 slots and is deep enough for any pen I can imagine using. Size is roughly 18.66 x 8.27 x 8.35 inches. (W, D, H)

Enjoy!

David

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dms525

• Paul-in-SF

• Linger

• bsenn

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

B e a t i f u l David - congrats!

I am following toyocraft on instagram for some time, and it seems they also do a lot of made-to-measure pen cases. On their website they have the 40 and 100 pen cases, but I have seen quite some other variations too. I am thinking on a 3 drawer case with 12 or 15 pen slots. (In an effort to physically limit the expansion of my collection…)

Does anybody have experience in the ordering process for such a “special” case? 

10 hours ago, Linger said:

B e a t i f u l David - congrats!

I am following toyocraft on instagram for some time, and it seems they also do a lot of made-to-measure pen cases. On their website they have the 40 and 100 pen cases, but I have seen quite some other variations too. I am thinking on a 3 drawer case with 12 or 15 pen slots. (In an effort to physically limit the expansion of my collection…)

Does anybody have experience in the ordering process for such a “special” case? 

Thank, Linger!

I ordered off their English language web site. Their standard 100 slot case met my needs, so I have no experience with ordering custom work. I will say they are very responsive and communicative. I would not hesitate to make a custom order.

David

P.S. I have not found the size of my pen case(s) has any measurable effect on my pen collection expansion. Sorry.

That is a beautiful piece of woodworking. I have drooled over their drawers more than a few times. 

I confess to being in the middle of building my own wood pen case, made of red oak (although the finish will be a different shade), 10 drawers, from 20 to 24 pens per drawer (some of the dividers are narrower for my vintage pens). I am emotionally stuck at the point where I should be doing finish sanding and then applying the stain, but I am terrified after all that work (I had to rebuild some of the drawers because I messed up the front panels) that the finish will look awful and I won't want to use it. Oh yes, I haven't even started building the frame yet. I really need someone to kick me in the tail to get me back to work on it. Volunteers?

If you're like me you may notice every flaw, but no one else will. Just do it. You'll be glad you did. 

Brian 

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

2 hours ago, bsenn said:

If you're like me you may notice every flaw, but no one else will. Just do it. You'll be glad you did. 

Brian 

I am exactly like you except that I haven't convinced myself of the rest of that sentence. But you're probably right. Thanks. 

On 8/13/2021 at 10:09 PM, Paul-in-SF said:

I am exactly like you except that I haven't convinced myself of the rest of that sentence. But you're probably right. Thanks. 

You could try the finish on one of the drawers you had to scrap, and use only clear finish on the other.

This way you can see what you like best before committing the whole piece to any finish.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

• 5 months later...

Mine is on its way! The shipment just cleared export customs and UPS expects to deliver it next week Tuesday.

I asked for a 48 pen cabinet - 4 drawers of 12 pens. The standard model for 60 pens has nice proportions, its front is close to an A4 on its side, but that won’t fit where i intend to use it in my home office. My longterm collection should actually not exceed around 36 pens, so i have a little room to fool myself…

i also ordered their bookstand. For the sheer beauty of it. No clue yet where to display it what book on it yet though.

Anyway, here are some pics they send me of the finished product:

40EADE74-4EAE-4E49-97A0-BC4FEE06C419.jpeg

C469EA6D-1B03-4D6B-8720-38875385C3B1.jpeg

06F597A4-3B16-410C-A93E-EF3FCA5E79BE.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Linger said:

Mine is on its way! The shipment just cleared export customs and UPS expects to deliver it next week Tuesday.

I asked for a 48 pen cabinet - 4 drawers of 12 pens. The standard model for 60 pens has nice proportions, its front is close to an A4 on its side, but that won’t fit where i intend to use it in my home office. My longterm collection should actually not exceed around 36 pens, so i have a little room to fool myself…

i also ordered their bookstand. For the sheer beauty of it. No clue yet where to display it what book on it yet though.

Anyway, here are some pics they send me of the finished product:

40EADE74-4EAE-4E49-97A0-BC4FEE06C419.jpeg

C469EA6D-1B03-4D6B-8720-38875385C3B1.jpeg

06F597A4-3B16-410C-A93E-EF3FCA5E79BE.jpeg

Congratulations! You will love it even more when you receive it.

I have abandoned self-deception long ago. I never was able to develop the knack for it. As evidence:

IMG_3693.jpeg.3609a41df523ae38f2dfa3f89e756724.jpeg

IMG_3734.jpeg.47027a20435f8e5d536816e4b6721b56.jpeg

IMG_3735.jpeg.391e46b5cf3ee6b0511cf7866eea601d.jpeg

Happy writing!

David

I acquired one of those 100-pen drawer sets after my previous posts in this thread. It was used and in pieces, but from the photos the pieces appeared in good condition, and the price was considerably lower, so I took a chance. And the chance paid off. I believe the box had been dropped, probably on a corner, stressing the joints so that some of the glue joints gave way. All the drawers were each still in one piece, and it was fairly easy to figure out how the frame went together. Also fortunately, I had enough clamps to go around, because I couldn't figure out how to glue it in stages, I had to do it all in one go. 

To look at it now, I don't think anyone could tell it had ever had an accident. 

One feature that surprised me a little was that there is no back on the chest; there are individual wood pieces across the back between each drawer, with stops so that the drawers don't go past a certain point when pushing them in. It seems to work fine, it makes the unit lighter and possibly a little cheaper. 

Congrats this is wonderful!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY