Pen Pit Stop : Nakaya Briarwood Deep Matte

namrehsnoom

Pen Pit Stop : Nakaya Briarwood Deep Matte

Welcome to the Pen Pit Stop. Here you will find reviews of pens that already have some mileage on them. More specifically, these reviews are of pens that are in my personal collection, and that have been in use for at least a year. I thought it would be fun to do it this way – no new & shiny pens here, but battered vehicles that have been put to work for at least a year. Let’s find out how they have withstood the ravages of time.

large.1852080494_nakayabriarwood-title2.jpg.679e02182894ca1aa5bb71905abc0636.jpg

The fountain pen that arrives at the pit stop today is the “Nakaya Briarwood Deep Matte”. Nakaya is best known for their exclusive urushi and maki-e fountain pens, which usually come with a corresponding hefty price-tag. But Nakaya also produces a couple of entry-level wood-based pens, produced with similar craftsmanship and eye for detail, with the same cigar-shape, and with a more palatable price. 

large.1841149765_nakayabriarwood-box.jpg.b3ef39813d1add1f2a627d4ba90bbc85.jpg

A couple of years ago there was a mix-up with one of my orders at LCDC. Everything was sorted out without a problem, but LCDC was nice enough to offer me an extra discount to compensate me for the inconvenience. This brought the Nakaya within reach, and somewhere in autumn of 2018, I ordered this nice Briarwood pen. With Nakaya, you sometimes have to wait a long time for your pen to be made – in my case, the pen was delivered in July 2019, making a nice birthday present. Nakaya’s eye for detail and quality already starts with the packaging. My pen arrived in a nice wooden box, and was wrapped in a small one-pen kimono case. These guys know how to present their product!

large.1752567711_nakayabriarwood-cap2.jpg.0837a66ffb6375b99b2acff617cb89a2.jpg

large.332861850_nakayabriarwood-cap.jpg.47ace7704dbc38a3d7ed53252b8a1190.jpg

large.2093579337_nakayabriarwood-branding.jpg.f3a44f96ff29fa3bd728a897f7a2408a.jpg

Pen Look & Feel
The Briarwood is an entry-level Nakaya pen. My pen is the Deep Matte version, which is well-machined, but not polished to a high shine. If you like shiny pens, there also exists a Deep Gloss version. For wooden pens, my personal preference goes to the matte version… it just fits better with the character of the pen. The Briarwood Deep is a pen with a dark-brown wood grain, which looks really beautiful, and which has a warm feel to it. Understated gold trimmings and clip complete this elegant pen.  The cap’s ring band shows the pen’s only branding: “Japan Nakaya Fountain Pen”. Elegant simplicity is a good way to capture this pen's look and feel.

large.1404741780_nakayabriarwood-section.jpg.3ca045093fae38f552b35b0816575f24.jpg

large.784959908_nakayabriarwood-nibdetail3.jpg.d858f1cc4693b823d3cd78e4de507ce7.jpg

The Briarwood pen comes with an entry level mono-tone 14K gold nib. Although entry-level, the nib looks really nice with sharp engravings and a lovely heart-shaped breather hole. Mine came with an M-nib that writes comparable to a European fine. The nib wrote smoothly right out of the box. It has a little bit of feedback, just enough to let you know there is contact with the paper. Even reverse writing works without a problem – you just get an even finer line, like a western EF. And this pen works really well for longer writing sessions. The black plastic grip section is big enough for a comfortable grip, and tapers out slightly towards the nib (ensuring that your fingers remain firmly in place). 

large.703067245_nakayabriarwood-nibdetail2.jpg.c75f4dedb14385635712456d377b295d.jpg

The Nakaya Briarwood is a cartridge converter pen, that adopts the proprietary Platinum fitting. The pen came with a converter included (always a nice touch). Nakaya even added a little adapter that lets you use standard international cartridges.

Japanese pen makers have mastered the art of elegant simplicity. This Nakaya Briarwood pen is an excellent example: a very high quality pen with a minimalistic design – a wonderful writing instrument!

large.1866034949_nakayabriarwood-comparisoncollage.jpg.302b095010ddf069e4d2fb26f682aa16.jpg

The pictures above illustrate the size of the Nakaya Briarwood Deep in comparison with a standard Lamy Safari. The pen is comparable in size to the Lamy – a reasonable but not too unwieldy size, suitable for longer writing sessions. The Nakaya also has some weight to it, due to the wood being heavier than plastic. By no means a heavy pen, but also not a featherweight. You can post the pen, but I would not recommend it: 1/ the pen is big enough as it is, and 2/ the metal band on the cap might lead to scratches on the wooden barrel. 

