ex-mancave upgrade

Bo Bo Olson

Thank you so much, such beautiful pictures!

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• Anne-Sophie

• PJohnP

• sansenri

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Many interesting objects, drool worthy pens, thanks for sharing.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

What is the black item that looks like a chopped column?

5wGNLz5.jpg

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

Is that the one you call Art Nouveau/ Art Deco overlap?

The "skirt" looks Art Nouveau but the inkwell itself looks Art Deco.

VZ5ybAj.jpg

4 hours ago, Anne-Sophie said:

What is the black item that looks like a chopped column?

5wGNLz5.jpg

I'm guessing it is a Bakelite pencil sharpener.

9 hours ago, ParramattaPaul said:

I'm guessing it is a Bakelite pencil sharpener.

Yep....

........................Anne-Sophie

Pure Art Nouveau....and one of my early buys...iwtlnRS.jpgVZ5ybAj.jpg

Sterling silver tops.... Got to get the wife's cell phone/handie as we call them over there....and make a better picture.

V4XB4Jo.jpg

McJptaE.jpg

This is more towards-Bauhaus than Art Decco....or more than likely towards the 1890-1930 English style.

B7i80hT.jpg

cZdsO8P.jpg

UFQqflh.jpg

This below is more Art Decco.....off the English art. IMO Art Decco has it's roots in the English 1870-90's Craftman style.

6aUhjBZ.jpg

Got to get the wife's phone....it just don't show the engraving well.

71zymDv.jpg

lousy picture.... Art NouveauaquUGjG.jpg

'20-30's not Art Decco....

BZdXLYP.jpg

Well Art Decco can go from just before WW1 to near 1940...with different national influences that are enough that Wien, is different from Paris and so on.

Often what I would think as more Art Nouveau, or late Art Nouveau, is considered Art Decco by Wiki.:glare:

After thinning my library radically, I only have one book left on each....

There is a classic bar on Malta, with that wonderful mid '30's Italian Air Art Decco style....:puddle: ...Walked in...what class, flair, fine woods, heavy enough to be solid, light enough to be airy.

Later, I'd run into similar at LTU's first class lounge in Frankfurt. It's charming that, when it's good, Avaant guard can age into charming retro, and still retain it's class.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

1850's French...silver....and it is dried cuttle fish, not sand that one put on ink to dry it  back then.

And quills were stripped but for a fluff at the end to flick off the cuttle fish crumbs from the paper......in drafty old castles and homes, one didn't want a full plum or the wind could make the quill move in the middle of the word. So once again Hollywood is wrong.

JcjPbKq.jpg

XC9rnB1.jpg

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

19 hours ago, senzen said:

Many interesting objects, drool worthy pens, thanks for sharing.

Some time soon, I've got to learn to take photo's with my wife's handi....got a whole bunch of pens in my two pen box with shelves.

Bo Bo, being French the last two pictures of the round inkwell with golden lids are definitely Art Nouveau.

Of course, there are also Maker's style like Lalique, Tiffany or Murano.

The style of the inkwell below looks strangely familiar, do you happen to know the name of the maker?

BZdXLYP.jpg

The French inkwell is gorgeous, was the silver column behind the inkwell a quill holder? It looks right at home with crinolines.

There was a big industry of dried cuttlebones to feed small birds.

It also seemed to have been used to make jewelry.

I just learn from you here, that it dried ink instead of sand, I have to say that cleaning sand from anywhere, in the house, was a major hurdle.

Leaving beside the sea for many years, I learned very quickly that sand was better removed out of one's garments and toys. in the garage or the garden.

On 8/6/2021 at 6:42 AM, Anne-Sophie said:

The French inkwell is gorgeous, was the silver column behind the inkwell a quill holder? 

Yes, three quill holders....of course @ 1850 steel nibs had already come in.

On 8/6/2021 at 6:42 AM, Anne-Sophie said:

that it dried...cuttle fish.....instead of sand

From my reading...There had been times when sand was used....as a buffer when a sheet of paper was laid on top of a sheet of slow drying inked paper to make sure the back of the top sheet didn't get smeared .

But normally it was ground up cuttlefish parts that absorbed ink.

No marks at all on the 'ultra' modern inkwell.

There were so many good Glasshutte....glass huts...in Germany, or Bohemia ....Wein or France......everywhere. I guesstimate this to be late '20's or up to mid 30's.

If mid-late '30's then not German or Austrian.....freedom of expression was limited by then. (Austria had it's very own ruling Hitler And Nazi party before Hitler took over Austria, in '38.)

Could be more Nordic (Danish/Swedish) than Parisian.

