Jump to content
Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

Monteverde Blue Velvet Cake - comparisons and complements


LizEF
 Share

Recommended Posts

I received 6 Co-Razy-Views from @amberleadavis with various Monteverde inks on them! :D  All are on 52gsm cream Tomoe River paper.  The cream color gets washed out in the image and scan below, but I think most of the colors came through quite well.  Interestingly, I really don't have any inks that are very similar to these, so I tossed in a bunch of inks to get somewhat close and to show what might have been complementary colors.  In this case, I think Diamine Red Dragon and a cool or neutral grey would go well (but Herbin Gris Nuage would only work from a fat, wet nib).  Kobe #28 doesn't have that sheen to my eyes - must be the camera picking up reflected light.

 

(Apologies if you hate huge images, but I wanted folk to be able to zoom in and really examine the colors.)

 

Photo:

large.MonteverdeBlueVelvetCake.jpg.6b7603a2898b540589f3032f9ecdd012.jpg

 

Scan:

large.MonteverdeBlueVelvetCakeS.jpg.168afea2f78cee9bbdbf48b0df4b47cb.jpg

 

It may take a while, but I'll get to all the others eventually! :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • amberleadavis

    2

  • PithyProlix

    2

  • LizEF

    6

  • Detman101

    1

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW what a great comparison! That JHBP looks similar as does the Diamine Denim.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).



Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar



Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 366 Inks in 2016



Check out inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, amberleadavis said:

WOW what a great comparison! That JHBP looks similar as does the Diamine Denim.

:) Yeah, they're similar, but also more muted and less green - not that Blue Velvet Cake is teal, just that it's closer to the green side of things than the others.  In fact, in person, Blue des Profondeurs seems to lean a little purple in comparison, though I'd never have suspected that looking at it alone - our brains do strange things when we put colors next to each other! :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Now that you mention it, I can see it. Of course, in your images, I can even see sheen. I don't remember seeing sheen when I had it here in person.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).



Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar



Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 366 Inks in 2016



Check out inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

Now that you mention it, I can see it. Of course, in your images, I can even see sheen. I don't remember seeing sheen when I had it here in person.

Oh no, there's sheen all over the place!  In fact, I had a hard time angling the paper so that I could see only the ink color, without sheen!  (Go Tomoe River! Rah rah! :D )

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Amazing how the scan doesn't show the sheen at all.
Good info to see and know!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Detman101 said:

Amazing how the scan doesn't show the sheen at all.
Good info to see and know!

If you zoom in, you can see it in a few places as a dark red spot1, but sheen does require light to hit at the right angle, and I suppose straight-on is the wrong angle. :)

 

1Am I the only one thinking of Lady Macbeth now?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

WOW what a great comparison! That JHBP looks similar as does the Diamine Denim.

 

19 hours ago, LizEF said:

:) Yeah, they're similar, but also more muted and less green - not that Blue Velvet Cake is teal, just that it's closer to the green side of things than the others.  In fact, in person, Blue des Profondeurs seems to lean a little purple in comparison, though I'd never have suspected that looking at it alone - our brains do strange things when we put colors next to each other! :D

 

Wow, I was wondering how those two compared! (Is this site some kind of wish granting machine?) 

 

I can see the green in the lighter parts of the Monteverde, like the top of the 'M' for instance, but in the dark parts I can see some purple (could that be sheen, though?) and it seems very close to BdP*. But that could just be my screen, my eyes, effect of the scan, etc. ... 

 

I do not recall seeing any purple lean in my sample of BdP - it just seemed to be a pretty pure and very dark blue (too dark to be very interesting in the Japanese F and Western XF nibs I typically use) but, like you wrote, it might need to be juxtaposed with some other dark blue to see it. 

 

Thanks! 

 

*My autocorrect wanted to change that to 'Bedpan' ... 

"Most people enjoy the sight of their own handwriting as they enjoy the smell of their own farts." - W. H. Auden

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PithyProlix said:

(Is this site some kind of wish granting machine?)

We're just a bunch of shameless enablers! :)  The 10mL bottle of Bleu des Profondeurs is adorable. ;)

 

1 hour ago, PithyProlix said:

I can see the green in the lighter parts of the Monteverde, like the top of the 'M' for instance, but in the dark parts I can see some purple (could that be sheen, though?)

Yes, it's sheen.  Without the sheen, it would not look purple at all.

 

1 hour ago, PithyProlix said:

I do not recall seeing any purple lean in my sample of BdP - it just seemed to be a pretty pure and very dark blue (too dark to be very interesting in the Japanese F and Western XF nibs I typically use) but, like you wrote, it might need to be juxtaposed with some other dark blue to see it. 

Exactly - only next to other colors does any lean show.  As one artist put it, "cool" and "warm" are not so much absolute descriptors as comparative: "cooler than" or "warmer than".  Thus, BdP is purpler than BVC - or BVC is greener than BdP....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, LizEF said:

We're just a bunch of shameless enablers! :)  The 10mL bottle of Bleu des Profondeurs is adorable. ;)

 

Yes, I have a few of those 10ml bottles - they are perfect for many of the Herbin ink colors, which I like a lot but more for calligraphy. I wish other manufacturers would offer that size! I really only enjoy Cacao, Vert de Gris, and Vert Empire for regular writing (though I haven't tried Bleu Myosotis yet - that one looks promising to me) and would consider buying a larger bottle of those only. 

 

Quote

 

Yes, it's sheen.  Without the sheen, it would not look purple at all.

 

Gotcha. 

 

Quote

Exactly - only next to other colors does any lean show.  As one artist put it, "cool" and "warm" are not so much absolute descriptors as comparative: "cooler than" or "warmer than".  Thus, BdP is purpler than BVC - or BVC is greener than BdP....

 

Yep - understood. I am generally terrible at judging the temperature of a color in isolation unless it is pretty far at one end of the scale. 

 

Thanks again! 

"Most people enjoy the sight of their own handwriting as they enjoy the smell of their own farts." - W. H. Auden

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

Thanks again! 

:) You're very welcome!

 

1 hour ago, goodpens said:

I like this approach to the CRV!

Thanks!  I was hoping it would be more helpful, or at least more interesting - especially since I didn't have any inks that seemed like a close match to me (going by the lighter areas of Blue Velvet Cake).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share








×
×
  • Create New...