Omas 360 Mezzo - To buy or not to buy?

siddr90

Hi all, 

I have an opportunity to buy a barely used Omas 360 Mezzo for about $400 and was hoping to get views of the community before proceeding with the purchase. 

1. Is $400 a fair price for this model? 

2. Durability of the cartridge system - I've read numerous posts on the forum about the mechanism giving in after a certain period of usage. Any views on the longevity of this mechanism? What happens if it breaks? 

Between all the 360 models, I prefer the Mezzo the most and the only thing I'm not sure about is the mechanism. (also will have to do a nib regrind as I like a fine point instead of the broader nib available in this deal) 

Appreciate any other views about the pen as well! Especially if you are a long term user of it. 

Much appreciated, 

Sidd 

Edited by siddr90
update topic

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• siddr90

• Aysedasi

• georges zaslavsky

• bugmd

I've owned a Mezzo and I always wished (and still wish) I had the full size piston filler instead*.  I didn't really own it long enough to test the durability of the cartridge system, but it worked well enough for me.  $400 sounds reasonable.  I think I paid about £250 for mine about 3-4 years ago which is about $350 now.  If I'm brutally honest, aside from the shape, I thought it was a pretty 'ordinary' pen for that much outlay, which is why I sold it on.  

(* I worked on a full size pen about 6-7 years ago after the owner, a work colleague left it for a very long time with some very nasty ink in it.  It took me about 2 weeks to get it fully cleaned and I fell in love with the pen during that time).  

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

thanks for sharing your experience. I did get a chance to compare the Mezzo and full size and actually prefer the Mezzo in my hand. Did you end up buying the full size? 

I dont have a Mezzo 360 but I do have a Mezzo Ogivia and frankly do not care for it at all. It has never been as dependable as the piston filling Ogivias that I have. I do love my 360s and have been tempted by a White Mezzo 360 more than once but just cannot do it. I know that it is not the pen for me. I'm sure others have had a better experience, not me.

A. Don's Axiom "It's gonna be used when I sell it, might as well be used when I buy it."

I have several 360s, I would rather vouch for the piston version. But this is just my two modest cents.Nibwise Omas is terrific.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I once considered a 360 Mezzo with that odd cartridge system and decided against it. Mostly because it‘s not really compatible with a converter, though workarounds are possible. My other concern is that the slip-on cap is not durable. At least that‘s my experience with my full-size piston 360.

thanks everyone for the tips & inputs! I actually took the feedback and ended up buying something entirely different - Montblanc Rouge et Noir :)