Pen Characteristics

• Build Quality :  build quality is truly excellent. The quality of the craftsmanship is very present. All aspects of the pen are made with an eye for detail. After two years of regular use, the pen looks good as new.
  • Weight & Dimensions : about 125 mm when uncapped, which is how I use it to write with. A bit smaller than an uncapped Lamy Safari. The pen weighs about 30 grams, not heavy but also not a featherweight. Weight & dimension are just right to make this an ideal pen for longer writing sessions. 
  • Filling System : this is a cartridge converter pen, which uses a Platinum style fitting. A high-quality converter (glass & metal) was included with the package.  Nakaya also provided an adapter piece that allows you to use standard international cartridges. 
  • Nib & Performance : the monotone 14K-585 gold nib fits the minimalistic design of the pen very well. Despite its simplicity it is a well-engineered nib, that wrote flawlessly right out of the box. My only complaint is that the pen has no exchangeable nib unit (like on a Pelikan). Being able to change nibs is a significant plus in my book, but is not supported on this pen.
  • Price : I got this pen for about 400 EUR, including taxes. Not a cheap pen, but the quality you get is certainly worth the price. 

    

large.964017455_nakayabriarwood-overview2.jpg.e8eaad92acb907c9b459a1ea5149e133.jpg

Conclusion
My Nakaya Briarwood Deep Matte is a beautify wooden writer, that perfectly embodies the Japanese principle of elegant simplicity. A lovely pen with a flawless nib – made for long writing sessions. One of the favourites in my pen collection. I am really glad that I bought it.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sansenri

• A Smug Dill

• namrehsnoom

• tutelman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the review, it is a very attractive pen, and I share your preference for matte when it comes to wood.

I'm not familiar with this model. Your pen appears to have a snap cap, is that right? It's hard to see where on the barrel or section the snap would be actuated -- that is, what the cap is snapping onto. Is it the flare on the end of the section? 

In any case, it must make for a very smooth pen-holding experience. 

2 hours ago, Paul-in-SF said:

I'm not familiar with this model. Your pen appears to have a snap cap, is that right? It's hard to see where on the barrel or section the snap would be actuated -- that is, what the cap is snapping onto. Is it the flare on the end of the section? 

At the end of the grip section, just at the nib, there is a small ridge. Halfway within the cap, there are plastic grippers that snap on to that ridge, with just enough force to make for a good hold. Of course, like with any delicate piece of machinery, you need to treat it with respect.

Very nice and different from the Nakaya Urushi pens.

I think Platinum sell these under their brand too.

I've always found matte briarwood to be a very attractive material (often seen in pipes, although I don't smoke!), it's on my (long) wish list...

Thanks for the review and indicating the price range.

Thanks for the review Namrehsnoom.

As to sansenri’s comment about the Nakaya/Platinum connection, here’s something AltecGreen wrote in 2015: “Nakaya was started as a small fun project by Toshiya Nakata, the grandson of Shunichi Nakata the founder of Platinum. Nakaya was started using Toshiya's own money and a loan from Platinum. Since the passing of Toshihiro Nakata, Toshiya's father and former president of Platinum, Toshiya is now both head of Platinum and Nakaya. There is obvious sharing of resources like nib manufacture and as well as other parts. Over the years, there have been overlap in the catalog of both companies. Pens based on the 3776 body have been common to both companies like some of the celluloid pens. I believe the bulk of the overlap is in the 3776 body pens and not in any of the hard rubber pens. Some colors have been exclusive to one company. There are several key differences. You can find the Platinum version cheaper but not always. The Nakaya versions are available in Nakaya's full range of nib sizes as well as trim. i.e. you cannot get a Platinum Briarwood pen with rose gold hardware (clip, band and nib) but you can in the Nakaya version. The Nakaya version comes with the standard aftersale service including nib tuning.”

I have a similar matte briar pen with an even more complicated history.  My briar was branded (on the cap band) by Tiffany.  It appears that it was produced under a contract with the German company Diplomat (and branded Diplomat on the nib).  But the actual manufacturer is Platinum.

B2B9E8F9-21DA-416F-8914-78E4D1B81388.thumb.jpeg.08b4c946e7013e57c74ec7405c43657e.jpeg

Thanks for summarizing the story!

Do you know anything about the sanded briarwood version? that I like really a lot!

thank you @namrehsnoom - your review after the pen has actually been used are much appreciated.  brand new pen reviews at times are coloured by feverish excitement / disappointment.

2 hours ago, sansenri said:

Thanks for summarizing the story!

Do you know anything about the sanded briarwood version? that I like really a lot!

