Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

jchch1950

Today I read that Twsbi is issuing a new model call SWIPE. One of the interesting points of the pen is the new converter that will use a spring to move the piston, something like the Twsbi Go but with the possibility  to remove it and use cartridges. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dip n Scratch

• Aysedasi

• Mongoosey

• mizgeorge

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Frank C
8 minutes ago, jchch1950 said:

Today I read that Twsbi is issuing a new model call SWIPE. One of the interesting points of the pen is the new converter that will use a spring to move the piston, something like the Twsbi Go but with the possibility  to remove it and use cartridges. 

I like my TWSBI GOs, I'll be interested to see this new pen.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson "I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Frank C

@sciumbasci, thanks for posting that photo. It gives me a good idea of what those pens look like. The clip is not my style, but if they aren't expensive—TWSBIs are usually great bargains—I could see a few coming to my house. 

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson "I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

inkstainedruth

Saw those in an email ad from Goulet Pens, and was wondering what they were like (they do seem a bit more "grown up" looking than the TWSBI Go).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

That spring-loaded converter looks as if the spring is inside the ink volume.  It'll be interesting to see how well that holds up.

swipe.jpg.6d994ab44f68f358549c6bd2c8e1653e.jpg

maclink

I fail to see the advantage in that design. I only see problems in the future. 🧐

IThinkIHaveAProblem
1 hour ago, maclink said:

I fail to see the advantage in that design. I only see problems in the future. 🧐

I would venture to guess the "advantages" are as follows"

1) cheaper, easier and faster to manufacture than a piston filling converter, but sells (likely) for the same price!;

2) it's a neat gimmick. it sets them apart; and

3) I guess it would be faster to flush this converter vs a regular piston converter.

that said, I think many people will end up having to swap in a regular converter in its place at some point.

As for the pen, I think I'll pass. But my wife might end up wanting one... she likes our "Go"... 

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

• 2 weeks later...
Runnin_Ute

I have seen that both converters are included with the pen.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

sciumbasci
On 7/17/2021 at 6:34 AM, maclink said:

It acts as ink agitator. Do not use with iron gall inks tho! 

16 hours ago, Runnin_Ute said:

I have seen that both converters are included with the pen.

IIRC only NA gets both converters. The rest of us get the spring loaded only. 

On 7/15/2021 at 6:02 PM, sciumbasci said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

It's such a weird frankenpen of the Safari and Pelikano. I can only guess they put the spring in the converter to differentiate it from those two, and to tie it in to the Go, rather than for any practical reason.

I like mango cheesecake

I will be purchasing this when it becomes available later this week.  Will most likely not use the spring loaded converter but just the standard one. I could not just get over that with the Go so I haven’t yet purchased that own. 

I plan on getting the Prussian Blue one and pairing up the Swipe with maybe Diamond denim ink. 

Frank C
21 hours ago, I like mango cheesecake said:

I will be purchasing this when it becomes available later this week.  Will most likely not use the spring loaded converter but just the standard one. I could not just get over that with the Go so I haven’t yet purchased that own. 

I plan on getting the Prussian Blue one and pairing up the Swipe with maybe Diamond denim ink. 

Please post photos. I would like to see this one in action. 

Paul-in-SF

Inky Rocks has an excellent review of the pen on YouTube today. Some of the points she emphasizes: 

• Larger ink capacity, because both the converters and the provided cartridge are girthier than in other pens. 
  • The ink connection is standard international, so if it fits in the barrel you could use the converter you don't use in this pen in another pen.
  • Ease of taking completely apart without any tools, including disassembling both converters by unscrewing the metal piece, and removing the nib and feed. 
  • Therefore, ease of cleaning out even the toughest inks (however, the worst ink she tried, a dip-pen only ink, she only left in for 6 hours)
  • Her stub nib was a little too wet for her tastes, and I think she adjusted it (although she didn't say). In her writing sample, she said it was well-behaved even with wet inks. 
  • The nib is a #4 size. 

As I said, I recommend the review for its thoroughness and objectivity. If I had a reason to want to write with difficult inks I might buy one, but I don't really. Most retailers are selling these for $26.99 or so, and some of them only have a partial range of nibs to choose from. 

I like mango cheesecake

Mine will be coming on August 10. Got it with Diamine Prussian blue, of course. 

Will try to post pics if I remember how. Been several years since my last posts. 

if not will give first impressions. 

IndigoBOB
14 hours ago, Paul-in-SF said:

Inky Rocks has an excellent review of the pen on YouTube today. Some of the points she emphasizes: 

• Larger ink capacity, because both the converters and the provided cartridge are girthier than in other pens. 
  • The ink connection is standard international, so if it fits in the barrel you could use the converter you don't use in this pen in another pen.
  • Ease of taking completely apart without any tools, including disassembling both converters by unscrewing the metal piece, and removing the nib and feed. 
  • Therefore, ease of cleaning out even the toughest inks (however, the worst ink she tried, a dip-pen only ink, she only left in for 6 hours)
  • Her stub nib was a little too wet for her tastes, and I think she adjusted it (although she didn't say). In her writing sample, she said it was well-behaved even with wet inks. 
  • The nib is a #4 size. 

As I said, I recommend the review for its thoroughness and objectivity. If I had a reason to want to write with difficult inks I might buy one, but I don't really. Most retailers are selling these for $26.99 or so, and some of them only have a partial range of nibs to choose from. 

do you have the link to that review by any chance ?

Paul-in-SF
3 hours ago, IndigoBOB said:

do you have the link to that review by any chance ?

fabri00

I got mine yesterday. Is a good pen, I like it more than the eco.

The only complain from my side is for the clip, which is quite tight and it has no space from the cap of the pen, therefore it scratch the pocket when you hang it.

Mongoosey

I'm a Lamy Safari fan, but the converter on it doesn't hold enough ink for me.  But I heard the converter on the Swipe holds a lot more ink.

I'm going to have to take a look at that video Paul-in-SF, when I have some time.  Thank you for posting it : )

I'm a fan of Jowo's, and TWISBI's have been solid pens for me, so I look forward to the Swipe.