Nib size M800 Medium looks like Broad.

HamiltonOmegafan

24 minutes ago, Tom Kellie said:

~ @sirgilbert357: Thank you for your excellent comment.

Several years of regular fountain pen writing passed before I realized what you've summarized above.

I'm a slow learner. Had I read something similar to what you've explained, I'd have known sooner.

Tom K.

👍

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HamiltonOmegafan

• A Smug Dill

• sirgilbert357

• Bo Bo Olson

1 hour ago, Tom Kellie said:

~ @sirgilbert357: Thank you for your excellent comment.

Several years of regular fountain pen writing passed before I realized what you've summarized above.

I'm a slow learner. Had I read something similar to what you've explained, I'd have known sooner.

Tom K.

I couldn't agree with @Tom Kellie and @sirgilbert357 more. This is what my fountain pen use evolved to, eventually. At university, I purchased fairly good paper in pads at the university bookstore. I used my fountain pens for note taking. Everything worked well. When I entered practice, I was forced to use the pre-printed forms provided. These were printed on cheap copy paper—the cheaper, the better. I noticed that my pens performed poorly. I tried various combinations of pens and ink, finally settling on Pilot Blue-Black ink in a Pilot pen with a fine nib. That's about all that I use at work, now. I leave my good pens at home, filled with whatever ink I desire at the time, and use good paper: Clairfontaine, Rhodia, Tomoe River, Fritz-Schimpf, etc. with them. Most any fountain pen, with most any ink, will work well on good paper. 

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

35 minutes ago, Frank C said:

I couldn't agree with @Tom Kellie and @sirgilbert357 more. This is what my fountain pen use evolved to, eventually. At university, I purchased fairly good paper in pads at the university bookstore. I used my fountain pens for note taking. Everything worked well. When I entered practice, I was forced to use the pre-printed forms provided. These were printed on cheap copy paper—the cheaper, the better. I noticed that my pens performed poorly. I tried various combinations of pens and ink, finally settling on Pilot Blue-Black ink in a Pilot pen with a fine nib. That's about all that I use at work, now. I leave my good pens at home, filled with whatever ink I desire at the time, and use good paper: Clairfontaine, Rhodia, Tomoe River, Fritz-Schimpf, etc. with them. Most any fountain pen, with most any ink, will work well on good paper. 

LOL, I use Pilot Blue Black ink in my dedicated "cheap work pen". How funny that we both ended up using the same ink for cheap copy paper...

1 hour ago, sirgilbert357 said:

LOL, I use Pilot Blue Black ink in my dedicated "cheap work pen". How funny that we both ended up using the same ink for cheap copy paper...

Several things contributed to my choice of Pilot Blue Black ink. I purchased a Pilot Custom 823. I liked the unique filling system, the huge ink capacity, and the fact that I can just look at the pen to see if I need to fill it. After using it, I found that I liked the fine nib and that it wrote well at work. If a given pen company also sells ink, I usually use that company's ink in their pens. I also like blue-black inks—not quite blue, not quite black, dark enough to photocopy well—they are very practical for business writing. Of course, the Pilot Blue Black ink is really more of a dark blue; I don't really see any black in it. The combination of Custom 823, fine nib, and Pilot Blue Black Ink, worked well on the copy paper used at work. The fact that I can buy a 350 mL. bottle of it from Amazon for $25 sealed the deal. I go through one bottle every 14 months or so. I could certainly afford to use any ink that worked well, but Pilot Blue Black is great. 

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

I do believe that Pelikan offers a nib swap for the first  30 day

period if your unhappy, you may want to ring the factory.

Another option is there is plenty of material for a nibmiester

to work some magic to a custom grind. Sadly second rate,

non-fountain pen friendly papaer is never a plus.

Hope things work out for you.

On 7/18/2021 at 1:38 AM, Mr Bill said:

I do believe that Pelikan offers a nib swap for the first  30 day

period if your unhappy, you may want to ring the factory.

Another option is there is plenty of material for a nibmiester

to work some magic to a custom grind. Sadly second rate,

non-fountain pen friendly papaer is never a plus.

Hope things work out for you.

Thank you, Bill. I will check.

On good to better paper the ink and nib dance....on P.P. poor paper it's dirty boots.

I did it wrong too, first the pens, then the inks and finally...finally good to better papers.

To bad all of our passed  Ink Guru's pictures were taken down by her heirs, you could see what great differences different good to betters make on an ink's color or hue.

If it's just you 'office' pen, send it in to be made poor paper friendly....remember to lock your desk drawer.

If you scribble for fun, get better paper.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

11 hours ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

To bad all of our passed  Ink Guru's pictures were taken down by her heirs...

What do you mean by this Bo Bo?  🤔

Sandy1 has passed, her pictures are gone. She showed what different nib width on normal pens did to an ink on 4-5 good to better papers in her ink revives. Different nib width and/or paper could make an ink look completely different; so one wouldn't believe it was the same ink.

I seldom ever bought an ink that I hadn't first  read about in her ever so complete  ink review.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

13 hours ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

To bad all of our passed  Ink Guru's pictures were taken down by her heirs,

29 minutes ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

Sandy1 has passed, her pictures are gone.

What has any of that got to do with her heirs?

A lot, if not all, of her images were hosted on Photobucket, and embedded with URLs using HTTP as the protocol for requesting/retrieving the resource. The FPN forum platform upgrade ‘broke’ that kind of inline image inclusion late last year, and that applies to old posts from any FPN member who used that method for embedding images.

I seriously doubt her heirs took down her uploads and/or terminated her user account on the Photobucket side.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

4 hours ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

Sandy1 has passed, her pictures are gone.

I did not know this and I am truly sorry. Her ink reviews and comparisons were very useful and I always consulted them before buying a new ink. 
Her departure is a great loss for our community. The fact that her reviews are now lost is a tragedy. 

5 hours ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

Sandy1 has passed, her pictures are gone

Not so.  Copy the URL and paste in a new browser window and the images appear.  Same for many, but not all, older reviews.  Unfortunately some are on expired accounts/sites and have disappeared.

Add lightness and simplicate.

One has to know how....and for the new, why.

Can Admin set up something,where folks could add back what was lost?