ex-mancave upgrade

Bo Bo Olson

As a combination discussion of several items in this thread, here is a photo of the Cathedral Basilica of Saint Francis of Assisi in Santa Fe  taken late in the afternoon immediately before the State of New Mexico went into pandemic lockdown in March 2020.

The downtown of Santa Fe was eerily quiet just before sundown that late afternoon, and the area in front of the Cathedral Basilica was utterly empty of tourists, a rarity.  In walking around the downtown area, I perhaps encountered three people over an an hour.

This August 2021 weekend in Santa Fe, there are tens of thousands of tourists here for Indian Market.

John P.

Cathedral Basilica of Saint Francis of Assisi Santa Fe Mar 2020_DSC2375.jpg

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• Anne-Sophie

• PJohnP

• sansenri

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you Paul,

In the pictures I had of the quarry was in black and white and the same with the church that was not finished in my book 1881/2....yellow limestone would have been missed.

I had the Rose window.....your color picture link is good.

Somehow I got locked up in the past's b&W pictures and didn't look hard enough at the color of the cathedral. Makes it look more joyful in color.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Beautiful picture! The colors are amazing!

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

And they built that over an adobe church that was still in use, so no services were missed.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

The light in New Mexico is renowned for the deep colour and saturation, especially at dawn and sunset.  Painters and photographers from all over the world flock here to see and capture that light.

Once the pandemic has been abated successfully, Santa Fe is a destination for visitors to experience that sense of wonder.

John P.

Come Visit Santa Fe at Sunset Mar 2020_DSC2430.jpg

Got that picture from the other side of the street in B&W. @ 1880.

It's nice to be able to really add the color.

20 minutes ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

Got that picture from the other side of the street in B&W. @ 1880.

It's nice to be able to really add the color.

Chuckle.  Wow.  I didn't know that you were that old !

Seriously, from our occasional FPN correspondence over the years, I know that Santa Fe has been an area of interest for you. 

I've lived here for many years now, and I see wonderful and new things here every single day.

Here are colourful images, two from last year, and then one from this year (albeit in infrared with the lens flare so common to these images).  It's a pretty photo rich environment, to be sure.

John P.

The Scottish Rite Temple at Sunset in Santa Fe Mar 2020_DSC2604.jpg

Lamp Post Shadow on La Fonda Santa Fe Mar 2020_DSC2526.jpg

Museum of New Mexico No 2 Channel Switch IR D100 10-20mm Sigma Apr 2021 DSC_0519 small.jpg

On 8/21/2021 at 8:51 PM, PJohnP said:

As a combination discussion of several items in this thread, here is a photo of the Cathedral Basilica of Saint Francis of Assisi in Santa Fe  taken late in the afternoon immediately before the State of New Mexico went into pandemic lockdown in March 2020.

The downtown of Santa Fe was eerily quiet just before sundown that late afternoon, and the area in front of the Cathedral Basilica was utterly empty of tourists, a rarity.  In walking around the downtown area, I perhaps encountered three people over an an hour.

This August 2021 weekend in Santa Fe, there are tens of thousands of tourists here for Indian Market.

John P.

Cathedral Basilica of Saint Francis of Assisi Santa Fe Mar 2020_DSC2375.jpg

Wow!

Okay, now I want to got there someday -- just to walk the labyrinth....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth :thumbup:

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

8 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

Wow!

Okay, now I want to got there someday -- just to walk the labyrinth....

Ruth :

There are several labyrinths around Santa Fe, as well as a fair number in NM...  and I'm not even posting images from elsewhere in the state.

I'll admit that I've not walked them myself, but I've seen a fair few in my travels here.  Stay in touch, and I'll do my best to help you find them !

I must mention, however, that once we're clear of the pandemic time, there may be a few other people around that you don't see in my images (IR or natural light)...  <arched eyebrow>

There are some rather decent reasons why New Mexico is called "The Land of Enchantment", and I've not yet mentioned the fine pen store that we have here, Santa Fe Pens.

John P.

Palace of the Governors IR D100 with Sigma 10-20 Channel Swap DSC_0503 small.jpg

Beautiful photos.  

My father's family and much of the family history is all from this area, so I had the privilege of spending a fair amount of time in Santa Fe.  It is every bit as beautiful as this photos show.  My favorite time of year in Santa Fe, however, is late fall and winter.  There are not as many people, and there is a special crispness in the air that is really special.  While much has stayed the same, so much has changed.  

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Of course in B&W,  there were two  of them....one is in the Sanborn map, a saloon was owned by a minor someone.

