Vintage Japanese Pen Model Guides

IlikeInksandIcannotlie

Are there any websites that list vintage pens from the big three?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IlikeInksandIcannotlie

• stan

• Chinchy

• PithyProlix

3 hours ago, IlikeInksandIcannotlie said:

I don't know of anything very comprehensive but I certainly would be interested as well. Check out Richard Binder's page on Japanese 'short long' pocket pens, though. I suppose it is excerpted from his book devoted to them but I haven't seen the book yet. 

http://www.richardspens.com/ref/profiles/pocket_pens.htm

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

7 hours ago, IlikeInksandIcannotlie said:

Should you be seeking a compendium of the various models of pens made by Pilot, Platinum, and Sailor over the years there is nothing. Best resources are FPOJ by Lanbrou/Sunami, various Japanese websites, and here. Several other books and Japanese publications fill in some of the gaps. But, for something comprehensive, nothing exists. 

FPOJ highlights better quality models that are part of the Sunami collection and does not provide an overview of the various models made. An example of Platinum 3776 models. They show a good number but this is less than half of regular issues, SEs , and LEs produced. You won't find much on Pilot Super or Custom models either. 

I think the question you need be asked is, what are you looking for? A coffee table book? Something to save some time becoming acquainted with Japanese pens so you can quickly pick and choose models? A volume to assist in collecting pens? Is there a specific focus for your need?

You will also find the participants in FPN a great resource too.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

Something to save some time becoming acquainted with Japanese pens so you can quickly pick and choose models- I believe I was looking for such websites for this reason. I recently won a Sailor pen ( red, rectangular golden clip with black edges, and a nib sort of like that on a Platinum Preppy(the rectangular sort of nib design) in 14K), and wanted to identify it. Also wanted to buy a few Pilot Elites with the specialty nibs and maybe a sterling silver Pilot later on.

It was actually a red clip with gold edges.

21 hours ago, stan said:

I think the question you need be asked is, what are you looking for? A coffee table book? Something to save some time becoming acquainted with Japanese pens so you can quickly pick and choose models? A volume to assist in collecting pens? Is there a specific focus for your need?

For me (not the original poster) I find quite a few 'big three' manufactured pens in the wild and for sale locally, mostly pens from the 1970's and 1980's but some earlier and later, and I simply want to be able to identify them. Maybe sometime in the future I will create something from all the posts of the type 'please identify this Pilot/Platinum/Sailor pen' for easy reference and post it.

15 hours ago, IlikeInksandIcannotlie said:

Something to save some time becoming acquainted with Japanese pens so you can quickly pick and choose models- I believe I was looking for such websites for this reason. I recently won a Sailor pen ( red, rectangular golden clip with black edges, and a nib sort of like that on a Platinum Preppy(the rectangular sort of nib design) in 14K), and wanted to identify it. Also wanted to buy a few Pilot Elites with the specialty nibs and maybe a sterling silver Pilot later on.

6 hours ago, IlikeInksandIcannotlie said:

It was actually a red clip with gold edges.

I have seen a Sailor pen recently that is consistent with that description but there are many other potentially helpful variables that your description does not capture. A picture is worth a thousand words - would be helpful if you can post a picture - more is better, generally.

17 minutes ago, IlikeInksandIcannotlie said:

$_57.JPG?set_id=8800005007

Appears to be a Sailor Hoscal.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens

Can you  inform me about the history of the pen, please? (Edit - Never mind, I just found several threads on the topic)

Did the Platinum sheepskin pens have a Zogan inlay on the grip section, or is it the gold nib that is visible?

8 hours ago, IlikeInksandIcannotlie said:

Did the Platinum sheepskin pens have a Zogan inlay on the grip section, or is it the gold nib that is visible?

Nope. The Platinum sheepskin models did not come with zogan metal work anywhere. The zogan inlay was sold on the Platinum President models before the advent of the 3776. After on the 3776. As I recall there were two (for sure) patterns used on the 3776. There may have been four and there were special editions made for corporate clients. There is a model made for the Playboy Club for sale on Yahoo Japan right now. All of the zogan models came on pens with matte ebonite finish.

The sheepskin models were part of the Amazonass line of pens. In addition to the lineup of different skins there are a number of screened designs on leather that I assume (catalogues are packed away) are sheepskin.

If interested, all are very collectable and challenging to find in good condition.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens

Won a Pilot today. Can you please identify the pen?Image 11 - K2651 PILOT Japan Fountain pen H476 Black 18K Gold 750   <F>Image 5 - K2651 PILOT Japan Fountain pen H476 Black 18K Gold 750   <F>

It looks somewhat like a modern Pilot Deluxe Urushi in all but the clip/finials, but I guess I'm just deluding myself....

It is a Pilot Delux. There are a good number of models available, including makie.

_wsb_491x345_Pilot+Delux.jpg

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens

Thank you @stan ! Judging by the looks, mine appears to be identical to the 6th pen from the left in your picture. Probably a plastic model?Any place where I can read up about them? Bruno Taut's blog doesn't seem to have anything. These Deluxes do sell for about 50-70 dollars, right?

38 minutes ago, IlikeInksandIcannotlie said:

Thank you @stan ! Judging by the looks, mine appears to be identical to the 6th pen from the left in your picture. Probably a plastic model?Any place where I can read up about them? Bruno Taut's blog doesn't seem to have anything. These Deluxes do sell for about 50-70 dollars, right?

Photo is from my old website that now reposes in waybackmachine.com land. It was one if the earliest, if not the first, online efforts to 'catalogue' certain models of Pilot and other Japanese pens. Sorry, don't remember if plastic or metal. Most were metal. Usually came with 18K nibs.

Price depends on condition and model. Some go for several hundred dollars and the makie well over $1000. I guess you can find your pen in the $50-$75 range.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens

14 minutes ago, stan said:

Photo is from my old website that now reposes in waybackmachine.com land.

stan, I just checked out your website on the wayback machine. A bit strange though, because the body looks like the black lacquer over brass(which you said was a 1995 reissue- of a similar black pen?), but it has an 18k nib made in April 1976. Either that or its the green urushi over brass, and it doesn't seem that way. Thank you once again for the pointer!

There are several pages devoted to Pilot. The Delux was still available in 1989. My catalogue shows a number of makie designs and basic black and burgundy. Don't know when the model was discontinued. May depend on how many they had in stock.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens