Noodler's Akhmatova

yazeh

Noodler's Akhmatova

Named after the great the Russian poetess, Anna Akhmatova. Famous and beloved before the Revolution hounded after, until death of Stalin. 
On a trip to Paris, she befriended an unknown and impoverished Modigliani, who drew her several times.

f435f642704405f9fd8293cee19a9cea.jpg

She was famous for her signature shawl, even in the height of poverty, she managed to stay regal...

The ink harbours a deep melancholy, recalling that of coniferous forests in the deep of winter under a grey day. It reflects well Akhmatova's soul. 

For the sake of this review, I have cropped pages, to give a hint of the dynamic of this ink and not my musings.... smile.png 
Chroma
Chroma.jpeg.7781f353b1f7602b147006d025ee3d59.jpeg

Comparison:

333044737_Akhmatova-swab.thumb.jpeg.765cb30cf1bd9f7c5481a09df05fa8d9.jpeg

This is one of the best, if not the best eternal ink I have ever tried. The ink is so will lubricated that beckons you not to force the nib but let the pen glide. I could buy this ink for the tactility of it, only. Ink is eternal/ bullet proof/ fluorescent. 
The shading is best experienced on white and bright paper. Dry time is super fast. Cleaning nothing was left. 

Water test:

1529039109_NoodlersAkhmatova-waterMnemosyne1.thumb.jpeg.f4932ab8ab8c801239caf46354355f75.jpeg747090739_Akhmatova-waterafter.thumb.jpeg.d566436c01d7d811b42b8061a455b2c7.jpeg

On Hilory one of the most absorbent papers I know:
125056416_NoodlersAkhmatova-Hillroy.thumb.jpeg.5fa08f933bdcc570e6ec7e09955f4c88.jpeg

2002049817_Akhmatova-Hillory-back.jpeg.1583dcac9a877a5d7de27024863ee8be.jpeg
On Peter Pauper Paper (Thick absorbent paper)

1753722646_Akhmatova-Paupercopy.thumb.jpeg.41370140103fcf4ffbdf9b13571af573.jpeg

On Hammermill Multipurpose Paper 20 lb

1632771952_NoodlersAkhmatova-Hammermill.thumb.jpeg.e159c1046f780bc7fc41388a9734ff3d.jpeg
On Midori

368519094_NoodlersAkhmatova-Midori.thumb.jpeg.d44e78e808dc1cfb9ba694a1ee9fe711.jpeg
The ink is so smooth that I wrote a whole page with a reverse Lamy broad.... (midori)
244750357_NoodlersAkhmatova-MidoriReversecopy.thumb.jpeg.90b5950680bfea9df95f7f30bca93d34.jpeg

Tomoe River classic
502610947_Akhamatova-TR50icopy.thumb.jpeg.14bbe4920f895f6f04588b3737196349.jpeg

Tomoe River 68 gr (thicker)

1878216874_Akhmatova-TR68grjpegcopy.thumb.jpeg.ef61f481878845635a4215b89e43f77d.jpeg

A couple of sketches...

159890185_sketch1.thumb.jpeg.b14a7b80ee4720b58a73d0b8282746fd.jpeg

sketch.thumb.jpeg.86f39ab43b5afff902feb895267518ab.jpeg

• Pen used: Noodler’s Ahab / Lamy Safari Broad/ Jinhao Medium
• Ghosting: None
• Bleed through: None. 
• Flow Rate: Wet
• Lubrication: Out of the world.
• Nib Dry-out: Needs a well-sealed pen.
• Start-up: None
• Saturation: Murky and dark.
• Shading Yes.
• Sheen: No 
• Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: None. 
• Nib Creep / “Crud”: None
• Staining (pen): It doesn’t stain. Very easy to clean.
• Clogging: Nope
• Water resistance: Waterproof/ Eternal/Fluorescent.
• Availability: Only in bottle 90 ml bottles.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• yazeh

• amberleadavis

• LizEF

• Maurizio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very nice, @yazeh!  Great backstory. :)  (The "Akh" of her name would sound exactly the same as the same letters in Makhabesh's name, by the way.)

From your description, this may well be Noodler's best ink. :)  The color probably isn't quite right for me, but it sounds worth trying anyway.

12 minutes ago, LizEF said:

Very nice, @yazeh!  Great backstory. :)  (The "Akh" of her name would sound exactly the same as the same letters in Makhabesh's name, by the way.)

Thanks :blush:. Indeed. Akhmatova is her pen name. Actually after the name of a distant ancestor, supposedly one of the last Tatars that submitted to the Tsar (some say it's a myth).I don't know if Makhabesh roamed in Central Asia. I have to ask him, the next time, he passes by ;)

Anyway, Akmatova's father, didn't want Anna use the family name in such disreputable occupation as publishing poetry, so she took that name. ;)

12 minutes ago, LizEF said:

From your description, this may well be Noodler's best ink. :)  The color probably isn't quite right for me, but it sounds worth trying anyway.

I haven't used all the bulletproof line, far from that. But this is in a different class than the Polar series, which I love. It didn't stain, it was easy to clean. And compared to my favourite General of the Armies, this one gives a bounce to the nib and removes all feedback. It makes writing effortless.... 

33 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Akhmatova is her pen name. Actually after the name of a distant ancestor, supposedly one of the last Tatars that submitted to the Tsar (some say it's a myth).I don't know if Makhabesh roamed in Central Asia. I have to ask him, the next time, he passes by ;)

Anyway, Akmatova's father, didn't want Anna use the family name in such disreputable occupation as publishing poetry, so she took that name.