SJwaZUl.jpg

A while later the ink roller came in...When I don't know, right now I can't find my Montgomery Ward '94-95 replica catalog. (but don't have that in mind as I would from writing my western.)

In my 1900 and 1903 Sears they show no ink rollers, but there is of course missing pages. There are both single inkwells and double.

So it looks like Ink Rollers came in @ 1900.

This is what is refereed as a pounce pot/vessel, the grounded cuttlefish bones container.

I did a search, not with the ubiquitous search engine, which always gives retail stuff instead of relevant historical data, but a new one that gives more interesting links to pages and blogs.

So the rocker blotter seems to be Edwardian, so if I see descriptions of a Victorian rocker blotter, the people don't know what they are talking about. 

So the history would be Art Nouveau, Art Deco, Bauhaus, Mid-Century, then the 1960's and 70's styles with some left overs in the 80's by luxury brands for executive offices.

Now, where does the Art and Craft movement goes? in Wikipedia, it says 1880 and 1920, presumably there could have been ink blotter made in that movement's style up until Art Deco gets a strong grip on designs.

12 hours ago, Anne-Sophie said:

Now, where does the Art and Craft movement goes? in Wikipedia, it says 1880 and 1920, presumably there could have been ink blotter made in that movement's style up until Art Deco gets a strong grip on designs.

Could be..............I find the Art and Craft movement great.....ancestor of both Art Nouveau, & Art Deco. Could also tack on the simplicity of Bauhaus had roots in Arts and Craft.

Perhaps it got lost because it was English.....yet Sheridan wasn't so forgotten. (Well being American.....am more influenced by the English styles, Queen Ann, Chippendale.....non-dancing:P.

I'm not into Federal......................I had to understand something about furniture. I get to show what furniture was popular in 1844 in Syracuse; what was passe and so on.

I've a biography of an impressive woman I take from 1844-80's.

Hollywood is of course wrong!!!!

No one rode a butter churning prairie schooner unless a baby or very ill......, they wore out three pairs of shoes walking  to the gold fields of California..... She marched from the Wilds of Missouri to California, over the deadly 40 Mile Desert that killed 4-5,000 in two years; and back. Then walked  to the gold fields of Colorado.

A scandalous woman :o....divorced her husband, in he wanted to go chase gold in Montana...and she had found a way to marry her two daughters off to up and coming honorable men. She ended up owning the best Hotel in Colorado..............then re-married her true love and went to where they had once mined gold in California to watch the sunset, on a little ranch.  One,daughter married a man who went from owning a store to owning  ranches, one half of Nevada. The other, one of the three top lawyers in Colorado.

Got to finish that last chapter.

You -have to- give me the title of that autobiography or at least the name of the woman.

Tiffany Furnaces Rocker Blotters, have you heard of them?

There was an Art and Craft movement in America, Tiffany and Frank Lloyd Wright designs belong to it.

Below is the link from an essay published on 2008 by the Metropolitain Museum of Art with the title The Art and Craft Movement in America

https://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/acam/hd_acam.htm

The author propose that this movement was born as a reaction to the birth of the Industrial Revolution and the propagation of standardized industrial designs.

I am not much of a fan of Art and Craft, I can appreciate Art Nouveau, especially the iron work and the glass designs, in contrast I love Art Deco and Napoleon, the first Empire, jewel colors and straight line design.

Not long ago, I found out about a derivative of the style in the furniture designed for one of Napoleon's sister, with silver instead of gold ornaments and pastel instead of jewel tone .

Bourgeois empire, with the lines but no gold are popular reproduction in France.

Mary  Ann Alford...moved down the mountain from mile high or so, gold rich Central City.

At first in Central City,  they had a boarding house ($1.00 for bed and three servings of food.); but she had two early teen age daughters....and preparing 3 full meals for a bunch of hungry pigs was not worth the work. Danger for the daughters.

So they turned their boarding house into a Boarding Home for Select Gentlemen....charging them $3.00...men who could afford to pay Hotel prices....in there were no hotels actually in the Gold Mining camp. As soon as the Hotel opens she sells out and moves down the mountain.

She did have enough experience working in and running Hotels back in NY and in California gold mining camp.

Thirty minutes fast fall down the cliff stagecoach race down hill to Idaho Springs...(hot Springs) ...where one could breath.....

The second best hotel in town. The White Building. gfPBMj7.jpg

White building on the Corner.

yobqwYh.jpg

Both women were from Syracuse NY....the other owned the best hotel in town....where President Grant stayed.

Mary Alford moves to Golden Colorado, that was in the running to be capitol of Colorado....builds a great hotel there. That other woman builds a better one at the health spa of Manitoba Springs.

o2v4KxQ.jpg

Finally in Denver she put up the best hotel in Denver, in Colorado....for 3 years....All her hotels were called the Alvord House.....house sounded more homey than Hotel.

