• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Detman101

• yazeh

• PithyProlix

• inkstainedruth

3 hours ago, LizEF said:

Thanks for the review!  Looks like you've found a great one for flexy pens. :)

No problemo! Oh yes indeed, this ink is A-MAZING!!! I'm definitley buying a second bottle next month.
I'm actually loathing the end of this small fill because it's so great! I've got #140 scheduled for review later tonight after I've written all of this gloriously awesome ink out of the reservoir. 😛

30 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Nice one, Detman... Depcehe mode is back... That's a great ink! :thumbup:

Hehe, kewl...glad I've got another "DM" fan :)
This ink is sooo awesome. I'm looking forward to reviewing #140 later today.

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

Not a color for me, but thanks for the review.

I remember the band Depeche Mode, but not anything they did offhand.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Love this ink. Funnily enough, I just inked up a pen with it today.  

Your comment on cost is interesting though - her in he UK, the Sailor Studio inks are generally about £12.99 a bottle (which is exactly the same price, I think) as in the US at $18. But they're only 20ml bottles. That's 65p per ml.

Kipling costs me £33 (just over $45 for a 50ml bottle (and a very beautiful one at that).  That's 66p per ml.

So here, the difference in price is so negligible as to be irrelevant.  

I'm seeing Kipling in the US as low as $42, which actually makes it cheaper than the Sailor...

As for Depeche Mode, I remember going to see them for the first time in (I think) 1982, and again about eight or ten years later. A very long time ago now!

18 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

Not a color for me, but thanks for the review.

I remember the band Depeche Mode, but not anything they did offhand.

Kewl kewl.
No way...not even "People are People", "Strangelove", "Here is the house"??
Wow...the 80's were all about Depeche Mode hehe....well, for me they were.

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

4 minutes ago, mizgeorge said:

Love this ink. Funnily enough, I just inked up a pen with it today.  

Your comment on cost is interesting though - her in he UK, the Sailor Studio inks are generally about £12.99 a bottle (which is exactly the same price, I think) as in the US at $18. But they're only 20ml bottles. That's 65p per ml.

Kipling costs me £33 (just over $45 for a 50ml bottle (and a very beautiful one at that).  That's 66p per ml.

So here, the difference in price is so negligible as to be irrelevant.  

I'm seeing Kipling in the US as low as $42, which actually makes it cheaper than the Sailor...

As for Depeche Mode, I remember going to see them for the first time in (I think) 1982, and again about eight or ten years later. A very long time ago now!

Actually...you're right. I hadn't considered the actual price to ml comparison....I only went off of the available-to-purchase amounts and the price of them.
Thank you for that insight!

Oh awesome! Another Depeche Mode'r !!
I've seen them all over the East Coast throughout my life. Last time I saw Dave and the boys was in 2001 in Maryland for the "Exciter" tour with my dearheart.

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

Not for me.  I was mostly listening to classic rock (60s and 70s) on the radio -- FM, not Top 40) and going to concerts at a folk club about an hour north of me on weekends.

ETA: I was never all that big into a lot of the '80s groups in general, although in the bar I hung out at a lot my last year in college and stick money in the jukebox to play stuff like The Eurythmics.  And I liked a lot of stuff by The Police (although I found "Roxanne" sort of annoying).

The Austin Street Saloon was a businessmen's lunch kinda place during the day; at night it was a cross between a townie bar and a law school student hangup -- I liked it because it was within walking distance of the the UB campus, I could get 75¢ drafts and good burgers, and could tune out the ambient noise enough to read my English lit homework; I credit it for getting me through the French Vulgate Arthurian romances and Book 1 of The Fairie Queen.  Plus, the bartenders would buy me beers :thumbup: (okay, maybe it was the beer that got me through Edmund Spenser... :rolleyes:).  Dunno if the place even still exists all these decades later.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thanks for the nice review! I really like the color and would be happy with it without the multichromatics (then Sailor could sell it for less - I mean, uhm, am I right?) 

My tastes were wide but, sorry, 1980's synth pop was a hard pass for me. I was much more a Replacements type. 

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

11 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

Thanks for the nice review! I really like the color and would be happy with it without the multichromatics (then Sailor could sell it for less - I mean, uhm, am I right?) 

My tastes were wide but, sorry, 1980's synth pop was a hard pass for me. I was much more a Replacements type. 

Awesome, glad you liked it. The color is beautiful...like a washed out "Vert Atlantide" without all the shimmer. The Multi-chromacity doesn't appear as often as I would have expected, especially when the pen has been sitting a while. For instance, when I first inked up the pen with the #162, it was shading all over the place like a soap bubble. After leaving the pen in my pocket while out and about last night, then returning home and writing some...there was barely any multi-chromatic shading apparent. After writing out what was in the 2nd reservoir and allowing fresh ink to flow in from the main reservoir...the multi-chromaticity returned.
So the age and deterioration of the ink quality does have something to do with how much it shades. I reckon that if I left the aperture/shutoff-valve open and carried the pen in my pocket, the ink would continue to evaporate to the point of the main reservoir of ink not showing any multi-chromatic shading after a week or so.

