What for? M, B nibs

mke

I am always wondering what for B or even M nibs could be used. Most papers are not usable on both sides for most B/M-nib/ink combinations (I tried many). Not to talk about the unwanted broadness, reducing the amount of data I can put on one page.

The example shown below is written with a Jowo EF nib and Waterman Serenity Blue. That is the limit of shine/bleed-through I can except. I know that many black inks and Pelikan Royal Blue have less of it but I prefer dark blue inks.

Unfortunately, Jowo ends here - German EF. I will have to try an XXF grind of a Jowo. Hope this helps.

PXL_20210709_234633257.jpg

PXL_20210709_234643227.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aysedasi

• mke

• maclink

• A Smug Dill

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I use M and B for signing everything need my signature at work, and also for my notes, as mostly I use only one side of loos sheet of paper, or I take note at the mergin of something printed.

...Another advantage due to the age is that I can read my notes more clearly and sometime without my glasses, then using a F.

1 hour ago, fabri00 said:

I use M and B for signing everything need my signature at work, and also for my notes, as mostly I use only one side of loos sheet of paper, or I take note at the mergin of something printed.

...Another advantage due to the age is that I can read my notes more clearly and sometime without my glasses, then using a F.

OK, that is reasonable. I tried several times using an M (because I have many) but finally settled for most papers smaller than A4 on EF. On A4, M is acceptable.

I use 3B and O3B nibs routinely and nothing less than a B to write, sign, explain an idea or a design etc. I get excellent paper locally and at work. And I use only conventional inks. I am thankful the companies made some excellent stock factory edged pens back in the day. 

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I like M nibs for trying out new inks. You really need a nice fat line for appreciating what the ink has to offer. 

For functional writing--notes, scratchwork, etc.--F or EF nibs are better. But if I know I'm going to be generating a block of text (e.g., copying something out for permanent storage, like a recipe or a letter) I like to use a broader nib. Not only does it utilize the ink's capability more fully, but writing bigger letters forces me to slow down and pay attention to handwriting.

I agree that paper size matters. A larger nib on A5 paper really limits your ability to get many ideas down before needing a new page.

M and B nibs are for those who prefer the line that M and B nibs provide.

Add lightness and simplicate.

When I was at school and uni, and actually until recently when fountain pens became my hobby, I always picked mediums, like most of my friends. Fine and broad nibs seemed a bit extreme for me :) I think that outside the fountain pen enthusiasts community a medium nib may still be a natural choice.

Before I got into fountain pens, I used F ballpoints/rollerballs.  I naturally started with F and EF.  Now, I use F/EF for work and M's to B stubs at home.  I enjoy the wider line on better paper at home.

54 minutes ago, Karmachanic said:

M and B nibs are for those who prefer the line that M and B nibs provide.

That's it - simple and true!

Rhodia 80gsm dot, which is what I use for most of my general note-taking, scribbles, etc, seems to be just fine double sided with juicy B and BB nibs even with wet and saturated inks...

f and xf nibs are what I usually use but to really see what an ink looks like you need a m or b nib.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I read somewhere—probably on FPN—that a former director at Montblanc said that 80% of the nibs they sell are mediums. Medium is a good size for the average writer. Many of their pens are given as gifts and the buyer wants to buy a pen that would suit most people. I also read somewhere about a pen store in Europe that would have new pen buyers write with a variety of nib sizes. Nib size is related to the size of one's handwriting. If you couldn't see the hole in the letter "e", they recommended purchasing to the next smaller nib. 

Another distinction is whether one is mostly writing western alphabets or Asian characters. The latter are composed on many short strokes in a small space, so a finer nib is needed. 

Having said all that, I have a variety of nibs and I like them all. I have some needle points that are fun to use for micro-writing. I have some 3Bs that I use for note taking, letters, and journal writing. At work, I use Japanese fine nibs because I have to write in small boxes. I have some flexible calligraphy nibs that I use to practice calligraphy—I need lots of practice. I also have some stubs, crisp italics, and cursive italics, that I use for other forms of calligraphy. 