ZnV0RDn.jpg

I slipped her into my western Saga by 'mistake' and then realized she was one of wonder woman that could only happen along the frontiers.

Young love, marries at 14 to a 29 year old boat maker...of good family. West Coast Civil War General, US Marshal, NY Senator and so on.

Her too, her father was a copper who ended up with a salt factory. I get to add in Cuban mahogany to the furniture and who would have made it....one of the great woods of the world. Baking soda is just coming in....before that it took three women in the same kitchen 3 hours to make a cake. Measuring cups were brand new.

Wow! Thanks Bo Bo, so interesting!

What is interesting about the last photo above, is the number of women (and what appears to be a few children) who have climbed out of the hotel windows and on to the awning to be in the photograph.

It was designed as a balcony.

The Windsor directly across the street was a 5 story-6 story counting the the observation platform, Sky Scraper. 1880, to build an elevator you had to dig down as deep as you went high. The next year the modern version elevator of one cellar deep instead of many stories, came in.

Mary Ann sells her hotel in 1883/4.....by then it was the only the third best hotel in Denver.

Between the biography and the western saga.....I was able populate Denver and a bit the other three cities the Saga goes through.

For the Hotel, I have the manager, chef, wine steward and a few waiters.

(1882 the Windsor had a woman cook one of two in Denver.....not the Chef cook but one of his brigade.)

It is strange how one can be so irate at real history of 150 years ago. Women had it so bad....the start of woman's lib, was being a telephone operator. Before that working women had to live at home, making $0.50 a 12 hour day.

Men telephone operators were late to work, rude and gossiped about the business they overheard on the telephone for drinks or money at a local saloon.

Women were never late, always cheerful (having a great job) and most important of all, wouldn't be caught dead in a Saloon.

It was the first (outside of telegraph operator which needed family connections )  job a woman could keep a roof over her head and feed herself.

I mention three of the 6 female telephone operators in the US in 1881.

They had City Directories, of whom lived where and worked where.....and if said individual had a business telephone, the City Directory said 'telephone'. That was before telephone numbers.

"Hello Mable, Give me Alice."

Only the ultra rich had a home telephone.

Census records gave me, the wife and children's names and ages.

The Governor of Colorado adapted his long time nurse and her child. She was older then him. He'd been an ill man for much of his life.

He did have a wife and a couple children........... I guess it was done to make sure his will wouldn't be put aside.

Historians lie.......claiming the RR bypassed Santa Fe because it was too hard to reach......yet ox pulled wagon trains did it from 1840's -60's.  Called the Santa Fe Trail.

The local establishment bought up the right of ways, and wanted too much. They also owning much city property didn't want the normal RR new city built next to the old town. Killing off the old town....as normal.

Catholic Bishop Lamy, offered the RR free land.......he wanted a spur from his quarry at now Lamy to Santa Fe, so he could build his cathedral over his old adobe church.

He wanted to cut the power of the protestants that were moving in and taking power in Santa Fe.

Albuquerque NM, was an hour down the tracks from the Lamy spur, and did put up a new city next to the old town.....and grew.....Santa Fe stopped growing, as Bishop Lamy wished.

Two trains a day from the Lamy spur to Santa Fe. Why get off a train and wait to go to Santa Fe and wait when one got back on the train's main line, when you could go to Albuquerque in comfort. ...and invest in the new town lots.....the easterners came west to get rich and then go back east. So lost nothing in Santa Fe sitting at the end of a RR spur.

I had my murderous girl taking the spur to Lamy to go east, and took a look at the pictures...a RR station, a quarry and nothing else......and suddenly knew the 'official' BS was just that, the RR didn't need Santa Fe, especially given free land....and not getting a free town to sell.

When Route 66 in the '20-30's was being built, the democrat Governor of New Mexico had been removed by his party to be Governor again. So he moved heaven and hell to make sure Route 66 missed Santa Fe.

So now you know why Santa Fe is so 'charming', it got by passed by progress; twice.

"Historians lie.......claiming the RR bypassed Santa Fe because it was too hard to reach......yet ox pulled wagon trains did it from 1840's -60's.  Called the Santa Fe Trail.

The local establishment bought up the right of ways, and wanted too much. They also owning much city property didn't want the normal RR new city built next to the old town. Killing off the old town....as normal.

Catholic Bishop Lamy, offered the RR free land.......he wanted a spur from his quarry at now Lamy to Santa Fe, so he could build his cathedral over his old adobe church.

He wanted to cut the power of the protestants that were moving in and taking power in Santa Fe.

