Top Posters In This Topic

• joss

• JotterAddict62

• FlighterGuy

• Estycollector

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 7/16/2021 at 2:49 PM, joss said:

The metal Jotters shown in the pictures look legit to me so which Jotter are you referring to as being a marriage?

The ARISTOCORT Jotter looks to be incorrect.  For that clip, the barrel should be polished like the 3rd pen in that picture.  

@JotterAddict62-- The one with the calendar is pretty cool. Is it for a specific year/month, or can that be adjusted to be current?

Ruth Morrisson aka Inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

5 hours ago, FlighterGuy said:

The ARISTOCORT Jotter looks to be incorrect.  For that clip, the barrel should be polished like the 3rd pen in that picture.  

I know that. I have 3 caps [ two are not correct and one with box that is correct ] the two are as is as I picked them up. The one with the box stays in the box.

3 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

@JotterAddict62-- The one with the calendar is pretty cool. Is it for a specific year/month, or can that be adjusted to be current?

Ruth Morrisson aka Inkstainedruth

Ruth, you would loosen the pen and adjust the calendar and then tighten the pen.

Cool.  Thanks (I love learning things).

Ruth Morrisson aka instainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

On 7/24/2021 at 6:13 PM, FlighterGuy said:

On 7/25/2021 at 12:16 AM, JotterAddict62 said:

I know that. I have 3 caps [ two are not correct and one with box that is correct ] the two are as is as I picked them up. The one with the box stays in the box.

Is the 'later' Lustraloy barrel without the polished upper part essentially incorrect in combination with a cap with through clip?

2 hours ago, joss said:

Is the 'later' Lustraloy barrel without the polished upper part essentially incorrect in combination with a cap with through clip?

For the purest. Yes

I have seen all kinds of mix and match Parkers here in and around Janesville WI. Who's to say what is or is not correct? I will put it like this  [ IMOP ] Parker was in the business

of making and selling pens. Put a pen together and sell it. This to me includes the Parkers from the 1920's to present.

10 hours ago, JotterAddict62 said:

For the purest. Yes

I have seen all kinds of mix and match Parkers here in and around Janesville WI. Who's to say what is or is not correct? I will put it like this  [ IMOP ] Parker was in the business of making and selling pens. Put a pen together and sell it. This to me includes the Parkers from the 1920's to present.

"Correct" would be what I see pictured or mentioned in Parker documents. But a pen that is not pictured is not necessarily "incorrect" for me so I would be interested to learn how the purists know that a non polished barrel combined with a through clip cap is not correct.

The all-metal Jotter with the polished barrel top is shown in 1954 and 1955 Parker ads and catalogs. I did not find 1956 Parker documents showing the metal Jotter. But the cap with through clip is definitely shown until at least December 1956 and it overlapped with the ridge clip, which can also be seen in late 1956 ads. So if the later non polished barrel is correct for a cap with ridge clip it could also be correct for a late version of the all metal Jotter with a cap with through clip.

I cannot help but think that once Parker introduced the "Flighter" all steel pen, noticed the popularity, they expected the market also wanted the same in a ball point whether cap or button accuated. Not sure if the "Flighter" pencil appeared at the same time as the original FP. Would an all metal pencil bought alone still be a "Flighter"? 

Using catalogues to name the article reminds me of how Gillette purists name a particular razor based on the box rather than the razor itself even if there were two identical razors that came in different boxes. 

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

On 7/27/2021 at 4:51 AM, Estycollector said:

I Not sure if the "Flighter" pencil appeared at the same time as the original FP.

It did appear at the same time available as a set.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

On 7/29/2021 at 1:26 AM, FarmBoy said:

It did appear at the same time available as a set.

Be careful here, the 1949Q4 51 Flighter is Mark I Type I and the 1950Q1 51 Flighter is Mark I Type II.  At this point I have not found a 1949 51 Flighter pencil.  When it was launched in 1949 it was as just the pen and not as a set.  

43 minutes ago, FlighterGuy said:

Be careful here, the 1949Q4 51 Flighter is Mark I Type I and the 1950Q1 51 Flighter is Mark I Type II.  At this point I have not found a 1949 51 Flighter pencil.  When it was launched in 1949 it was as just the pen and not as a set.  

But it would also be good to be careful when jumping to quick conclusions: it is not because you did not find that pencil that it does not exist. The 1949Q4 51 Flighter pencil with date code 9 exists so it is fair to assume that the 51 Flighter was available as a set in 1949.

The December 31st 1949  article in the Janesville Daily Gazette  about Parker Pen lists 2 new 51 products introduced in 1949, The Flighter Set and the Presidential Set.

Attached photo of a 1949 Flighter set,  4th Q '49 Pen and 3rd Q 49 pencil...Yes Virginia there are 1949 Parker 51 Flighter pencils.

1949Flighterset.jpg

33 minutes ago, oztech said:

The December 31st 1949  article in the Janesville Daily Gazette  about Parker Pen lists 2 new 51 products introduced in 1949, The Flighter Set and the Presidential Set.

Attached photo of a 1949 Flighter set,  4th Q '49 Pen and 3rd Q 49 pencil...Yes Virginia there are 1949 Parker 51 Flighter pencils.

1949Flighterset.jpg

Thank you 🙏 

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

8 hours ago, oztech said:

1949Flighterset.jpg

Well, it looks like I can add one more item to my acquire list.  I'm aware of the 12/31 article.  I currently have two '50 pencils, one has the longer '49 clip.  I you would like to part with that '49 pencil, I will give it a good home 🙂