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

My first pens had M nibs.  When I got my first F nib, I didn't think I'd like the result (until I found how much further a cartridge of ink went  -- and we're talking Parker cartridges here, not international standard shorts).

My general preference is for an F nib these days -- but sometimes a M is smoother (I found that to be the case when I first bought a Pilot Metropolitan -- I was able to try both an F and M nib and found the F to be very scratchy).  But I'm now expanding into B nibs and stubs because I like variety.  I have a few EF nibs too (although other than the vintage pens, which needed a bit of work to increase the flow in a couple of cases, I tend to prefer European EFs like Pelikan nibs).  I don't think I could ever manage a Japanese EF and certainly not anything narrower.  
And I've used B nibs and stub nibs (depending on what pens are inked up) for my morning pages journals, which have lined paper -- and I still manage to write small enough to squeeze in two lines of writing between each printed line.  But then, I like variety.

There's nothing wrong with ONLY using BBs or ONLY using XEFs.  It's all personal preference and the ink and paper you're using, and how they work in combination with the pen(s) you're writing with.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

A lot of good answers to a question that seems silly but isn't...

I've used M nibs for years without even considering that F or B nibs existed.

I've never really been fond of F nibs except when I later found flex nibs.

With age my ordinary writing has grown larger size, both to see what I am writing and reading what I have written, so B has become quite standard. BB, OB, OBB, stubs, CI, are for fun and enjoyment.

With time nib preferences change.

12 minutes ago, sansenri said:

With age my ordinary writing has grown larger size, both to see what I am writing and reading what I have written

Yes indeed

When I examine the notebooks I wrote  35+ years ago,  the size of the word back then is  the same size of a single letter  of what I write now.  I am astonished  at that young dude's  abilities and his extremely neat  penmanship. As I can not compete, nor even clearly see these small words  at the moment, I have to move on to a bigger fatter, yet still  dark-Blue  lines.  

Also, when you  need to  take notes quick  and such,  you need a pen that is smooth, wet,  fast,  and that tends to produce larger script and  F/EF nibs are not the best match for the task  IMHO.

Like everything in FPNs,  To each his own,   People should work with what makes them more happy, or more productive, no matter what others think or say.

45 minutes ago, samasry said:

When I examine the notebooks I wrote  35+ years ago,  the size of the word back then is  the same size of a single letter  of what I write now.  I am astonished  at that young dude's  abilities and his extremely neat  penmanship. As I can not compete, nor even clearly see these small words  at the moment, I have to move on to a bigger fatter, yet still  dark-Blue  lines.  

Ha!  My astigmatism and other issues with my own sight as I age does interfere with my ability to see subtle differences with contrast especially in relatively low lighting.  I never thought that this could be a reason why I'm now preferring to use broader nibs at home.  I also find that I'm preferring more saturated inks.

Since I typically write on 'not so great quality' paper at work, the thicker lines with nib grade, as well as the use of black ink, still make the use of F nibs, a visually comfortable experience.

5 hours ago, maclink said:

Since I typically write on 'not so great quality' paper at work, the thicker lines with nib grade, as well as the use of black ink, still make the use of F nibs, a visually comfortable experience.

We are kinda sorta  spelling our top-secret  beans  to the fancy-shmancy  $1/sheet of paper  people in this forum :) 

I always wonder, why do I need to go buy  BBBB^2  nibs   and such when I can get the same effect with copy-paper and an F nib. 

I call  this technique,  the "Poor-Man's-Broad".

It is not the  same  meaning or feeling  as  the one gleaned from a 1940s  Hollywood B-movie, but still  "Broad"  alright :) 

1 hour ago, samasry said:

I always wonder, why do I need to go buy  BBBB^2  nibs   and such when I can get the same effect with copy-paper and an F nib. 

I call  this technique,  the "Poor-Man's-Broad".

It is not the  same  meaning or feeling  as  the one gleaned from a 1940s  Hollywood B-movies, but still  "Broad"  alright :) 

:lticaptd::lticaptd::lticaptd:

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.