Albuquerque NM, was an hour down the tracks from the Lamy spur, and did put up a new city next to the old town.....and grew.....Santa Fe stopped growing, as Bishop Lamy wished.

Two trains a day from the Lamy spur to Santa Fe. Why get off a train and wait to go to Santa Fe and wait when one got back on the train's main line, when you could go to Albuquerque in comfort. ...and invest in the new town lots.....the easterners came west to get rich and then go back east. So lost nothing in Santa Fe sitting at the end of a RR spur.

I had my murderous girl taking the spur to Lamy to go east, and took a look at the pictures...a RR station, a quarry and nothing else......and suddenly knew the 'official' BS was just that, the RR didn't need Santa Fe, especially given free land....and not getting a free town to sell.

When Route 66 in the '20-30's was being built, the democrat Governor of New Mexico had been removed by his party to be Governor again. So he moved heaven and hell to make sure Route 66 missed Santa Fe.

So now you know why Santa Fe is so 'charming', it got by passed by progress; twice."

I studied History, in France, a thoroughly male dominated field, with a strict hierarchy, even in the latest decades of the 20th century.

A boring list of battles and massacres as well as "Great Men" had to be memorized, mostly leaving important women out of the picture by always associating them with a man.

Women interested in the field, had to go the literary route, studying Greek and Latin, if they wanted to study Antique history, medieval literature, classic literature, if they were interested in the women of these periods and getting phd's from French Grandes Ecoles, becoming the best specialist in those subjects.

In turn, they could get published in University Presses so they could get to His/ Her story this way, usually by publishing biographies of  important women in non-fiction popular books.

They all spent hours, months, years at La Bibliotheque Nationale (French Library of Congress) as well as, local libraries and privates ones, usually the ones associated with the castle of the women's birth, childhood, teen years, married lives, and later years and/or exile, sometimes in a castle, usually in a convent.

Via those books, we got great herstories, all built from primary sources, away form jealous male historians, who tried to diminish women or/and their accomplishments, some time from the day of their births and certainly in adulthood.

I suspect that the Native people from those areas were working at the mine, the same way they did on the Adobe church.

In a map, I found what looks like a marble quarry in Santa Fe, which would explain why there was an extension from Albuqueque to Santa Fe.

The Albuquerque cathedral has a lot of marble and two of those infamous Indian Schools.

58 minutes ago, Anne-Sophie said:

The Albuquerque cathedral has a lot of marble and

Whoops.....that was after the books I am writing.....1880-2.

If I put my mind to it, I can find a few wooden protistant churches in (new) wooden Albuquerque then. Not a lot of Mexicans could afford RR's new city lots; so then, the Catholic (Mexicans) stayed near their own church in the Adobe old town.

Albuquerque was a primitive Western Town, with scattered two or three story false front stores.. As far as I could tell the main street had little to nothing main about it....if a main street could be found.

Santa Fe remained the capitol of the territory, and the protestant power there had been curtailed by a clever Bishop.

For 4-5 western cities I had I had Sanborn maps that tell me what a building was made of, how many stores high and what sort of roofing it had; slate, wooden shingle or tile. Nobody who was anyone had an office in the 3rd or higher floor....folks didn't want to walk up a lot of stairs. 1st or 2nd floor for the prosperous.

In Santa Fe, where Bishop Lamy built a Cathedral over an in-service large Adobe church.

If not mistaken Bishop Lamy was French.

What pictures I have deep in my computer  don't show enough...more the old wide dusty streets of Santa Fe with two story adobe housing. The old adobe church far away at the end of the picture.

"For 4-5 western cities I had I had Sanborn maps that tell me what a building was made of, how many stores high and what sort of roofing it had; slate, wooden shingle or tile."

That is such a wonderful primary source find!

Thank you for sharing strong frontier women stories, it is "funny" all that was retained by popular culture was cowboys, and male wagon trains drivers.

The worse was depicting Native people as caricatures, when in effect the West expansion was just an invasion of their territories, in violation of Treaties's rights. 

I am sorry,, I didn't mean to confuse you with a date mix up.

I also made a geographic snafu, mixing up Santa Fe and Albuquerque, in two different maps on different computer windows.

Bishop Lamy, because of the fountain pens, I though he was German, I had to smile when you said he was French, thinking I could use that to ask for a sister Lamy factory in France.

Just kidding, but, not surprised to see a French bishop in the U.S

They were all over Louisiana, as in the Louisiana purchase territory, vying power against or with the Spanish speaking bishops, most probably uniting after the Protestants churches started gaining popularity.

At the time, I believe, all Catholic services were in Latin.

Protestant ones were/are in everyday languages.