ADVICE NEEDED -STUCK ON TWO PENS-

ZacharyParker

So I went to my local montblanc store today and tested a few pens. 100% hard-set on the starwalker fountain.

But I also tried the Tiffany one too at the tiffany store. It's a lot more but i noticed with Tiffany the pen is covered for LIFE vs two years with the MB. I thought MB was LIFE too.

Which one do you guys think is the best and why?

thanks guys. I'm buying my new fountain pen on monday if i can decide with you guys help.

https://www.tiffany.com/accessories/desk/diamond-point-fountain-pen-60573670/

https://www.montblanc.com/en-us/fountain-pens_cod46353151656005337.html

I also like this one too. But it's NOT fully gold just gold coated. I could've sworn i watched a video on youtube saying all MB pens are made of solid gold. I know the Tiffany one is solid silver.

https://www.montblanc.com/en-us/fountain-pens_cod34480784411772506.html

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZacharyParker

• sandy101

• Bo Bo Olson

• Dione

Top Posters In This Topic

The nib on the MB is solid gold. The remainder is some form of gold plate. I would not be surprised if there are some gold MB fountain pens out there, but they would be much much more expensive.

If it is the guarantee that you are interested in, then Cross pens also come with a lifetime guarantee - and you can get a Cross Century II that is solid silver with an 18K nib, or the Cross peerless (gold coloured) with a fantastic 18K nib.

Century II Sterling Silver Fountain Pen (cross.com)

Peerless 125 23KT Gold Plated Fountain Pen (cross.com)

However, if you have handled both the MB and the Tiffany, I would suggest that you thnk about which pen suited your hand the best. There is no point in spending any money on a pen that does not suit your hand. If they both fit well, then go by the aestetics.  

Which pen inspired you the most? 

If it means anything to you then Montblanc manufacture their pens in Hamburg, Germany. Tiffany does not manufacture pens. However I found this previous FPN thread showing who probably does manufacture Tiffany pens. If I was choosing then I would choose the Montblanc Starwalker.

12 hours ago, ZacharyParker said:

100% hard-set on the starwalker fountain

Add lightness and simplicate.

A solid gold pen will be quite heavy — and cost even more than $1600.  I wouldn’t think it would be a very practical writing instrument.  The plated 146 sounds more practical.  

8 hours ago, sandy101 said:

The nib on the MB is solid gold. The remainder is some form of gold plate. I would not be surprised if there are some gold MB fountain pens out there, but they would be much much more expensive.

If it is the guarantee that you are interested in, then Cross pens also come with a lifetime guarantee - and you can get a Cross Century II that is solid silver with an 18K nib, or the Cross peerless (gold coloured) with a fantastic 18K nib.

Century II Sterling Silver Fountain Pen (cross.com)

Peerless 125 23KT Gold Plated Fountain Pen (cross.com)

However, if you have handled both the MB and the Tiffany, I would suggest that you thnk about which pen suited your hand the best. There is no point in spending any money on a pen that does not suit your hand. If they both fit well, then go by the aestetics.  

Which pen inspired you the most? 

OMG. That cross looks so nice for the price and it's .925 with a life warranty.

I wanna say the Tiffany only because of the warranty. It's a lot but if you think about it you'll never have to buy another pen for life.    I like the MB but was also wondering about resale value if i decide to buy another pen down the road or upgrade!!

8 hours ago, sandy101 said:

I was thinking since tiffany doesn't produce pens solely. if they come out with a new version. The tiffany would have better resale value due to the rareness if i upgrade. IF.....

There are very, very few pens that increase in value because they are out of production.

If you want something like that - then your best bet would probably be a MB Writer's Edition - such as the current Conan Doyle (and even then it's not guaranteed).

The Tiffany FP has been on sale for decades, which means there is not a shortage of them - and there is nothing to stop Waldemann from producing more of them should Tiffany ordering them.  

The same Tiffany, but second hand might offer you better value than a new one. (I've got 2nd hand MBs, Waterman's and Parkers and they are nice too).

If you are in London, you might want to pay a visit to the London Pen Show tomorrow, and you might find what you are looking for. 

So this maybe a complete 180. But a friend let me you his FINELINER pen. Omgggggg. It writes so smooth. Almost like a marker.

