Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

Modern Wahl Decoband problem

Investigio

Hi al

Hoping for some help, I recently acquired one of the new giant decoband but am experiencing some issues.

When filling the nib must be submerged all the way up to the collar of the section in order to fill. Is this normal? then pen take in no ink unless it is done this way.

All inks i have tried in the pen other than Iroshizuku cannot keep up with the flow demand for the flex quite often running dry just in normal writing. 

the nib alignment is fine but i wonder if a seal has failed in the section that is affecting the flow?

Any ideas please

Many thanks in advance

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Investigio

• Newton Pens

• Lam1

Top Posters In This Topic

Newton Pens

yes you have to submerge the whole nib plus a little bit of the section to get a good fill, otherwise the pen is mostly sucking air.

as for flow - try to fill it up again with nib fully submerged.  maybe it just needs more ink behind it.  what I know of these pens is that they're really dang wet.  I think your problem with flow might be that it's not full of ink.

We Give Away Scholarships! - Support High School Students Going to College

Investigio

Thanks. Have tried it but still a bit stave. Whipped the nib and feed out and gave them a clean and that seems to have helped. The seller said it had barely been used. is it feasible that it still have protective oil on it that was messing with the flow?

You have to submerge the entire nib, as Newton Pens said.

Mine is extremely wet. In fact, I had to find an ink to tame it (Edelstein Onyx) and I would never use Iroshizuku in mine, since Japanese inks are said to quickly go through latex sacs.

One thing you can do, which sometimes helps a reluctant pen, is to brush the nib/feed with soap and a toothbrush. Sometimes I repair a pen that should work (everything is perfect) and it refuses to write... invariably this solves the problem (again, if everything else is as it should be).

Good luck and enjoy your pen. These Decobands are a lot of fun!

Newton Pens

If it works better after pulling it apart and cleaning it (be very careful, the fins on those ebonite feeds are very fragile) then it could just be the person you bought it from left a little ink in there and it was restricting flow a bit. 

There's no protective oil on the feed from machining though.  Maybe some coolant, but that would have all been washed off before the pen was assembled.  If it has poor flow b/c of stuff on the feed, it's most likely old ink.

We Give Away Scholarships! - Support High School Students Going to College

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. jar
      jar
    5. wimg
      wimg
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• halffriedchicken
      Not sure if this has been suggested already but would a setting for localized regions or chapters in FPN be helpful? I don't know if there is a way to find local FPN members who would be nearby. I don't know if we want to be discoverable but a setting to know how many members are in 25, 50, or a 100 miles of each other might be helpful. We can create a regions specific network like Craigslist where people could use that to connect with nearby members, conduct in person sales, arrange FPN meetups
    • Daneaxe
      Hi again all, I forgot to tell y'all that I made the post about Sweden ink PIF. Most have probably found it long ago, but here's a link, anyway:      
    • Ayami_109
      I read your blog post and all the replies with much interest. I'm a FP user in Australia. Been part of this forum for years but rarely post. I did come across your ink sharing thread and considered participation. For me it's not lack of interest but lack of time to play around with FP and inks. I'd feel bad to put my hand up for the box and just have it sit until gosh knows when...   I also think that the FP community in Australia is smaller, and I wonder how many in the community are
    • A Smug Dill
      Even so, you'd end up with a fragmented list, and it becomes an O(N²) process for each prospective requestor to check what is available: effectively recreate the list of currently active servers (without any reliable up-to-date info upfront about the inks and number of samples on offer in the thread) from the sequential list of posts, which may be spread over two or even more pages, and then query each server independently to check what is currently on offer.   It comes down to not hav
    • LizEF
      If one wanted to do this, one could just use the "About Me" field which appears to be unlimited in size.  And if a bunch of people wanted to cooperate, the Member Title field (or signature) could be used to this end - "Ink Giver" (or some such) could be used by those with inks to give...  No software edits required.
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Expiring Soon

• By benbot517
      51 years and 7 months
    • By benbot517
      51 years and 7 months
    • By benbot517
      51 years and 7 months
    • By Okami
      51 years and 7 months