During the time that I found Depeche Mode, the only options for me were R&B...which I didn't care for (knew nothing about love and had no interest), Rock music...which I didn't care for at the time, Gangsta Rap...which was just starting and definitely not my cup of tea, and New Wave...which was very nice and made me think....which was PERFECT!

Depeche Mode came into my life when my dad married my late British stepmother and her son had DMs "Violator" cassette tape. I found it in his room one weekend while visiting and played it on the livingroom stereo and it BLEW-MY-MIND!!!! :o
He came and took the tape back, but I knew....I had to have it. So I watched...and waited...and plotted...and stole the tape and listened to it when I got back home.
I still have that "Violator" cassette tape to this very day.
:D

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

48 minutes ago, Detman101 said:

So the age and deterioration of the ink quality does have something to do with how much it shades. I reckon that if I left the aperture/shutoff-valve open and carried the pen in my pocket, the ink would continue to evaporate to the point of the main reservoir of ink not showing any multi-chromatic shading after a week or so.

Yeah, I've been careful to do small fills of inks I'm not sure I will use often. An ink I just used to today - Robert Oster Barossa Grape in a Parker 45 - came out black but, after I wrote about a third of a page, it gradually went back to its normal color. I stored the pen nib up so I wonder if it is just the ink in the pen's collector that evaporated. (?)

48 minutes ago, Detman101 said:

During the time that I found Depeche Mode, the only options for me were R&B...which I didn't care for (knew nothing about love and had no interest), Rock music...which I didn't care for at the time, Gangsta Rap...which was just starting and definitely not my cup of tea, and New Wave...which was very nice and made me think....which was PERFECT!

Depeche Mode came into my life when my dad married my late British stepmother and her son had DMs "Violator" cassette tape. I found it in his room one weekend while visiting and played it on the livingroom stereo and it BLEW-MY-MIND!!!! :o
He came and took the tape back, but I knew....I had to have it. So I watched...and waited...and plotted...and stole the tape and listened to it when I got back home.
I still have that "Violator" cassette tape to this very day.
:D

Great story! (I actually kinda like some New Order, so I guess I'm not totally allergic to synth pop ...)

1 hour ago, yazeh said:

@Detman101thanks for sharing that story... does your step-brother know that you've got that tape? ;) :D

Hah...it's been since 1991 that I lifted that tape.
I suspect that he figured I took it...I dont' know if he replaced it or just never bothered.
Either way, I haven't cared to tell...I never was close to him. He is particularly thorny, condescending, arrogant and difficult to get along with.
Last time I saw him was a few years ago for his mothers funeral, and even then we only said hi and bye.

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

2 hours ago, yazeh said:

Sorry to hear that. At least he had good taste in music :(

Indeed.
I got all of my British music catalog from him 😁
Learned a lot...

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

Ooh I really love how subtle this looks! That diluted, green-grey... it's kind of elegant. Well. I definitely need to see if the Sailor stockists here bring in anything other than their pens now. Keeping this ink on my wishlist!

1 hour ago, thecraftbenchbkk said:

Ooh I really love how subtle this looks! That diluted, green-grey... it's kind of elegant. Well. I definitely need to see if the Sailor stockists here bring in anything other than their pens now. Keeping this ink on my wishlist!

The last time I checked Sailor Thailand was importing Manyo inks only. 😕  I'm curious - who stocks Sailor here?

On 7/15/2021 at 6:26 AM, PithyProlix said:

Yeah, I've been careful to do small fills of inks I'm not sure I will use often. An ink I just used to today - Robert Oster Barossa Grape in a Parker 45 - came out black but, after I wrote about a third of a page, it gradually went back to its normal color. I stored the pen nib up so I wonder if it is just the ink in the pen's collector that evaporated. (?)

Your explanation makes sense.  I did not have the same experience with that ink in my Parker 51, despite having the pen filled for more than a month, but 1) a 51 and a 45 are not the same, obviously, and 2) I used the pen every day.

I did have the experience, almost exactly as you describe it, when using Scabiosa in a rebranded Jinhao x750, despite using the pen every day.  The first few lines were not exactly black, just beautifully saturated.  As I progressed down the page, the color weakened dramatically.

If one really doesn't want an ink to change color in a pen over time, confining it to a pen with an especially good seal (for instance, a Platinum 3776) is an option, provided that the ink isn't one of those that look nice only in certain pens.  

I happen to enjoy watching some inks change their saturation over weeks in a pen and have been known to broaden the experience further by adding distilled water to a pen's reservoir when the ink level runs low and writing with the diluted ink for several days before flushing the pen. 

5 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

The last time I checked Sailor Thailand was importing Manyo inks only. 😕  I'm curious - who stocks Sailor here?

I picked up mine from Penboutique.com.
I had ordered it from Yoseka Stationery in NYC before I realized I could just drive up to Columbia, md and pick it up same day instead of waiting a month for it to be delivered by mail.

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg