White Lightning Ink Additive: anyone know of a UK retailer?

Joe Lafferty

HI, 

I'm new to the network having a revived interest in fountain pens over lockdown, resurrecting some old pens and adding a few (too many!) new ones...

lots of fun!!

I have some pretty dry inks and some F and EF nibs, and after research I'm wondering if getting some White Lightning Ink Additive might help the pens write a bit wetter. However, I cant seem to find a UK retailer that stocks the product and paying almost $40 for shipping seems a bit OTT... 

Does anyone know of a retailer that stocks it in the UK or Europe?

Thanks, 

Joe 

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OCArt

• mizgeorge

• Bikerchick

• Joe Lafferty

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't need to be White Lightning - that's just a brand name.

In the UK, you can either get the Anderillium Wetter from Hamilton - https://www.hamiltonpens.com/collections/anderillium-inks/products/anderillium-inks-ink-wetting-solution (though I think it's out of stock at the moment)

or just use the original - Liquitex Flow Aid - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Liquitex-Professional-Flow-Aid-118/dp/B000KNPM46/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=liquitex+flow+aid&qid=1626127451&sr=8-2 (also available from most art supply shops for slightly less, but almost inevitably with a delivery charge if you don't have a local B&M store).

Cheaper still is Kodak Photo-Flo - but the bottles are so big you'd struggle to get through one in a lifetime unless you do a lot of photo printing as well!

I generally aim for about 1 ml per 20ml ink or just a dipped paper clip end for an average (1-1.5ml-ish) fill of ink.

Oh, and welcome to FPN :)

OOPs, I hit post before I saw the above! 

I have not used that product but a wetting agent like Photo-Flo works well. 

Edited by OCArt

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

• 1 month later...
On 7/13/2021 at 12:09 AM, mizgeorge said:

Thanks for the tip, mizgeorge! My bottle arrived yesterday.  :)

What is this money pit obsession hole I have fallen into? 

My other passion

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. inkstainedruth
      inkstainedruth
    5. jar
      jar
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files