Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

Parker 45 nib question

Hi All, 

I have a question about a 45 that I acquired a while back in used condition.

It's a very nice fighter with a brushed metal and gold trim finish.

I've never inked it up until today. Mind you, it looks mint, but man is it ever scratchy! I was not pleased!!

I investigated the problem with a loupe, but there appears to be no damage Except for this ; the left nib tine has a slightly rough

spot right behind the tipping, which can only be seen under magnification.

Has anyone of you ever come across something like this before?

I suspect that it can be smoothed, but would that have caused my problem in the first place?

Maybe that's why it was so cheap, perhaps the previous owner "dumped" it because of the scratchy nib.

I could just exchange the nib, but where's the fun in that!

Any thoughts?

Doug

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zookie

• dadbar

• inkstainedruth

• david-p

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the luck of the draw.....every Parker 45 gold nib I've ever tried has been scratchy. I've gotten rid of all of mine except for one lonely all steel flighter....which has an octanium stub nib which works really well.

The nib isn't gold, but thanks for your input! I'm going to try and smooth that rough spot. I have a couple of nibs in my parts box that I can trade out of it comes to that.

Doug

inkstainedruth
8 hours ago, dadbar said:

Maybe the luck of the draw.....every Parker 45 gold nib I've ever tried has been scratchy. I've gotten rid of all of mine except for one lonely all steel flighter....which has an octanium stub nib which works really well.

I'm surprised.  My first 45 was also the first 14K nibbed pen I ever had, and it's just LOVELY to write with -- with the right ink, it's like dancing on ice over the page (I really should put that or one of the other 45s back into rotation again).  The only one I ever really had a problem with was the one with the oblique nib, and I think that's me as much as anything (and that possibly the ink I tried it out with was a bit on the dry side).

Have you checked the tipping under magnification?  Wondering if that's the issue (and that there was some sort of damage, to the tipping).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I did check the tipping out, but will give it another look.

david-p

I have had mIne for years and my impression is that it has become more smooth with time, which I suppose is to be expected and writing is a just a slower way of smoothing the tip without using abrasive tools.

David