Is this heresy?

William Bloke

I have a small collection of Sheaffer imperials, including the fancy gold and silver ones. (The silver one is particularly nice with a lovely Fine 14k nib)

PXL_20210206_152329960-01-01.thumb.jpeg.d57ce266514e29ea0df0cf68f2814d69.jpeg

However my favourite of them all is the black plastic basic model with a steel nib. I use it every day, and although it doesn't look great with the cap on, in use the absolutely smooth transition between the nib an body puts it head and shoulders above the others. Also, it has a lovely consistent reliable nib. (I've never been able to feel the difference between a steel and a gold nib myself.) 

2091751552_PXL_20210710_151513626_MP2.thumb.jpg.ddbbafade38f1d14998a559f116e9a69.jpg

I wish I could find one just like it in green. (I like green)

Does anyone else agree?

Or am I just an oaf who can't appreciate the finer things?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• terim

• IThinkIHaveAProblem

• bayindirh

• William Bloke

If the shape is the same among the four pens, what do the silver and gold bodies bring to the table, as far as writing experience? Probably they weigh more. Some people like that, some don't. Many people can't tell the difference between steel and gold nibs without looking. Not controversial at all. 

I love these Sheaffer inlaid nibs, and every one I have ever tried (I have 7) writes very well indeed. The one I like least is a Targa because it weighs significantly more, and the shape is less pleasing.

As Mr. Gray of Edison Pens points out, a well tuned steel nib is functionally identical with a well tuned gold nib in all aspects except flex and inertness to attack by acidic ink components. As for the pen body, preference for bling and weight varies from person to person. 

not heresy at all.

You like what you like.

Gold vs steel as addressed above is almost meaningless. (it does however, logically, affect price due to material costs)

Gold nibbed Parker "51"s vs Octanium nibbed ones? I can't tell a difference between the two metals by feel alone. 

Plastic bodied pen vs metal? If the plastic is nicer to hold, and I assume inherently lighter, and that's what feels

right in your hand, then that's 100% ok. And the upside is, since you prefer the plastic bodied pen with the steel nib...

It's cheaper than the other 3 options! meaning you can get more of your favourite one for less money! :)

I only have one inlaid nib, a dark navy blue 440, it took a lot to get the nib to write properly, but once it did... wow :) 

Green you say eh?...

https://www.peytonstreetpens.com/sheaffer-440-imperial-fountain-pen-nos.html

and IMO, that is a very good price

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

Not heresy at all.  You like what you like, and you use what works best for you.  And I say this as someone who LOVES Parker 51s but who probably has more Parker Vectors -- which are cheap, fun little workhorse pens.  Too skinny to write the Great American Novel with, but work well; my favorite one besides my first one -- which got a crack in the barrel threading -- is one that has "Puss in Boots" from the Shrek movies as a design.  Saw that on eBay and it made me laugh and I said "OMG -- Want!  Must HAVE!" (and if Parker had made a "Fiona" pen I'd want that one too).

I have a pen that I really like (and I paid more for it than for all but two of my 51s -- even more than the Plum Demi).  It's a gold-filled filigree overlay Morrison ringtop from the 1920s or 30s.  Amazing juicy and springy stub nib on it.  But after nearly losing the business end of it four times (It has a bad tendency to unscrew itself from the cap when on a lanyard), it doesn't leave the house anymore....  I finally was able to get a sterling overlay to match, but haven't gotten that pen up and running yet (and -- since it cost more than the first one AND the temporary replacement one, which doesn't have nearly as nice a nib as the first one) that one will probably never leave the house EITHER....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for typos

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

51 minutes ago, IThinkIHaveAProblem said:

the upside is, since you prefer the plastic bodied pen with the steel nib...

It's cheaper than the other 3 options! meaning you can get more of your favourite one for less money! :)

Green you say eh?...

I've always been a cheap date!😄

That is a very fair price, unfortunately by the time it get to the UK with postage and import duties it might be twice that.

4 minutes ago, William Bloke said:

I've always been a cheap date!😄

That is a very fair price, unfortunately by the time it get to the UK with postage and import duties it might be twice that.

yes, there is that.

But it is NOS... 

I'm equally happy using steel or gold (14 or 18k), or even palladium or titanium. Each type of metal does have a slightly different "feel", and the characteristics are unique enough to offer something enjoyable or useful about the experience. For mine, it is the grind that is the primary determinant of how desirable a particular nib is. I'd much prefer a steel nib with a lovely grind, than a blobby, mushy 18k nib with zero character.

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

On 7/10/2021 at 10:29 AM, IThinkIHaveAProblem said:

not heresy at all.

You like what you like.

