Questions about 2021 DC Supershow

Marcwithac

I see that the Washington DC Supershow will be held in early August.  I've never been able to attend this show, which I understand has generally been the largest US pen show, but I am considering doing so this year.  In the past there have been many posts about this show, but I don't see any now.  So, I thought I would kick it off with some questions:

• What are the best days to attend?
  • Will there be nibmeisters there who can re-grind and/or tune nibs on site?
  • Same question re general pen restorers.
  • Will there be plenty of vintage pen dealers, or will the show be dominated by current pen manufacturers?
  • The schedule covers 9-5 on Friday.  Is there typically after-hours trading or other get-togethers for table holders and registered weekend traders?
  • Last, but certainly not least, do those who regularly attended in the past plan on doing so this year?  I know there were issues in the recent past, and that Bob Johnson, who ran the show, unfortunately passes away last year.  Is the show still expected to be the biggest and best (the latter being very subjective, of course)?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SpecTP

• Marcwithac

• CraigN

• whichwatch

• Yes there will be nibmeisters there who can tune or grind nibs
  • Yes there are vendors there who do pen restoration though that may require the pen be returned to their shop
  • Yes, there are typically many vintage as well as contemporary pen vendors, including large pen companies, small artisan pen makers, and collectors, selling both new and used pens vintage and modern
  • Yes, there is usually plenty of "off hours" activity, some arranged and some informal
  • There is a list of vendors/exhibitors available on the show's website
  • In that list I see many "regulars" who have attended that show (and others) for many years.  I have attanded many times and have been greatly looking forward to being there again.

Marcwithac,

My wife & I have attended this show at least a dozen times going back to the old location at the Sheraton Tyson's Corner.  It was our first exposure to pen shows.  You didn't state if this will be your first pen show.  If so, be prepared for pen sensory overload.  Also, you may need to locate the ATM (hint: it's in the lobby).

whichwatch mentioned a list of exhibitors at the web page Home | 2021 Washington DC Fountain Pen SUPERSHOW (dcpenshow.com).  There appear to be lots of people who have signed up.  The fact that the show organizers provided webpage links to some of the vendors is an improvement over past show pages.

The hotel is nice and staff have been terrific during previous shows.  Lighting for the show is a vast improvement over the previous hotel.

I don't know what days are best and am not a weekend trader.  We travel to the hotel on Friday, then attend the show Saturday and Sunday.  Be prepared for a crowd if attendance is similar to previous shows.

Thanks for getting the ball rolling on this show.  I hope you are able to attend.

Regards,

Craig

What CraigN said.  
I haven't been to DCSS since they moved out of the old site in Tyson's Corners, but it was my first show and I had no comprehension as to just how GINORMOUS it was going to be (probably didn't help that my friend and I drove down when I had had no sleep, after flying back from the West Coast).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 2 weeks later...

I have been to this show many times — wonderful experience — and I know you will enjoy it. I typically go on Saturday (sometimes Sunday as well). I am looking forward to it very much. 

I like to go on Friday and Sunday when the crowd is not at the peak. It makes it easier to get appointments with the nibmeisters. Thursday is good if you want to get first shots at the really nice stuff which mostly gets sold/traded by Friday evening.

• 2 weeks later...

went to today's event after lunch. the vendors and traders have filled the venue and hallway. got my waterman 94 resac'd, got a few bottles of inks and some of the 'new' tomoe river notebook crossfield.