New guy with a possible fake

Kyle M.

Hello all. I just bought my first Montblanc, a Starwalker Precious Resin from Amazon. Being that Amazon has never let me down in the past and the price was in line with other retailers I believed in the pens authenticity at the time of purchase. I mainly chose Amazon for the 2 day prime shipping and my unfortunate lack of patience. Now that I have the pen and I'm reading about how often they are faked I'm starting to have my doubts. I realize it can be difficult to authenticate an item from photos and I realize these photos aren't great, but I'd greatly appreciate it if someone could help me determine if this pen is authentic. I will do my best to provide better photos if needed.  I'm within the return period and if it unfortunately turns out to be a fake I will return it and buy from a known reputable retailer. Thanks in advance for any help.

It does have "Made in Germany" under the clip but not the word "Pix", I've read that this has changed several times over the years. Also my big concern is that the serial number is on the side of the clip rather than on the band. I've also read this is correct for certain Starwalker pens.

IMG-3282.jpg

IMG-3281.jpg

IMG-3280.jpg

IMG-3279.jpg

IMG-3278.jpg

IMG-3277.jpg

IMG-3273.jpg

IMG-3272.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kyle M.

• Dione

• meiers

• AcLondon

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't see any warning signs that suggest it could be fake. You could try putting the serial number into Google and checking that it gets no results but otherwise it looks good. Pix can be either there or not. Almost randomly so.

50 minutes ago, Dione said:

I can't see any warning signs that suggest it could be fake. You could try putting the serial number into Google and checking that it gets no results but otherwise it looks good. Pix can be either there or not. Almost randomly so.

Thanks, I’ll give that a try. 

Montblanc 118848's serial number is on the clip (instead of ring), see video at 0:44, this does not certify that yours are genuine.

But it does have "Made in Germany" under clip:

04769D1B-4D45-4831-8F61-82A57281E66E_200

What is the serial number?  There are a few common ones used in fakes.  In my earliest collecting days I was scammed with one with lots of 8s and 6s in it (something like LB1888666). It was a very commonly used number. I think the location of the serial number is not a certain indicator as they appeared in both places on genuine pens over the years, afaik.  Put the serial number into google and if it comes up loads you may have a fake.

Thanks for the replies, the serial number is a jumble of letter and numbers which has me concerned, but again I'm out of my depth here. It appears to be MBMK3RDC5.

Edited by Kyle M.

If you’re concerned, return the pen.  You can then either buy from MB itself, for peace of mind, or forgo the MB.

I have doubts about the authenticity of your pen. The serial number is in an unusual  place. On my first-generation Starwalkers the serial number is on the ring.

57 minutes ago, meiers said:

I have doubts about the authenticity of your pen. The serial number is in an unusual  place. On my first-generation Starwalkers the serial number is on the ring.

I originally thought that too but member dbs said that the serial number on the clip is correct for the 118848 starwalker . It's also on the clip on the 118848 starwalker in the YouTube video which said user linked.

I've contacted Montblanc with a detailed description and photo of the serial number and it's location, hopefully they will shed some light on this.

Edited by Kyle M.

12 hours ago, meiers said:

I used to think this but then everyone told me that theirs was on the clip and they had bought it from a Montblanc boutique. Also this pen isn't a first generation.

So I just got a reply from Montblanc, they refuse to say one way or another. They want me to send the pen to Hamburg Germany for authentication, yeah right. I've found several people now with this version of the Starwalker who bought them either direct from Montblanc's site, a boutique, or an authorized seller and they also have the serial number on the clip and they even have odd serial numbers like mine. By odd I mean a MB prefix followed by random letters and numbers as oppoed to just a number.

So at this point I'm 99% convinced this is the real thing.

41 minutes ago, Kyle M. said:

So I just got a reply from Montblanc, they refuse to say one way or another. They want me to send the pen to Hamburg Germany for authentication, yeah right. I've found several people now with this version of the Starwalker who bought them either direct from Montblanc's site, a boutique, or an authorized seller and they also have the serial number on the clip and they even have odd serial numbers like mine. By odd I mean a MB prefix followed by random letters and numbers as oppoed to just a number.

So at this point I'm 99% convinced this is the real thing.

I'm convinced it's right. :)

35 minutes ago, Dione said:

I'm convinced it's right. :)

Yeah I am too, if it's not it's an awfully good fake.