Now I'm almost 100000% deadset on MB now. But now wondering fountain vs fineliner.

What's the pro's and cons with fineliner? ,also i noticed the fineliner in the price range of the fountains. , what is you guys opinions on fineliner?

https://www.montblanc.com/en-us/fineliners_cod34480784411792073.html

Also I noticed MB DOESN'T sell refills for the fineliner?

Am i missing something?

https://www.montblanc.com/en-us/categories/refills

LOL. Sorry was browsing on my tablet. Did not see that tab at first.

Is fineliner a good pen for long term use vs fountain? , I was amazed of the smoothness. Is fineliner like in between fountain and roller ball really?

Thanks.

Of course, the first refill is for free...

Hey kids, wanna try some MontBlancs?

We know how this ends - Nakayas!

But I can give them up any time...

(bleep) the pusher... (song on Easy Rider soundtrack)

100% get the Montblanc. Montblanc is a fountain pen brand, Tiffany is not. Are you paying for the name with both of them, yes, but definitely more with the Tiffany. It’s probably just some cheap-o pen made to look fancy. Get the Montblanc.

12 hours ago, sandy101 said:

but they would be much much more expensive.

$14,000 for  a '50's standard sized 14 K 742,,,I got a 742 in rolled gold one for E 150.

What pens do you have, what nib width?

The best advice is not to buy a Ferrari, on your 16 year old learners permit.

I have 5-6 MB's and 75 other pens....so I suggest getting a cheaper pen, a Pelikan 200...in it's springy regular flex  nib is lots better than other Pelikans or a or modern MB.

I suggest buying grand ex-flagship vintage or semi-vintage pens, (old pretty used pens with great balance...that work today as good as new) more bang for the buck; and better nibs and gives you some experience.

If you have red tags on your suit, buy an MB....and as you said....don't even have to be a fountain pen....Snowflake in your shirt pocket.....

Do stay with Fineliners or other Ball points or Roller balls.

You don't have to learn anything then to make a wise decision.

Yard o Lead makes a fine silver pen....a great silver pen is the Vintage P-75 with fantastic balance..(not the Sonnet which is not in the P-75's class.)

I do admit in 1970, the Stirling silver P-75 was lots more blingy than the black and gold Snorkel I was going to buy....I was a One Man, One Pen guy for 40 years.

The P-75 is a triple threat, squeeze filler, converter or cartridge. Light for silver, sturdy and greatly balanced.

Notice I speak of balance a lot...it's something you will want if you are going to be a One Man, One Pen fella.....the 146 has fair balance and is relatively nimble....it is a Large pen....

The cartridge 144 I think it is, is thinner .

The 149 is a Honking Huge pen....defiantly not a beginner's pen.

In you are new to fountain pens; and Heavy Handed from ball point use, I would suggest a pen with a nail/manifold nib; which is harder to bend.....something noobies can do, not knowing their own strength.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Don’t buy anything. Sit on it and let your emotions cool down.

And then remember: Tiffany is great at jewelry, but fountain pens are not its thing. Mont Blanc makes great pens, but many think they’re overpriced. 

Figure out what’s most important to you and then decide. 

No signature. I'm boring that way.

6 hours ago, ZacharyParker said:

OMG. That cross looks so nice for the price and it's .925 with a life warranty.

I wanna say the Tiffany only because of the warranty. It's a lot but if you think about it you'll never have to buy another pen for life.    I like the MB but was also wondering about resale value if i decide to buy another pen down the road or upgrade!!

LMAO.

I said that about 20 pens ago...

You new to fountain pens? If so, I wouldn't buy either of those pens as your first pen. A lot of people will see their preferences shift once they've had some time in the "hobby" and have used many different pens.

If you can't be dissuaded, I would strongly encourage you to look past the warranty and just get the pen that fits your hand the best. These are high quality pens and the chance of you needing warranty service is slim. Comfort and writing performance would be higher on my list than the warranty.

Having said all that, the section on that MB looks...uncomfortable. And the section on the Tiffany is polished, which would usually make it slippery if it were steel or chrome...but if it's pure silver then it might very well be tolerable and have decent traction. That pen is probably pretty heavy though...

My vote would go to the Tiffany if it just HAS to be one of those two. If you're open to other MB's I'd say get a plain-Jane 146 to start...