Love the Model 4. I had no idea I would like the pen so much when I ordered it. 

To me, your matte green model 4 looks the most beautiful of all the Woodex pens you have shared so far.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• K Singh

• Savit

• Sagarb

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, K Singh said:

Love the Model 4. I had no idea I would like the pen so much when I ordered it. 

To me, your matte green model 4 looks the most beautiful of all the Woodex pens you have shared so far.

itsa nice one indeed. Thanks so much.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for uncovering another Hyderabadi pen turner with nice attention to detail and as well as the brochure.

One thing though 

1)For an Eye dropper like Woodex how do you understand the level of ink remaining without the ink window and a completely closed enclosure?

I am enjoying the Wality 71J with kanwrite 35mm with only concern of cheap third class quality Bank papers which has lots of bleed through.

2)Also I am in search of fade ,water resistant black inks which are around same price range of Diamine.

Bril Black reservoir is 30% level

Diamine jet black is sealed still.

3 minutes ago, Shyahi said:

For an Eye dropper like Woodex how do you understand the level of ink remaining without the ink window and a completely closed enclosure?

There is no visual indication.  However the ink flow will increase as the ink level drops. That’s the indication that you have to refill. 

pelikan 4001 black is a pretty solid choice. 

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Pilot Black too, in 30ml/350ml bottles. If Penhouse stocks Hero 234 black you can try it, it will be permanent, but it has a tendency to clog ( has very high pigment particle load).

• 1 month later...

I am interested to know - How different other nib s is installed to the Woodex pens ?

Is this done by woodex or self done

I saw -

Schmidt no 5 nib unit 

Bock No 6 nib unit 

Both are threaded model - then how it is goin to fit inside existing woodex model

On 8/17/2021 at 10:57 AM, hari317 said:

Woodex Flat top Ball clip family:

large.78F5C75D-BCE8-4CF6-A917-6411BC137683.jpeg.9ff446d60db2fc92af1be64cf2f9255f.jpeg

L-R: Model 4, 15, 29

large.C112104F-A26B-480E-B91C-BD9523E0A775.jpeg.b9e4e9d58db8a4c13842da34d19d7ce7.jpeg

large.B88DD973-9757-441E-9162-548F7EB02417.jpeg.4e8ed0b74500efd918222b2c655a68e5.jpeg

L-R: Model 4, 15, 29

large.542E1090-2DEF-42FC-9B80-AFBCC5B3ABDD.jpeg.d45d4d5daa0d1737dfc6fbf48ca5365d.jpeg

Best

Hari

I am interested to know - How different other nib s is installed to the Woodex pens ?

Is this done by woodex or self done

I saw -

Schmidt no 5 nib unit 

Bock No 6 nib unit 

Both are threaded model - then how it is goin to fit inside existing woodex model

4 hours ago, bubai said:

Simple:

1) It is threaded, which means that the nib unit is fitted like a screw on a nut: you just screw/unscrew the nib unit like any other similar item (e.g. a light bulb). To screw/unscrew, pick carefully the nib and feed, possibly with a cloth and... well, rotate it. Be careful not to break anything... just like you'd do with a light bulb. Only take care to do it with the pen empty and clean or carefully holding the pen nib up to avoid spilling any ink inside (much like you can change a light bulb without turning off the light if you are careful, but it is better if you do turn the lights off first).

2) Will it fit? You only need to ensure that the nib unit size corresponds to the pen: a pen taking a #5 nib unit will not take  a #6 (different diameters) just like a light bulb base will only fit in in the lamp socket of its corresponding diameter. But -just like with a light bulb- if you use a nib unit that matches your pen, you should -at least in principle- be OK. Now, as with light bulbs, you may need to also ensure that the non-"socketized" part (the protruding bulb or the nib) does also fit in the enclosure (the lamp in a light bulb, or the the pen cap when the pen is capped), i.e. if it is larger that the space allowed inside you may have issues. This should rarely happen with pens, but sometimes does.