A note on the texture:  I have not seen a lacquered version of the Nakaya or Platinum versions of this pen.  They all appear to be either the textured version (like Namrehsnoom’s) or a smooth sanded version (like mine).

Also, I have seen the Platinum-branded pens with both the round and heart-shaped cutout in the nib.  I believe the current models of both have the ogive-shaped cap.

Thanks for the review!

8 hours ago, namrehsnoom said:

My only complaint is that the pen has no exchangeable nib unit (like on a Pelikan). Being able to change nibs is a significant plus in my book, but is not supported on this pen.

How are you finding the pen's cap seal performance? Even though the Platinum version of this pen is (now) also branded #3776 Century, it isn't fitted with the Slip&Seal mechanism, and the cap seal performance on mine is no match for its much cheaper PNB-10000 and PNB-13000 kin.

As for fountain pens as glorified nib holders with a range of readily available and safely interchangeable nibs (without risk damaging friction-fit parts, even if they can be sourced after-market), I agree that is a plus — and, for particular applications, a significant plus — but (I'm glad it's) not either the norm or a standard expectation, and so no cause for complaint in my book, especially when most users and enthusiasts buy Japanese pens eyes wide open knowing the constraint is there by default.

3 hours ago, sansenri said:

Do you know anything about the sanded briarwood version?

I think you mean sandblasted briar. What do you want to know about it? It has the same construction as the more common briar versions.

2 hours ago, lionelc said:

brand new pen reviews at times are coloured by feverish excitement / disappointment.

Yes, but that's exactly what volunteer reviewers want to share and (without negative connotation intended on my part) ‘infect’ others with, in regard to products they bought and/or tried, and not just give entirely objective data to either corroborate what the manufacturer has published, or close the gap where authoritative information falls short of convincing prospective buyers to commit or avoid by their best judgment. :)

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

10 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

How are you finding the pen's cap seal performance? Even though the Platinum version of this pen is (now) also branded #3776 Century, it isn't fitted with the Slip&Seal mechanism, and the cap seal performance on mine is no match for its much cheaper PNB-10000 and PNB-13000 kin.

Not perfect, but also not too bad for a wooden pen. The nib doesn't dry out after some days of non-use, but there is some evaporation going on. I notice that the first few written lines are a bit darker and more saturated. 

To compare: with a Parker Sonnet, I often notice about half a page of much darker writing. My experience with a Conklin wooden pen is the worst... after a day or two of non-use, the nib has dried completely, and you need to shake it up to get it started again.  So ranking from best to worst: Nakaya Briarwood is better than Parker Sonnet is better than Conklin.

Hope this explanation makes sense.

15 minutes ago, namrehsnoom said:

Not perfect, but also not too bad for a wooden pen. …‹snip›… Nakaya Briarwood is better than Parker Sonnet is better than Conklin.

Hope this explanation makes sense.

Absolutely! Thanks for that. I have the Platinum #3776 Century Yaku-sugi (still never inked), Dark Briar and Sandblasted Briar; both of the Briar models would completely dry out in six to eight weeks if unused, even with a almost completely full fill of ink in the converter to begin with. The only wooden pen I have used that seals well enough to last six months is the Pilot Custom Kaede; but then it isn't really just wood, but the material is resin-impregnated.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

22 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

I think you mean sandblasted briar. What do you want to know about it? It has the same construction as the more common briar versions.

ah, yes, that's the one I mean, thanks ASD

Is this both a Platinum and Nakaya model?

Where would you set to buy this from? I've seen some demanding prices from EU vendors, when available...

in general I'm not looking for special nibs, but I believe a soft medium is available on these, which could interest

thanks

Is this both a Platinum and Nakaya model?

Currently, no; just Platinum.

large.1556829153_CurrentstapleNayakafountainpensinbriarwood.jpg.ecd9ae406283b5ffab9965e737d34898.jpg

But apparently, at some point in the past, Nakaya did offer the sandblasted briar model.

You can probably ask Nakaya if it's prepared to sell you one as a custom order, given that Platinum still makes them.

Where would you set to buy this from?

I have no suggestions there if it's implied that you're after a trustworthy merchant that offers some combination of favourable pricing and ready availability. I ordered my Platinum version from Nagasawa Stationery Center via the now-defunct Rakuten Global Market back in 2018; as far as I'm concerned they're trustworthy enough. I don't think they carry it any more, though.

in general I'm not looking for special nibs, but I believe a soft medium is available on these,

Only if you're buying from Nakaya. The Platinum version is offered with F, M, and B nibs only.

thanks for the info, its a nice pen but it would be almost a pity to get one without the soft medium I'm after since a while...

Thanks for the references, I'll think it over carefully, asking Nakaya may be the best approach as suggested.