How to rectify splaying of nib on plastic feed?

Savit

I am not sure whether the title of the thread is clear enough, so let me explain....

In order to explore different types of nibs, I purchased a variety of types of nibs from Kanwrite (some #35 and some #5.5), as suggested in this previous post - https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/354966-ideas-to-explore-various-nib-types-in-indian-pens/#comments

I have been trying and experimenting nib-swapping on and off during the last one year. Since I had Camlin Elegante and Click Aristocrat available readily, they were my choice for the #5.5 and #6 nibs respectively.

What I observe is that, for majority of the nibs, when I insert the kanwrite nib into the Click Aristocrat feed, the nib tines splay out and become parallel (instead of gently tapering to the tip as expected). As a result, the performance of Kanwrite nibs were not as good as Click nibs (when inserted on Aristocrat). I don't know why this is happening. Although the size of nibs seem the same to the eye, maybe the thickness is slightly different - I am not sure.

Another instance of failed nib swap - I had purchased a Kanwrite Desire with F nib last year, and it was working well. I swapped a Kanwrite M nib into it - and it has the same problem - the nib tines are splayed out and not tapering to a point. Writing is scratchier, ink flow is poor in the beginning, etc.

What am I doing wrong here? Is it wrong technique of nib swapping? Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

(my camera is not good enough to click pictures of nib tines, so couldn't manage it..)

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Savit

• hari317

• vijaych

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, bestillmysoul said:

I am not sure whether the title of the thread is clear enough, so let me explain....

In order to explore different types of nibs, I purchased a variety of types of nibs from Kanwrite (some #35 and some #5.5), as suggested in this previous post - https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/354966-ideas-to-explore-various-nib-types-in-indian-pens/#comments

I have been trying and experimenting nib-swapping on and off during the last one year. Since I had Camlin Elegante and Click Aristocrat available readily, they were my choice for the #5.5 and #6 nibs respectively.

What I observe is that, for majority of the nibs, when I insert the kanwrite nib into the Click Aristocrat feed, the nib tines splay out and become parallel (instead of gently tapering to the tip as expected). As a result, the performance of Kanwrite nibs were not as good as Click nibs (when inserted on Aristocrat). I don't know why this is happening. Although the size of nibs seem the same to the eye, maybe the thickness is slightly different - I am not sure.

Another instance of failed nib swap - I had purchased a Kanwrite Desire with F nib last year, and it was working well. I swapped a Kanwrite M nib into it - and it has the same problem - the nib tines are splayed out and not tapering to a point. Writing is scratchier, ink flow is poor in the beginning, etc.

What am I doing wrong here? Is it wrong technique of nib swapping? Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

(my camera is not good enough to click pictures of nib tines, so couldn't manage it..)

In addition to the nib curvature around the feed, some nibs droop down towards the tip. 
3E59A3B4-B4C6-4267-B7CA-2EB2079189CC.jpeg.a8b684dfd42a7f54879909c18445335d.jpeg

now if the droop of the nib is more than the droop of the feed, the feed will push against the bottom of the nib and the nib will be splayed. 

One way to compensate for it is to set the feed slightly deeper or not set the nib too deep. 

opposite problem also happens  leading to excessive gap between nib and feed. 

in any case this is a simple case of nib feed housing incompatibility. 

this is where heat setting enters the picture to correct minor incompatibilities. 

use dry heat for ebonite feeds. For plastic feeds boiling water. Be v careful. Plastic feeds are hit and miss to heat set ime. 

hope this helps. 

Our Indian nibs have still a long way to go in terms of consistency in stamping slitting tip sizing grinding plating quality and nib geometry. They will get there eventually I hope. 

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• 1 year later...
On 7/13/2021 at 10:38 PM, hari317 said:

They will get there eventually I hope. 

In our lifetime  I pray....

3 hours ago, vijaych said:

In our lifetime  I pray....

On 7/13/2021 at 10:38 PM, hari317 said:

In addition to the nib curvature around the feed, some nibs droop down towards the tip. 
3E59A3B4-B4C6-4267-B7CA-2EB2079189CC.jpeg.a8b684dfd42a7f54879909c18445335d.jpeg

now if the droop of the nib is more than the droop of the feed, the feed will push against the bottom of the nib and the nib will be splayed. 

One way to compensate for it is to set the feed slightly deeper or not set the nib too deep. 

opposite problem also happens  leading to excessive gap between nib and feed. 

in any case this is a simple case of nib feed housing incompatibility. 

this is where heat setting enters the picture to correct minor incompatibilities. 

use dry heat for ebonite feeds. For plastic feeds boiling water. Be v careful. Plastic feeds are hit and miss to heat set ime. 

hope this helps. 

Our Indian nibs have still a long way to go in terms of consistency in stamping slitting tip sizing grinding plating quality and nib geometry. They will get there eventually I hope. 

I attempted a few heat-settings and gave up. I have accepted the fact that I am too clumsy for DIY pen-tuning & repairs. 🙂