Note: Jokes aside, I am assuming you know at least how to change a light bulb.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

17 hours ago, txomsy said:

Simple:

1) It is threaded, which means that the nib unit is fitted like a screw on a nut: you just screw/unscrew the nib unit like any other similar item (e.g. a light bulb). To screw/unscrew, pick carefully the nib and feed, possibly with a cloth and... well, rotate it. Be careful not to break anything... just like you'd do with a light bulb. Only take care to do it with the pen empty and clean or carefully holding the pen nib up to avoid spilling any ink inside (much like you can change a light bulb without turning off the light if you are careful, but it is better if you do turn the lights off first).

2) Will it fit? You only need to ensure that the nib unit size corresponds to the pen: a pen taking a #5 nib unit will not take  a #6 (different diameters) just like a light bulb base will only fit in in the lamp socket of its corresponding diameter. But -just like with a light bulb- if you use a nib unit that matches your pen, you should -at least in principle- be OK. Now, as with light bulbs, you may need to also ensure that the non-"socketized" part (the protruding bulb or the nib) does also fit in the enclosure (the lamp in a light bulb, or the the pen cap when the pen is capped), i.e. if it is larger that the space allowed inside you may have issues. This should rarely happen with pens, but sometimes does.

Note: Jokes aside, I am assuming you know at least how to change a light bulb.

That was not his question. Woodex pens have direct friction fit nibs in the section. There is no “nib unit”. To rephrase his question: He was asking “how do you go about installing a screw in nib unit to such sections from Woodex”. 

I ask request them to do JOWO threading to the Model 4 / its related model 2 - but they are very strict to their design and will not allow any sort of alteration.

By the way - any one explain how is the writing exp with Ambitious - Nib in their model - I wrote with kanwrite fine - As a visual look Ambitious nib look more interesting 

26 minutes ago, bubai said:

I ask request them to do JOWO threading to the Model 4 / its related model 2 - but they are very strict to their design and will not allow any sort of alteration.

By the way - any one explain how is the writing exp with Ambitious - Nib in their model - I wrote with kanwrite fine - As a visual look Ambitious nib look more interesting 

Oh. I can understand. I too tried to get a couple of pens customized but they said they don't do it. I thought they would do the threading.

Both my Woodex have kanwrite and write nicely. I have one ambitious 35mm/size #10 nib and it writes nicely too like a medium nib.

On 8/20/2021 at 4:42 PM, K Singh said:

Received my Woodex pens - Model 4 and Model 39 today.

Thanks to Hari and everyone else for sharing details about them. Hope it's alright to share the pics here instead of creating a new thread.

The pen comes in a simple cardboard box.

large.1.jpg.ee812bb46646286378e26399c63af1a7.jpg

L -> R Model 4, Model 39

large.2.jpg.6b989ee1f6a368cc8199d13b22d2e9d2.jpg

Compared to Gama Supreme

large.3.jpg.1c62c6da8188701ca890ac60696b7ec1.jpg

Uncapped Pic. Notice how Model 39 has a bigger cap than Gama Supreme, but the pen itself is smaller than it.

large.4.jpg.22dd734e20890dedaad75e98612c1a4d.jpg

Model 4 has a plain Kanwrite fine nib, Model 39 has a designed Kanwrite Medium one.

large.5.jpg.4b4526541f4aa37c221a4a5704fcbaed.jpg

The feeds are different too accordingly

large.6.jpg.d69d142fa41ca74818e56396b70f85b0.jpg

I noticed that though the barrel of Model 39 is smaller than Supreme, it appears slightly thicker to me.

large.7.jpg.72a374e3ca30ae41692356f2e51107d2.jpg

The threading at the barrel, and the inner cap seems better in the Model 39 compared to Model 4. The Model 39 cap too seems thicker than the Gama Supreme.

large.8.jpg.1c26ae410216e015f122859bb33bc750.jpg

And as the Model 39 is a costlier pen than Model 4, the finishing too seems to be better. You can easily notice it when you open the caps. Model 39 opens very smoothly compared to Model 4, and it opens in 2 and half turns compared to the 3 and half turns on model 4.

