jchch1950

I have received a Swipe and used it for a couple of days now.

I find it to be excellent value, and a good writer.  I purchased mine withe the 1.1 stub - #4 nib.  

The Pen looks to have excellent workmanship and design.

The converter with the spring inside worked very well....will hold a lot of ink.

The Pen is easily disassembled for cleaning, as are the converter(S).

For $26.99 - as I said excellent value.

Bill P

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dip n Scratch

• Aysedasi

• Mongoosey

• jchch1950

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's great that the Converters hold so much ink! On that video review they even make the con70 look a bit small lol.  I never thought I'd see that.

At first glance I was disappointed the Swipe's were cartridge/converter's.  After having to refill my Lamy Vista so often, finding it inconvenient during busy days on the go, I swore off Cartridge/Converter's because I needed a large ink volume, but these Swipe's are a game changer. 

I just ordered a couple Smoke Swipes (1 as a gift to a friend).  I love that they made a Semi-Transparent model, though I'm glad they all have an Ink Window.  An ink window, at least, is a must for me. 

And I imagine we'll see seasonal releases of new colors in the future : )

11 hours ago, Mongoosey said:

And I imagine we'll see seasonal releases of new colors in the future : )

Orange,green and yellow will be nice colours in the semitransparent plastic😃

I noticed in many reviews of the Swipe the spring converter has trouble filling up all the way.

Does the Piston converter get a full fill?

i hope the spring is made of good quality stainless steel or it may eventually corrode.

seems obvious but you never know

anyone know if its stainless steel ?

7 hours ago, dave321 said:

i hope the spring is made of good quality stainless steel or it may eventually corrode.

seems obvious but you never know

anyone know if its stainless steel ?

I believe that TWSBI still uses JoWo nibs. JoWo is one of two large German Companies that make many of the nibs used on fountain pens. The other company is Bock. Nibs made by either company are well made. They have various materials and levels of finish, but they are all good nibs. Fountain pen nibs are almost all made of gold alloys or stainless steel. Any other material would corrode very quickly when exposed to ink. 

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Well, I picked up my TWSBI Swipe today and opened it up.  Not going to do a video or pic upload because you can find billions of them on Google right now. 

What I will say is that you can tell right away that it is plastic and not from an acrylic rod.  (even though both are essentially the same).

The feel and sound of the pen is also plastic. Has I higher pitched sound when you tap it or place it on a desk. Clip is tight as hell.  Don't think it'll get any use. The force I use on a regular clip on a regular pen moves the Swipe clip less than half a mm. 

Got my three types of filling mechanism.  cartridge, spring converter and regular converter and extra spring. My cartridge is already stuck inside the barrel and I can't get it out. 

Not going to lie, but it is a very entry level pen. probably in the league of disposable pens too.  I don't have the Go but I assume it is like that pen.  My last TWSBI was the Draco, so this is a total departure from that one. 

Was going to buy the Go but now might have to rethink this one.  

BTW I have every single model of TWSBI (except for the Aurora), so I know TWSBI quality. This is definitely below par, but for the price, what do you expect. . . . . . . . . . .

Bought a B nib, so this is a nib grind project to a CI 

It's a $27 Pen....with 2 international converters and a cartridge....and it writes great....and it can be fully disassembled for cleaning and lubrication of the converters.

I got the TWSBI Swipe in the mail Yesterday.

It's quite comfortable in hand.  Light, like a safari, but nicely balanced.  Feels good in the hand, solid for a lightweight pen.

Beautiful Jowo nib.  

Large ink capacity.  I like how the Twist converter clicks/locks a little bit into place when you've reached the fill capacity.

Definitely good ink capacity for a converter.

BUT!!!, I very much dislike the clip.  Not only is it tight, but its sharp!  So if I try to widen the space under the clip to clip into onto a piece of clothing, it cuts into my fingers and nails.  

The clip is too tight for virtually any article of clothing I own, and if I've managed to clip it sufficiently onto something, it's tough to get off.  

This wold definitely wear out or ruin clothing I'd clip it to over time, and relatively quickly.

TWSBI sacrificed functionality for aesthetics on the clip.

With that in mind, I think it's still a pen many would like, but due to the clip I can't use it for work or as a daily driver like I can the Eco.  I haven't inked it yet.  I'm thinking of returning it, but I might keep it, since it's still a nice pan, and clips OK to notebooks or in a pen holder of some types.  At worst, the clip acts as a roll stop.  But also, the XF nib it came with may be enough to make me keep it to swap into an Eco.  Really smooth OOTB, especially for an XF.

