Quick question about edges on a Lamy 2000 FP

HyperCamper

Hi,

I've recently bought a Lamy 2000 FP. It looks great, but I haven't inked it yet! The problem is that the point where the makrolon barrel and the stainless steel section meet is very tangible. Is it my OCD or should those edges be perfectly flush and unnoticeable? I thought that all LAmy 2000 pens (FP, MP, RB, BP) were designed so that the transition between the makrolon and stainless steel should be intangible... 🤔

Thanks!

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey."

- John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Pelikan M800 Green (18C-750 OM), Pelikan 4001 Königsblau

Pelikan M200 "Citroenpers" (14C-585 M), Diamine Monaco Red

Pelikan M200 "Citroenpers" (14C-585 F), Diamine Prussian Blue

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HyperCamper

• sirgilbert357

• Astronymus

• arcfide

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

By "tangible", I assume you're asking whether there's a "step" between the makrolon and the section. Mine is very smooth - running my finger across the two, I really can't feel any discontinuity.

The stainless section and the barrel are flush for me, but the piston knob on the back of the pen is not nearly as flush or as "blind" as people have often reported.

If you know it’s there, the join between barrel and section is noticeable.  You will certainly  be aware of it after taking a Lamy 2000 apart because you’re unlikely to get it just right the first time.  I would argue that it’s better for the join to be noticeable because cranking the barrel down is what breaks these pens.

5 hours ago, gyasko said:

If you know it’s there, the join between barrel and section is noticeable.  You will certainly  be aware of it after taking a Lamy 2000 apart because you’re unlikely to get it just right the first time.  I would argue that it’s better for the join to be noticeable because cranking the barrel down is what breaks these pens.

Thanks for all the replies! Am I right in assuming that I'd be able to "tweak" the edge a bit when reassembling the pen? That being said, is (dis)assembly difficult and / or ill advised? 🤔

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey."

Disassembly is deceptively easy. When taking an L2K apart, one needs to be careful not to lose the easily-lost washer/clip that includes the "ears". On reassembly, be sure not to overtighten or cross-thread the barrel into the section.

1 hour ago, HyperCamper said:

That being said, is (dis)assembly difficult and / or ill advised? 🤔

I personally think that disassembly of this and most other pens is useful in rare cases, but not meant to be something that you do on a regular basis. I think disassembly contributes to a lot of accelerated wear on pens that would otherwise have lasted a lot longer. I doubt that it's worth the effort to attempt to fix the step through disassembly and reassembly. I'd just use and love the pen. 

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Pics would help.

While you may be able to feel it, the material is supposed to be smooth across that transition. The pieces are meant to align...same with the piston knob and barrel end -- they should be smooth and align with each other.

Thanks again. I contacted Lamy and they say that the transition should be perfectly seamless as the body and the stainless steel section are sanded down together áfter assembly. I've returned the pen and I truely hope I won't be forced to write a review of the aftermath...

7 minutes ago, HyperCamper said:

I've returned the pen and I truely hope I won't be forced to write a review of the aftermath...

Both the connection between barrel and section, and barrel and piston knob are virtually invisible to the naked eye, and barely tangible when trying to feel for it. 

Here are some very (very) close ups.

7CA791D5-858B-4F7D-A6A7-06B08E096413.thumb.jpeg.6a95be9221ea3edafdab117f0215bf21.jpegB0923952-CD6D-4D36-AF7B-356DAD41F9E1.thumb.jpeg.f7b360110311b7c706414973ad367217.jpeg

Thanks, Nick, those pictures are quite telling. 👍

On 8/9/2021 at 10:13 AM, HyperCamper said:

Thanks again. I contacted Lamy and they say that the transition should be perfectly seamless as the body and the stainless steel section are sanded down together áfter assembly. I've returned the pen and I truely hope I won't be forced to write a review of the aftermath...

That makes sense. My first Lamy 2000 was so perfect, I didn't even see the seam for the piston knob. It was almost invisible. I had to unscrew it to see they were two distinct pieces. My next (and current) L2K was not quite as well finished, sadly, but it is still VERY clean.

Someone not into pens wouldn't notice that my current L2K has a piston knob at all...

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the verdict is in.

Lamy Germany says the transitions should be perfectly seamless and Lamy USA (whom the seller claims to have contacted) says a pen without those seamless transitions is perfectly fine.

Therefore the seller unilaterally decided that me sending the pen back is "a change of mind" which does not entitle me to a replacement, reimbursement of the shipping costs or reimbursement of the VAT. That's a mighty fine attempt to read my mind now, isn't it? It does however entitle me to some super duper perks: a refund minus a charge 5% for processing the return of the pen. It has also provided me with the single most absurd and worst experience with an online seller (and the following customer service) I have ever had the misfortune of experiencing in over 25 years of buying pens. All in all, I have spent over € 80,00 and am left with nothing (in this specific case). The worst thing is that I incorrectly assumed the seller could be relied upon to play fair. 😔

I will certainly inform Lamy Germany about this seller. Maybe they could contact their colleagues in the US and compare notes. I have never written a review "in anger" before, but this experience warrants one. If only to keep other members from experiencing this themselves. I'll update this post when I've posted the review or if a miracle does yet happen.

A question for the review (I hope this is the right place): I want to add the entire mailconversation with seller to the review. Not inline, but for reference. What would be the best way to go about that? Any suggestions? Thanks.

On 9/1/2021 at 10:01 PM, HyperCamper said:

A question for the review (I hope this is the right place): I want to add the entire mailconversation with seller to the review. Not inline, but for reference. What would be the best way to go about that? Any suggestions? Thanks.

I don't know how this is in The Netherlands, but in most countries this would be indictable. Especialy if your opponent is identifiable. They might be entitled to sue you for the pillory effect and get even more money out of it. I wouldn't do that part if I were you.

Ofcourse, I'd remove the names of the people involved. 👍

On 9/1/2021 at 3:01 PM, HyperCamper said:

Well, the verdict is in.

Lamy Germany says the transitions should be perfectly seamless and Lamy USA (whom the seller claims to have contacted) says a pen without those seamless transitions is perfectly fine.

Therefore the seller unilaterally decided that me sending the pen back is "a change of mind" which does not entitle me to a replacement, reimbursement of the shipping costs or reimbursement of the VAT. That's a mighty fine attempt to read my mind now, isn't it? It does however entitle me to some super duper perks: a refund minus a charge 5% for processing the return of the pen. It has also provided me with the single most absurd and worst experience with an online seller (and the following customer service) I have ever had the misfortune of experiencing in over 25 years of buying pens. All in all, I have spent over € 80,00 and am left with nothing (in this specific case). The worst thing is that I incorrectly assumed the seller could be relied upon to play fair. 😔

I will certainly inform Lamy Germany about this seller. Maybe they could contact their colleagues in the US and compare notes. I have never written a review "in anger" before, but this experience warrants one. If only to keep other members from experiencing this themselves. I'll update this post when I've posted the review or if a miracle does yet happen.

Lamy warrants the pen. Send it to Lamy Germany and they will replace it. They will likely only charge you the shipping to send it to them. They might even cover that. What do you have to lose by asking? Get the pen sorted, you have nothing else to gain by dragging the seller's name through the mud. You'll only get dirty too...

5 hours ago, sirgilbert357 said:

Lamy warrants the pen. Send it to Lamy Germany and they will replace it. They will likely only charge you the shipping to send it to them. They might even cover that. What do you have to lose by asking? Get the pen sorted, you have nothing else to gain by dragging the seller's name through the mud. You'll only get dirty too...

If I understood the above correctly, the OP sent the pen to the seller to deal with and they kept the pen.