Have yet to ink the pens. If you want to know anything else regarding the pen, please let me know.

Overall, am very happy with both the pens. These are my first Woodex pens but they seem to be very well-built and I like them.

One strange thing - why they offer very less JOWO threaded model - Really not able to understand - If the Eye dropper is their moto - then a good jowo Threaded model without converter does the job beautifully.

I used all my Pens (asa, ranga , guider) same way.

If model 4 comes wit a Jowo threading it will be excellent - but their Jowo threaded one does not have a good Clip matching - 

any way I got their 1st pen yesterday - Model 37 with  an Ambitious no 5 nib - Fit and finish of the Pen is Super duper - 

Ambitious nib is very good - but while asking for this pen to be with No5 Jowo nib - they showed me a different pen - which is nowhere to their eye dropper model - 

It seems that they intentionally did this and discourage threading 

On 11/17/2021 at 2:35 PM, K Singh said:

Oh. I can understand. I too tried to get a couple of pens customized but they said they don't do it. I thought they would do the threading.

Both my Woodex have kanwrite and write nicely. I have one ambitious 35mm/size #10 nib and it writes nicely too like a medium nib.

35mm/size #10 nib   - is a small nib - I guess 35 mm is No 5 nib  - I attached the nib - with comparison 

ambitious 35 mm - no 5 , jowo no 5 , jowo no 6 and schmidt no 6 

I wish to see your - ambitious 35mm/size #10 nib  along side with no 4 model with KW no 6 nib - 

Image.jpeg

1 hour ago, bubai said:

One strange thing - why they offer very less JOWO threaded model - Really not able to understand - If the Eye dropper is their moto - then a good jowo Threaded model without converter does the job beautifully.

I used all my Pens (asa, ranga , guider) same way.

If model 4 comes wit a Jowo threading it will be excellent - but their Jowo threaded one does not have a good Clip matching - 

any way I got their 1st pen yesterday - Model 37 with  an Ambitious no 5 nib - Fit and finish of the Pen is Super duper - 

Ambitious nib is very good - but while asking for this pen to be with No5 Jowo nib - they showed me a different pen - which is nowhere to their eye dropper model - 

It seems that they intentionally did this and discourage threading 

Maybe they are not comfortable with importing German nib units, or simply prefer the friction-fit Indian nibs. With my little experience I have learnt that most Indian pen-makers have their own preferences for nibs - Guider prefer Schmidt, Lotus prefer Jowo; most traditional pen-makers like Ratnamson, Kim, Gama, Woodex prefer friction-fit Indian nibs. It's just something that works for them I guess, and also for those who buy from them.

And do note some prefer ebonite feeds over plastic ones as well.

I love eyedropper pens and if I don't like the regular ebonite feed I can change it with the Sheaffer one. So no issues for me.

The finishing on Woodex pens is top-notch. Wish they came out with more Jumbo-sized models though, which is what I like.

1 hour ago, bubai said:

I guess 35 mm is No 5 nib 

No. The Indian no 5 nib is 26mm long from tip to heel. When mounted in a section, the exposed length will be approximately 18mm-19mm. You can verify using a metal scale.

A 35mm nib is 35mm long from tip to heel. When mounted in a section, the exposed length will be approximately 22-24mm, same as your JoWo.

1 hour ago, bubai said:

35mm/size #10 nib   - is a small nib - I guess 35 mm is No 5 nib  - I attached the nib - with comparison 

ambitious 35 mm - no 5 , jowo no 5 , jowo no 6 and schmidt no 6 

I wish to see your - ambitious 35mm/size #10 nib  along side with no 4 model with KW no 6 nib - 

In Indian nib size the 35mm nib is referred to as #10 nib I guess.

large.2055636518_IMG_20211125_1220597602.jpg.f5eb700eee91824e400a2bf239be880c.jpg

Left -> Right : Ambitious 35mm nib, Woodex model 4 with kanwrite nib, lotus Shikhar with jowo #6.