The other something to do with the Governor, had a park on the other side.

Got to remember to add the color.

Palace of the Governors IR D100 with Sigma 10-20 Channel Swap DSC_0503 small.jpg

This is that Windsor Hotel skyscraper I talked about. 5 whole stories high, with an one story observation deck in the corner.

Notice the telephone mast yard arms.

gPk6k52.jpg

Title

Looking East on San Francisco Street from Sandoval Street, Santa Fe, New Mexico Date Original1880 - 1882

The picture from the file it is in, refused to copy to Imgur.........but it was similar, but not the same.

I was glad I found the pictures as was....they played hide and seek.

13 hours ago, DrDebG said:

Beautiful photos.  

My father's family and much of the family history is all from this area, so I had the privilege of spending a fair amount of time in Santa Fe.  It is every bit as beautiful as this photos show.  My favorite time of year in Santa Fe, however, is late fall and winter.  There are not as many people, and there is a special crispness in the air that is really special.  While much has stayed the same, so much has changed.  

Thanks for the compliment !

Autumn and winter are indeed glorious seasons in Santa Fe.   The large art markets are held in summer, so most visitors never have that sensation of the crisp evenings with the scent of piñon smoke in the air.

John P.

5 hours ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

Of course in B&W,  there were two  of them....one is in the Sanborn map, a saloon was owned by a minor someone.

The other something to do with the Governor, had a park on the other side.

Got to remember to add the color.

Heh.  Well, if you're adding the colour to the Palace of the Governors, do note that my image was shot in infrared with "channel switching" to give the sky that shade of blue !

Alternately, if you see in IR naturally, that might look just fine...   🤪

John P.

15 hours ago, PJohnP said:

There are several labyrinths around Santa Fe, as well as a fair number in NM...  and I'm not even posting images from elsewhere in the state.

There's a place the next town over from me that is one of those "spiritual centers" and I've walked that one a few times.  There's also one that is printed on canvas that you can walk (I've done it once) in the basement of the big Episcopal church in Pittsburgh's East Liberty neighborhood (but with COVID I don't know what's going on with that one currently).

I got interested because there's a guy in the SCA who lives near here, who used to draw chalk ones on the pavement at Pennsic (he did a lot of research on the different patterns).  It always made for a nice break when you're working to take a few minutes to walk one of those (and fun to watch little kids do it as well).  I alway those that those just added to the ambiance at the event (and one year, there was set up in the Kingdom encampment as well).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Anne-Sophie and Paul, thank you for your encouragement.

Quite a while back my computer died bad....and I lost the last two chapters to the third book of the Saga....at least the last chapter.

That gutted me.

I've gone back and can find the third to last chapter. (defiantly got to cut the guns....over written for 6 people in the US; of whom I don't know the other five. )

I'm sure if I can recover the second to last chapter, (really want that, in it's got lots of in time people, occurrences and El Paso as a 'small' city.) I can re-write the last one. There are fragments to be had.

The last couple of days I've been lost in searching....and finally got something that is  or was fairly complete. third from last chapter.

My chapters run 40-60 pages.

I am sorry about the computer, I had one with a tiny faulty plastic part, which made the laptop overheat so badly, I had to shut it down, otherwise it would have burned me.

As a serious writer, think about an external hard drive, and cloud backup.

Your research is so precise that I am sure that you can find your characters in new and even better adventures.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

There is hope for El Paso, was half way through a chapter last night.

I have hopes.

But the last chapter is not there. A search for Banjo brings up nothing. My little murderess is learning the woodbacked banjo on the trip from El Paso to Chihuahua.

Banjo had a following from 1870-1900's. It's a little bit that shows Mercedes/Elena has been Anglicized, instead of her buying a guitar.

I'll let you know if El Paso is complete. There is a gun fighter that was important. 

Well, the last 3 chapters were 7-8 and I managed to find all but the last one....just got to knit them together.

I was not very organized in numbering chapters...in I named them to work on. Half here, half there....I'd thought I was missing more than I was.

There are a couple first draft fragments of the last chapter. I do know where they went and what they saw, just have to describe that again.

Keep up the good work Bo Bo!

Before I ask you for more pictures of your inkwells.

I am sooo happy that I decided to go on the FPN, before heading to some zzzzs, and that I opened this thread, just before you were about to close it.

Sometimes, I have to forgo going online, if I ever want to use my fountain pens, or do any artwork.

Or, the dreaded paperwork or other inevitable chores.