Posted this on reddit, but I'll post it here as well. But you can move the spring in converter to the outside by unscrewing the end cap then slipping it onto the rod and rescrewing cap back in place. Only complaint I have now is that I'm not entirely fond of the medium nib. It's my first twsbi so I didn't know what to expect, but it's "too" smooth for me. I'll use it because it works so well, but geez, it slides on the page

photo_2021-08-14_17-03-19.jpg

I have one on route with a B nib.  Glad to hear it's glassy smooth!  Not fussed about the clip as I never clip pens in pockets (or anything else) and actually much prefer clipless pens.  

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

On 8/16/2021 at 1:21 AM, LiquidInk said:

Posted this on reddit, but I'll post it here as well. But you can move the spring in converter to the outside by unscrewing the end cap then slipping it onto the rod and rescrewing cap back in place. Only complaint I have now is that I'm not entirely fond of the medium nib. It's my first twsbi so I didn't know what to expect, but it's "too" smooth for me. I'll use it because it works so well, but geez, it slides on the page

Thank you for posting this good idea. Is any difference in the amount of ink with the spring outside?

10 hours ago, jchch1950 said:

Thank you for posting this good idea. Is any difference in the amount of ink with the spring outside?

Yeah, I can't get a full fill, the spring compressed doesn't let the rod go all the way down. But it's still the same whether it is inside or outside. I couldn't get a full fill with it inside either. I think I'm just not good with spring converters. I had to make a mess to get it completely full. I may eventually remove the spring all together and make it a simple push/pull converter so I have more control over it. The spring was so strong that I couldn't push the out air without pushing too hard and squirting more of it out than I intended to. When I went to pump it multiple times, it seemed like I couldn't get rid of the air bubble. I may have to practice with the converter later unless I find someone on youtube who does it better.

My blue Swipe has just arrived.  I like it.  Neat and functional with a glassy smooth broad nib.  What's not to like?  I used the installed spring converter and got what looks to be a pretty much complete fill of ink after three presses.  The clip is exceptionally tight but I'm not fussed as I'll never use it.  I really like it and at the price, I'd say it's very good indeed.

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

7 hours ago, LiquidInk said:

Yeah, I can't get a full fill, the spring compressed doesn't let the rod go all the way down. But it's still the same whether it is inside or outside. I couldn't get a full fill with it inside either. I think I'm just not good with spring converters. I had to make a mess to get it completely full. I may eventually remove the spring all together and make it a simple push/pull converter so I have more control over it. The spring was so strong that I couldn't push the out air without pushing too hard and squirting more of it out than I intended to. When I went to pump it multiple times, it seemed like I couldn't get rid of the air bubble. I may have to practice with the converter later unless I find someone on youtube who does it better.

Thank yiu for the detail answer.

On 8/15/2021 at 11:21 PM, LiquidInk said:

That's a good idea.  I'l have to see if I can get the spring around that as well as you did.

But yes...  The Medium Jowo, which TWSBI uses, is so smooth.  I have to use a Fine to get enough Feedback to write normally, and I love the feel of the EF that came with my SWIPE...  Perfect OOTB.

BUT  on  another note...  I must say, that though I'm disappointed with the clip, the pen itself is VERY comfortable to write with.  It's one of the most comfortable pens i've ever used.  The flare towards the bottom of the section provides a nice secure fit, but also, it's very comfortable to hold higher up since there's no threads and it's nice and thick.

Looks different to the rest of the range and the nib variety is adequate. I hope the plastic quality is better.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

I ordered the TWSBI Swipe from WonderPen, Prussian Blue EF. It writes just as well as the ECO i have. I am using the regular converter with Noodlers blue black. So far I am enjoying the weight and feel of the pen. Despite it being inexpensive, the colour is nice to look at. The only part I dislike about the SWIPE is the clip. It is probably the worst pen clips I have ever had on a pen. I would have preferred a clip that protruded out more and that was a bit more functional. 

On 8/19/2021 at 4:00 PM, Mongoosey said:

That's a good idea.  I'l have to see if I can get the spring around that as well as you did.

The spring is easy to put on the rod. Unscrew the end cap (I don't know what it is called). There is a small drop of glue that you might have to break seal on, but it is threaded so you won't have an issue getting that end cap back on. Spring slips right over the rod once you remove that cap. The cap I think is reverse threaded? I think I remember having to turn counter clockwise to tighten it down, instead of normal clockwise. But I don't remember if I held it up or down so it might be a normal thread.

I like the clip, yes it is tight, but it works with thin fabric like dress shirts. It won't work on the jacket pocket though. Plus Taiwan is so hot and humid that their clothes fabrics aren't thick to begin with.

It's odd, I'm liking the pen so much that I'm already considering ordering the orange verison from china in EF, Chinese versions are orange and green, instead of the Blue/Black that we have.