:)  Even better story.  So funny the things people think / thought disreputable.  No doubt some of Makhabesh's family give him grief over hanging out with a wizard! ;)

34 minutes ago, yazeh said:

It makes writing effortless.... 

That's what an ink should do, IMO. :)

Thanks for such a lovable review. Especially -- as already noted by others -- your including a bit of history. First thing which came to mind was Zhivago, but then again you already nailed that one down, too...

😊

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

I don't normally like murky greens.  But this one might very well change my mind.  

Interesting story about the person the ink was named for.  I had never heard of her (clearly her father thought that writing and publishing poetry was too "Bohemian" -- I'm so glad that my parents just rolled their eyes and made jokes about making a living forging Old Masters but let me get a degree in Fine Art).

Thanks for the review.  And, well, not....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Very nice looking ink, thank you for the review. 

Here's an Akhmatova poem :

Such a nice review - it inspires me to want to try this ink.  I wasn't aware of Akhmatova, neither the ink nor the poet, and now I am interested.

This one looks more intriguing than Zhivago, which, to me, was a bit ho-hum. I see what you are talking about with the melancholy but it is also combined with a detached elegance and, now that I have read a little more about Akhmatova, as well as a little of her poetry, it seems apt. 

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

16 hours ago, lapis said:

Thanks for such a lovable review. Especially -- as already noted by others -- your including a bit of history. First thing which came to mind was Zhivago, but then again you already nailed that one down, too...

😊

Thanks so much lapis 🙏

16 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

I don't normally like murky greens.  But this one might very well change my mind.  

Interesting story about the person the ink was named for.  I had never heard of her (clearly her father thought that writing and publishing poetry was too "Bohemian" -- I'm so glad that my parents just rolled their eyes and made jokes about making a living forging Old Masters but let me get a degree in Fine Art).

Thanks for the review.  And, well, not....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

That's so lucky! Akhmatova enjoyed quiet a Bohemian life, until the revolution...some what like the 60s in the West. But afterwards she lived with one of her husbands, his ex first wife and family, in a couple of rooms in a palace. And after she divorced the same husband, she still lived on there.. as she had no place to go.... :)

15 hours ago, brokenclay said:

Very nice looking ink, thank you for the review. 

Here's an Akhmatova poem :

Exquisite 🙏  I noticed she mentions pines, here and in some other poems. I wonder if they played a role in the choice of colour...

15 hours ago, brokenclay said:
11 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

Such a nice review - it inspires me to want to try this ink.  I wasn't aware of Akhmatova, neither the ink nor the poet, and now I am interested.

This one looks more intriguing than Zhivago, which, to me, was a bit ho-hum. I see what you are talking about with the melancholy but it is also combined with a detached elegance and, now that I have read a little more about Akhmatova, as well as a little of her poetry, it seems apt. 

I always suspected a poet there, and now I have confirmation 🙏  

Neat. Is this an ink in the Russian series? I don't remember seeing it earlier.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention!

Love the review and the backstory. But it’s the ink that steals the show… “Wow” was the term that came to mind! Reminds me of J. Herbin Vert Empire - which can also have that faded green-grey look. But this one looks even better. It goes straight to the top of “I must have this ink” list 😉 

Thanks so much for showing some of these lovely Noodler’s inks. Nathan has so many colours that it’s sometimes difficult to keep track. I never heard of this one before. So double thanks for bringing it to my attention.

On 7/16/2021 at 10:24 AM, Sailor Kenshin said:

Huge fan of murky greens AND interesting chromas.  Thanks for the review!

:blush:

On 7/16/2021 at 10:51 AM, Muncle said:

Neat. Is this an ink in the Russian series? I don't remember seeing it earlier.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention!

Yes it belongs to the Russian series.

2 hours ago, namrehsnoom said:

Love the review and the backstory. But it’s the ink that steals the show… “Wow” was the term that came to mind! Reminds me of J. Herbin Vert Empire - which can also have that faded green-grey look. But this one looks even better. It goes straight to the top of “I must have this ink” list 😉 

Thanks so much for showing some of these lovely Noodler’s inks. Nathan has so many colours that it’s sometimes difficult to keep track. I never heard of this one before. So double thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Most welcome. I thought you would like that. I'm sure your inkexperimant would be fabulous :)

Great review!  Has anyone compared it to the Rhino ink?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

On 7/20/2021 at 4:00 PM, amberleadavis said:

Great review!  Has anyone compared it to the Rhino ink?

They are similar in:

Easy to clean/ same price range (they are pricier than typical Noodler's inks)

Difference: 

Akhmatova is bulletproof, Rhino is water resistant. 

Akhmatova is grey green/ Rhino hovers between grey teal and green. 

Akhmatova has fabulous lubrication. It takes the writing experience to another level, Rhino is a decent wet ink. 

And then there is the name ;)

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2021 at 6:22 PM, yazeh said:

They are similar in:

Easy to clean/ same price range (they are pricier than typical Noodler's inks)

Difference: 

Akhmatova is bulletproof, Rhino isn't is water resistant. 

Akhmatova is grey green/ Rhino hovers between grey teal and green. 

Akhmatova has fabulous lubrication. It takes the writing experience to another level, Rhino is a decent wet ink. 

And then there is the name ;)

:). Thank you.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

31 minutes ago, amberleadavis said:

:). Thank you.

Most welcome

Just one clarification. Rhino is water resistant but not waterproof. I cannot correct my original response...

On 7/30/2021 at 1:38 PM, yazeh said:

Most welcome

Just one clarification. Rhino is water resistant but not waterproof. I cannot correct my original response...

I edited the post and my reply.