Top Posters In This Topic

• Michael R.

• Pen Nut

• Uncial

• thygreyt

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Lordarka said:

But hey, if you like it more power to you. I just wish the Montblanc great characters pens went back to actual great characters who transformed their worlds (Einstein, Gandhi, Da Vinci), and to the beautiful and more understated designs that typified this series. This just strikes me as a tacky branding tie-in product. 

I couldn’t agree more. I may, or may not, end up with a Ferrari pen (and I’ll reserve judgement for the moment) but there is no doubt in my mind that the benchmark of great characters represented with a pen has diminished as time has elapsed. The pens too… those above are all fantastic pens and I would bracket with them the limited edition versions of Hitchcock, JFK and Dean. In general the recent editions exemplified by Elvis, Disney and the Beatles are less to write home about.

9 minutes ago, Uncial said:

Does this mean I really should double my IQ before I buy the Einstein?

No, Just your bank balance! 

On 8/4/2021 at 10:20 AM, KAC said:

garish, ostentatious and pretentiously offensive

888 moctezuma - outrageously loud.

i agree kac - happy with the more staid 149/christies

19 hours ago, Uncial said:

Does this mean I really should double my IQ before I buy the Einstein?

Uh, no. You might consider reading some his work or appreciating his contributions to science and philosophy, but even that’s less important than just understanding who he is, why anyone should care about him, and the ways in which the pen pay tribute to his accomplishments. 

Einstein just isn’t a guy that lends himself to cheap and garish brand tie-ins, unlike some more recent choices. If you previewed the Einstein pen at a CERN conference, it’s not going to sell out before it hits the public like this Ferrari thing will at a Ferrari owner’s club meeting. It’s disappointing to me that Montblanc is using the great characters concept to create such an obvious co-branding exercise. But who am I kidding? They’ll probably all sell out while I wait another year for a great character release I might actually love. 

17 hours ago, lionelc said:

888 moctezuma - outrageously loud.

i agree kac - happy with the more staid 149/christies

Loud and also barely usable. A little too much form over function in that one. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/13/2021 at 7:13 AM, 1nkulus said:

Lovely pen for the memorabilia showcase. The engine casing is a nice touch.

Release it to the Ferrari Owner's Club, instant sellout.

IMO, if you can't afford the car why bother with the trinkets. The same applies to Aston Martin, RR, Bentley etc.

IIRC, Tibaldi was commissioned by Bentley for their pens.

I have always found it odd when people collect memorabilia of a brand, without actually owning the product the brand is known for.  ;)

This brand is a little different.  Yeah, Ferrari manufactors cars, but they also own one of the most profitable and popular racing teams in the world.  it is possible to be a Ferrari F1 fan for example, without owning a Ferrari.  It's a team you cheer like the Boston Red Sox or Manchester United.  That's a big reason people bother with Ferrari trinkets (and Mercedes, and Red Bull, and McLaren, and other racing teams).  I own an Oakland A's cap without owning an Athletics club, and I will own this Ferrari pen despite not owning a Ferrari.

bjh13, thank you for this elegant, well-constructed argument, eloquently put.  I hope you will enjoy the Montblanc Great Characters Enzo Ferrari in good health for many, many years.

Welcome to the Fountain Pen Network!

14 hours ago, bjh13 said:

This brand is a little different.  Yeah, Ferrari manufactors cars, but they also own one of the most profitable and popular racing teams in the world.  it is possible to be a Ferrari F1 fan for example, without owning a Ferrari.  It's a team you cheer like the Boston Red Sox or Manchester United.  That's a big reason people bother with Ferrari trinkets (and Mercedes, and Red Bull, and McLaren, and other racing teams).  I own an Oakland A's cap without owning an Athletics club, and I will own this Ferrari pen despite not owning a Ferrari.

Very well put sir !  Buy what you want, if others don't approve well ******ks to them !!!

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

16 hours ago, bjh13 said:

2 hours ago, NoType said:

bjh13, thank you for this elegant, well-constructed argument, eloquently put.  I hope you will enjoy the Montblanc Great Characters Enzo Ferrari in good health for many, many years.

Welcome to the Fountain Pen Network!

1 hour ago, Pen Nut said:

Very well put sir !  Buy what you want, if others don't approve well ******ks to them !!!

+3

It's up on Montblanc's website (which has been overhauled, but certainly not for the better). I liked the look of these when I first saw it, but heck, there's an awful lot of text on that clip in the dullest font they could find.

Notebook seems alright, but not greatly excited by it. No accompanying ink as yet.

Oh, just spotted it. Weirdly it's purple - a repeat of the Beatles ink. I know this will please some who missed out on Beatles ink and want more, but I'm growing tired of MB recycling the same three colours over and over and over in different packaging.

1 hour ago, Uncial said:

Oh, just spotted it. Weirdly it's purple - a repeat of the Beatles ink. I know this will please some who missed out on Beatles ink and want more, but I'm growing tired of MB recycling the same three colours over and over and over in different packaging.

They say that Enzo Ferrari wrote in purple ink. Maybe so. But Tolstoy wrote in purple ink, and yet the Tolstoy ink was blue.... 

- P. 

2 hours ago, Uncial said:

1 hour ago, Arcadian said:

They say that Enzo Ferrari wrote in purple ink. Maybe so. But Tolstoy wrote in purple ink, and yet the Tolstoy ink was blue.... 

- P. 

Yea, I suppose for Ferrari one might think a scarlet red or maybe black would be appropriate. I can't believe the Disney Yellow was a big seller, so I am guessing they aren't going to make that mistake again anytime soon.

I was fairly confident on the ink being purple... i loved the beatles ink, but it kinda washes the sentiment to see Ferrari using the same ink...

i mean, my favorite band of all times are the Beatles, and one of my favorite racing brands is Ferrari... but to have the same ink sort of means neither is special...

Still, i'll end up buying the pen and ink... 

Wheeler's Luxury just sent me an advert on the Enzo edition pen. I don't know if it's just the picture of the hand model, but that pen looks proportionally very small in the picture.

Does anyone have better on hand pictures?

listed specification: Dimensions: 147.5 x 17.5 mm.

1 hour ago, Talaerts said:

I have mine since a few days, happy with it.9DC21FF1-668C-4AFE-9443-D4090D97A784.thumb.jpeg.ea6d3382be46adaff405ee7d231212e0.jpeg

Looking good!  I ordered mine in Fine as well, which, seeing how it writes, I am glad I did. 

- P. 

19 hours ago, Arcadian said:

Looking good!  I ordered mine in Fine as well, which, seeing how it writes, I am glad I did. 

- P. 

The M in the shop had a surprisingly big blob of tipping material, at least that sample would write very broad.