Gold vs steel as addressed above is almost meaningless. (it does however, logically, affect price due to material costs)

Gold nibbed Parker "51"s vs Octanium nibbed ones? I can't tell a difference between the two metals by feel alone. 

Plastic bodied pen vs metal? If the plastic is nicer to hold, and I assume inherently lighter, and that's what feels

right in your hand, then that's 100% ok. And the upside is, since you prefer the plastic bodied pen with the steel nib...

I only have one inlaid nib, a dark navy blue 440, it took a lot to get the nib to write properly, but once it did... wow :) 

Green you say eh?...

Thanks for pointing to our web site. We have green 440s in fine and medium, new old stock, with modern piston converter.

21 minutes ago, terim said:

Thanks for pointing to our web site. We have green 440s in fine and medium, new old stock, with modern piston converter.

you're welcome! I look over your site regularly, and saw those 440s as I was in the process of tweaking my own (used) 440 (my first) and the price being what it is, stuck with me, since it is IMO a very good price.

On 7/10/2021 at 6:30 PM, William Bloke said:

Oh the opposite. The finer thing is not the gold nib, or the nib size, or the body material, etc.

The finer thing is the experience itself. Also the one you like most is probably the most rugged one, hence you can enjoy the advantages and finer qualities of that pen without fear of damaging it.

My favorite pens are also similar to yours:

• A Lamy Safari Umbra with an aftermarket F nib, ground a little off, so I need to attach the nib a little crooked. It's very smooth and clean writer though.
  • A Lamy 2000 with Medium nib. It's broad and wet and gushy. It's just a 2000, and I love it.
  • A GvFC Tamitio with under-spec nib. It's too dry, period. But it writes smooth and consistent, so I like it as it's.

I have much more expensive pens, but I can't enjoy them thoroughly, because there's no replacing them (they're vintage), so replaceable, entry level pens bring more joy in day to day writing.

No, it's not heresy at all.

5 hours ago, terim said:

I’d love one in green and went to look at them. Unfortunately, my pen budget is shot for the next few months, or until the Classifieds comeback on here!

22 hours ago, IThinkIHaveAProblem said:

you're welcome! I look over your site regularly, and saw those 440s as I was in the process of tweaking my own (used) 440 (my first) and the price being what it is, stuck with me, since it is IMO a very good price.

Thanks!  If we get 'em at a good price, we pass the savings on.

We recently found a nice stash of the nibs, but we had to pay almost as much for them as we paid for full pens!  But we did get some broad nibs, which we've never had before.

18 hours ago, Carguy said:

I’d love one in green and went to look at them. Unfortunately, my pen budget is shot for the next few months, or until the Classifieds comeback on here!

We have a decent supply of them in green, so they should be around for a few more months.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/10/2021 at 11:30 AM, William Bloke said:

I have a small collection of Sheaffer imperials, including the fancy gold and silver ones. (The silver one is particularly nice with a lovely Fine 14k nib)

PXL_20210206_152329960-01-01.thumb.jpeg.d57ce266514e29ea0df0cf68f2814d69.jpeg

However my favourite of them all is the black plastic basic model with a steel nib. I use it every day, and although it doesn't look great with the cap on, in use the absolutely smooth transition between the nib an body puts it head and shoulders above the others. Also, it has a lovely consistent reliable nib. (I've never been able to feel the difference between a steel and a gold nib myself.) 

2091751552_PXL_20210710_151513626_MP2.thumb.jpg.ddbbafade38f1d14998a559f116e9a69.jpg

I wish I could find one just like it in green. (I like green)

Does anyone else agree?

What ink did you use in your journal there?

Thanks,

Ryan

8 hours ago, Man O War said:

What ink did you use in your journal there?

It looks like Pelikan's or Waterman's Brown, but it's just a wild guess.

• 2 weeks later...

I like all the Imperials, yours and mine included.  I like the light weight of the plastic ones.  Sheaffer made some great nibs.  I like the 1996 Holly pen best.  Light plastic, nice nib and came with a converter with a PVC sac (red tipped converter).

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I have a number of Imperials which I've collected over the years.  Love the shape and the inlaid nib, even though the pen is slightly thinner in girth than I would prefer.  (I have a Legacy too).  My favourite - by a long way - is my Cadmium Yellow, which just looks gorgeous, but I have reds and blues and greens too.   I also have a NOS 'Holly' pen which is destined to go to my wife for Christmas.....  ;)

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

I have that same pen in Blue plastic with matching blue cap. It got me through college and grad school. Alas, as far as Sheaffers in my collection, it has been "replaced" by my Legacy 2 which has a much smoother medium nib. I still ink up my old Imperial occasionally, though, but more for nostalgia.