EFNIR: Lamy Vibrant Pink

LizEF

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Lamy Vibrant Pink

This is review #117 in my series.  Here's the YouTube video:

Post-recording notes: Color matches the name, a sort of hot pink. I gave up on trying to get the images to look right. The video, especially the swab on the swatch card is the closest color-wise. The zoom photo is a little too pale - the actual color is more hot pink than the image suggests. The same could be said for the absorbent paper image. The scan is off, and I don't know how to explain its off-ness. :( The screencapture is also off.  I think maybe the cameras attributed too much blue to this color, or something...  The swatch on the card is what the ink looks like in person - even in EF...

Cleaning was easy despite the fact that the ink likes to cling.  You'll need pen flush or a swab to convince it to let go, or perhaps more plain-water flushes than I was willing to try. :)

And here is a screen of the final result, for those not interested in the video:
large.LamyVibrantPink.jpg.e07b1d43ccf64d6aae798657c1cd67ec.jpg

Scan of Completed Review:
large.LamyVibrantPinkS.jpg.b09097aea6cdc65595c9e66e930a2d42.jpg

Zoomed in photo:
large.LamyVibrantPinkZ.jpg.656f3c37005ec14cb7c7193e39e0fa7d.jpg

Absorbent Paper Closeup (top is puzzle paper like thick newsprint, bottom is old 20lb copy paper):
large.LamyVibrantPinkAP.jpg.61b47ac177832cf708fa671e6dd1607b.jpg

Images also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap

Previous Review: Herbin Cacao du Brésil.

Want to influence the inky sequence?  Take the "next ink" poll.

Need to catch up on The Adventures of Quin and Makhabesh?  Find the whole story here.

Hope you enjoy.  Comments appreciated!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• chromantic

• amberleadavis

• yazeh

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great job, Liz :thumbup: 

You can't win them all colour wise.. that's a cross between Pepto-Bismol, that the spell checker refers to as dismal and bubble gum.... 

What happened to the winged goat, who was supposed to munch on Marcell's beard for eternity? ;) 😛 :D

Another great review, thanks Liz. I ended up with 2 bottles of this because it was on sale. I only tested it briefly and it's pleasant enough, fairly vibran, and the little sparkles add some zazz but I'm spoiled by Pinkly!

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Yowza, that's PINK!

This reminds me of a bottle I already have. From a maker I can't remember, but it was all about numbers.  5280?  5820?  You had to supply your own label.

Thanks for the review.  I'm getting a kick out of the way the 'writing sample' evolved from Five Boxing Wizards to an entire army of Sphinxi.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Thanks you as always @LizEF - great review.

Definitely not for me - there's pink, and there's PIIIIIINKKKK and this is just too in yer face for even my pinkest of pens. 

I'm impressed with the dry time though, and slightly surprised by the wetness and lubrication - I generally find Lamy inks too dry for my liking.

I'll look forward to whatever's coming next!

2 hours ago, yazeh said:

Great job, Liz :thumbup: 

Thank you!

2 hours ago, yazeh said:

You can't win them all colour wise.. that's a cross between Pepto-Bismol, that the spell checker refers to as dismal and bubble gum.... 

Well, my images don't do it justice - it's definitely a "hotter" pink than either Pepto or bubblegum.  The swab on the card at the start of the video is a much more accurate representation of the color seen even from the EF.

2 hours ago, yazeh said:

What happened to the winged goat, who was supposed to munch on Marcell's beard for eternity? ;) 😛 :D

:lticaptd:I'm saving the goat for their next adventure - whatever that happens to be...

1 hour ago, chromantic said:

Another great review, thanks Liz. I ended up with 2 bottles of this because it was on sale. I only tested it briefly and it's pleasant enough, fairly vibran, and the little sparkles add some zazz but I'm spoiled by Pinkly!

Thank you!  And you're most welcome! :)

Hmm.  Sparkles?  Is there glitter in this ink?  I didn't get any glitter... :unsure:  Just googled Levenger Pinkly - yeah, that's even more hot pink!  Suitable for Cindi Lauper's hair... ;)

1 hour ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Yowza, that's PINK!

:lol: Indeed!  But as it turns out, Levenger Pinkly is pinker! :D

1 hour ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Thanks for the review.  I'm getting a kick out of the way the 'writing sample' evolved from Five Boxing Wizards to an entire army of Sphinxi.

You're most welcome! :)  I'm beginning to think I should write an actual book about the adventures of Quin and Makhabesh - fully fleshed out instead of chopped into short bits...

I'm also considering dropping the quote and writing prompt - it takes me a long time (sometimes) to find a quote that seems suitable to me.  And no one is clamoring for more quotes or writing prompts, whereas many seem to like the Q&M series, so I could include another sentence or two there if I dropped the quote and writing prompt.  If anyone has strong opinions here, please let me know. :)

47 minutes ago, mizgeorge said:

Thanks you as always @LizEF - great review.

:) You're very welcome!  Thanks!

