how far can one go regarding to variation in a fountain pen?

El-Haqq

I look forward to own a fountain pen and I would like it to have certain features. I would like it to be cartridge refillable, and I would like it to be oblique and triple broad at the same time (O3B). I am an orthodox person and I wouldn't like to grind it, because of personal concerns. I have also been told that italic pens have good variation in lines and I would like to add that feature to the nib. If all of this is not possible together, I would love to receive any feedback for a close pen to what I have in mind, I like thick lines and I love variation too. So it could be also OBB, BB, or any italic with good wide. I don't want to spend too much money in a pen but if I have to do it I will, please drop any recommendations you may have for this not to be that expensive. I really would like to have a pen that is easy to go, that's why I prefer cartridges instead of pistons. I know that really good fountain pens don't come cheap, modern, or some even in cartridge versions but I would like to know every option so I can make a good choice. My last question is: what do converters are, and when to use them and when they cannot be used? Thanks for all the advices you might have!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• El-Haqq

• SilverStoneMetallic

• mizgeorge

• kenrapoza

Top Posters In This Topic

Go have some fun with a Pilot Parallel set.  Inexpensive, cartridge filled, and hopefully answers your question on how wide one can go.  

Factory oblique grinds are hard to come by these days, and to find one on a cartridge converter pen will be even more challenging. Your best bet for an oblique italic pen with the conditions you have set would be to find a professional who can grind nibs (Pablo from fpnibs makes excellent italic obliques!) and attach that nib attached to whatever pen you want that it will work with.

The current setup

1. Conid Regular AntwerpPen/Naginata Cross Concord- Sailor Nioi-Sumire (two years and counting!)

2. 1920-something Wahl-Eversharp BCHR Oversize Gold Seal/Manifold- Aurora Black

3. Pelikan M800 Tortoise/O3B- Kobe Ginza gold sepia

1936 Vacumatic Oversize Brown Pearl- Rest in (several) pieces. You will be missed!

38 minutes ago, mizgeorge said:

You might consider something from Mr Pen - perhaps a Parson's Essential, which has classic good looks, is extremely affordable, and has one of the biggest ranges of italic nib sizes available.

https://www.mrpen.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d184.html

Wow - I never realized that the Italix Parsons was offered in so many nib variation, that is a crazy selection!  I think that suggestion hits the OP's criteria right on the nose.

7 hours ago, El-Haqq said:

I would like it to be cartridge refillable, and I would like it to be oblique and triple broad at the same time (O3B). I am an orthodox person and I wouldn't like to grind it, because of personal concerns. I have also been told that italic pens have good variation in lines and I would like to add that feature to the nib. If all of this is not possible together, I would love to receive any feedback for a close pen to what I have in mind, I like thick lines and I love variation too. So it could be also OBB, BB, or any italic with good wide. I don't want to spend too much money in a pen but if I have to do it I will, please drop any recommendations you may have for this not to be that expensive.

Pilot Parallel pen in 6.0mm size. It uses Pilot ink cartridges, and it will give you as wide a line at its widest, and as great a line width differential between cross-strokes and downstrokes, as any regular production line fountain pen on the market can; and it's relatively cheap for a fountain pen (which it is) to boot.

Edit:

2 hours ago, I-am-not-really-here said:

Go have some fun with a Pilot Parallel set.

Ah, I only saw this belatedly. No, I wouldn't recommend starting by getting the entire set of six (or even the original four) sizes. Go for the max upfront, given the O.P.'s phrasing of the question (“how far can one go”) posed in his/her chosen thread title; quite possibly he/she may then discover it's further than is actually useful for ‘normal’ writing, or even calligraphy for the glyph sizes he/she has in mind.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

29 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

Pilot Parallel pen in 6.0mm size. It uses Pilot ink cartridges, and it will give you as wide a line at its widest, and as great a line width differential between cross-strokes and downstrokes, as any regular production line fountain pen on the market can; and it's relatively cheap for a fountain pen (which it is) to boot.

Edit:

Ah, I only saw this belatedly. No, I wouldn't recommend starting by getting the entire set of six (or even the original four) sizes. Go for the max upfront, given the O.P.'s phrasing of the question (“how far can one go”) posed in his/her chosen thread title; quite possibly he/she may then discover it's further than is actually useful for ‘normal’ writing, or even calligraphy for the glyph sizes he/she has in mind.

yeah well I've been taking a look and 6.0 would be a madness lol!. I'm not looking for caligraphy yet and @mizgeorge already answered this topic with the best recommendation. Thank you to all for your help, and thanks a lot to @mizgeorge. This is my debut in the fascinating world of fountain pens, and I will go with the parson's pen, with a double broad italic nib. Perhaps I'll make a topic later about how it works with a writing sample, that was the closest and most exact advice to what I had in mind. I found out that I don't really need an oblique nib, and BBB nibs are so freaking hard to get since pelikan messed up taking them out the market. I'm really happy of the research and the result and I hope to get this pen the quickest I can and try it on. Thanks again to this awesome community, keep up the taste for ink.