48 minutes ago, mizgeorge said:

Definitely not for me - there's pink, and there's PIIIIIINKKKK and this is just too in yer face for even my pinkest of pens.

:lol: Stay away from Pinkly, then!  I dislike pastel pinks, but don't mind hot pinks so much...

49 minutes ago, mizgeorge said:

I'm impressed with the dry time though, and slightly surprised by the wetness and lubrication - I generally find Lamy inks too dry for my liking.

Yes, me too.  Behavior-wise, it's really quite good.  I haven't used too many Lamy inks - I can't remember the boring blue cartridge that came with my Al-Star (beyond the fact that it was boring).  I like the Blue-Black, but mostly in my overly wet and broad fine-nib Pelikan, and then there's next week's review..... :D

51 minutes ago, mizgeorge said:

I'll look forward to whatever's coming next!

:) Thank you.

Thanks for another great review!

1 hour ago, LizEF said:

I dislike pastel pinks, but don't mind hot pinks so much...

Same here. I don't mind muted or unsaturated colours at all, but (for my tastes) they ought to be tranquil, calming or broody. Lighter pastel colours are none of those things to me. On the other hand, I love colours that are in-your-face and intrude terribly on someone's conscious attention as soon as it comes into their field of vision… especially if I'm wearing that colour in my apparel, such that they have to look at it while I mostly don't. 😎

1 hour ago, LizEF said:

Sparkles?  Is there glitter in this ink?  I didn't get any glitter... :unsure:

Hmmm, I don't know or remember this to be a shimmer ink, so I didn't shake the bottle before filling your sample, sorry. For the ones that I noted were shimmer inks, I did.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

17 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

Same here. I don't mind muted or unsaturated colours at all, but (for my tastes) they ought to be tranquil, calming or broody. Lighter pastel colours are none of those things to me. On the other hand, I love colours that are in-your-face and intrudes terribly on someone's conscious attention as soon as it comes into their field of vision… especially if I'm wearing that colour in my apparel, such that they have to look at it while I mostly don't. 😎

:lol:

17 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

Hmmm, I don't know or remember this to be a shimmer ink, so I didn't shake the bottle before filling your sample, sorry. For the ones that I noted were shimmer inks, I did.

It may not be - I haven't gone to research.  Maybe there's something else sparkly about it - it seems it will sheen in heavy applications, but I don't recall any sheen.

1 hour ago, A Smug Dill said:

Vis mentions it in his/her review, tiny gold particles. Very sparing so it can't really be called a shimmer.

3 hours ago, LizEF said:

:lol: Indeed!  But as it turns out, Levenger Pinkly is pinker! :D

You're most welcome! :)  I'm beginning to think I should write an actual book about the adventures of Quin and Makhabesh - fully fleshed out instead of chopped into short bits...

I'm also considering dropping the quote and writing prompt - it takes me a long time (sometimes) to find a quote that seems suitable to me.  And no one is clamoring for more quotes or writing prompts, whereas many seem to like the Q&M series, so I could include another sentence or two there if I dropped the quote and writing prompt.  If anyone has strong opinions here, please let me know. :)

I needed today's quote.  Iz all I can say.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

2 hours ago, chromantic said:

Vis mentions it in his/her review, tiny gold particles. Very sparing so it can't really be called a shimmer.

Huh.  Didn't notice this.

54 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

I needed today's quote.  Iz all I can say.

:) Thank you.  I'm not going to run out of quotes for a while, so we'll see.

Hi Liz.

Thanks for the review!

I like both, the adventure as well as the quote. As long as you have quotes 'on stock', please continue. Still looking forward how the story develops.

Sunny summer greetings!

One life!

7 hours ago, InesF said:

Hi Liz.

Thanks for the review!

I like both, the adventure as well as the quote. As long as you have quotes 'on stock', please continue. Still looking forward how the story develops.

Sunny summer greetings!

:) You're very welcome!  Thank you for the feedback.  I'll keep doing quotes at least that long.  I may have to reinstall XP Mode when they run out (I have an old CD that won't work on newer versions of Windows that has some very old quotes - from centuries ago, which I find much more meaningful than the trite quotes from modern celebrities and politicians which seem to be about all I find when I "google"...)

We'll soon be on the downward arc of the Oily Adventure, before starting a new adventure. :)

Sunny, but not too hot, please, summer greetings to you too! (Oddly, July has not been as hot as June was for us - I'm hoping August doesn't melt us off the map!)

27 minutes ago, namrehsnoom said:

Thanks for this review… always great to know an ink is not for me 😉

:)  You're very welcome!

• 7 months later...

Here's the line width measurement. The line is one of those used for dry time.  Magnification is 100x.  The grid is 100x100µm.  The scale is 330µm, with eleven divisions of 30µm each.  The line width for this ink is roughly 360µm.

large.LamyVibrantPinkLW.jpg.a6d80dd6603c18ab4e602977142f69c1.jpg

• 5 months later...

After initially planning on using Pinkly in my Optima Luce Rosa, I decided to use this instead. Great match for the pen and well-behaved, too.