What are your Current "Grail Pens"?

kenrapoza

I don't think I have any grail pens any more, not because there are no more pens I want to buy (as if!), but now I'm retired, I have to watch the pennies a little more.  If I won the lottery or if my premium bonds come up, I'd probably buy a Sailor KOP, a nice Namiki, a Platinum Koi and once I'd got over the shock of being rich (!), I'd be commissioning Shaun Newton to make me something even more special than the two of his pens I have already*.  Oh, and I'd buy the other three colours of the Kilk Epigram......  ;)

* For my money, a grail pen would really need to be something unique and having a pen made fits that bill.  

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• kenrapoza

• inkstainedruth

• ParramattaPaul

3 hours ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

Grail pens are not look, see and buy...like my NOS 250 & NOS 200 set, FP&BP&MP bought with in two days from the same fella....that is pure impulse.

Grail pens are :drool: slow developing wants.....not fast lighting buys...

That is so true!

2 hours ago, Aysedasi said:

I don't think I have any grail pens any more, not because there are no more pens I want to buy (as if!), but now I'm retired, I have to watch the pennies a little more.  If I won the lottery or if my premium bonds come up, I'd probably buy a Sailor KOP, a nice Namiki, a Platinum Koi and once I'd got over the shock of being rich (!), I'd be commissioning Shaun Newton to make me something even more special than the two of his pens I have already*.  Oh, and I'd buy the other three colours of the Kilk Epigram......  ;)

* For my money, a grail pen would really need to be something unique and having a pen made fits that bill.  

Oh that's really interesting - I've never heard of Shawn Newton before but he seems like a really good guy who does some good work!  I've also been reaching out to Jonathan Brooks at Carolina Pen Company for a custom pen.  He makes beautiful acrylics but it's a looong wait for the pen...

5 hours ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

M915 Hunting: A Cautionary Tale of Early Lacquered Finishes | The Pelikan's  Perch

'93 Hunter Toledo, limited to 3,000.

Holy Toledo     LOL

7 hours ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

59 1/2 minutes after receiving The Grail Pen, the next grail pen weed breaks surface.

This is usually true.   The surprise for me is that I haven't wanted to buy a pen since I bought and received an Onoto Magna over a month ago.

23 hours ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

59 1/2 minutes after receiving The Grail Pen, the next grail pen weed breaks surface.

hahaha

My grail pen right now is whatever pen I buy myself when I retire (in a year or two or....three). I don't have any wish list cuz I don't roll that way, but I will be thoughtful then and get myself something nice after 40 years of teaching high school. It probably won't be very expensive, but maybe I will finally go to a pen show in a city and just browse for three hours, try out 30 pens, and pick the one I want. Yeah, that's a plan.

Sounds like a good plan.

I like standard or medium-large pens in they have the best balance; when posted and are light and nimble; something for an hours worth of scribbling for fun.

So do divide your wish pens into sizes; Standard, medium-large or Large, so you can find a balance that fits you.

A thin Snorkel is a large pen with superb balance; posted, perhaps the only Large pen with that much balance. It don't hold a lot of ink, but an ink bottle will be near by.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Astoria Goliath.  Grail because it is beyond my reach.  Second choice; Conid Kingsize flat top.  Chances of seeing those again are slim.

Add lightness and simplicate.

On 7/23/2021 at 7:26 PM, kenrapoza said:

Oh that's really interesting - I've never heard of Shawn Newton before but he seems like a really good guy who does some good work!  

Yes indeed.  Two beautiful bulb-fillers were made for me by Shawn a few years ago now.  One of them even had to go back across the pond twice for repairs (entirely my fault!).  Fabulous work and high on the list of pens that I would never part with.  

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

The reason I don't have more grail pens.

ex-mancave upgrade

In Paper and paraphernalia.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

30 minutes ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

The reason I don't have more grail pens.

ex-mancave upgrade

In Paper and paraphernalia.

Yes, there is that. 

I have to admit that I came away with the thought that I am grateful I don't have more pens an paraphernalia  than I do after I saw your collection.  I'm 73 years old and earnestly trying declutter and divest myself of a lifetime's accumulation of things knowing full well that my remaining years this side of the divide are limited.

73 myself....and how that snuck up on me, I don't know.

I know I have to get rid of 2/3's of my pens....and eventually start taking my inkwells to auction houses. I keep procrastinating.

In the banks are not giving interest many folks are investing money in things that may increase in value, or not lose much. The price of ink-well in some cases have really increased. Having old prices in my head, am often way outbid.

Unfortunately, the marble ones not. They will go back to the flea market from whence they came. Too many times I fear.....or buy an inkwell get my cheapest fountain pen to go with it. :doh:

8 minutes ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

73 myself....and how that snuck up on me, I don't know.

The strange thing about this age thing is I honestly do not feel old.  I know I am and accept it, but despite having cancer (hopefully in remission) I genuinely don't feel 73.

73 was old when we grew up....I'm just in advanced middle age.:bunny01:

I do hope you achieve remission.:happyberet:

1 minute ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

73 was old when we grew up....I'm just in advanced middle age.

Indeed it was.  'Advanced middle age' it is.

When I was young, 30 was old....then didn't feel old at 35/45 either much less the other magic numbers.

Perhaps being old is having learned not to repeat foolish things so often as when one  lacked :doh:experience....or were forgetful of the recent past.

A few glasses less makes one much wider than before.

5 minutes ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

When I was young, 30 was old....then didn't feel old at 35/45 either much less the other magic numbers.

Perhaps being old is having learned not to repeat foolish things so often as when one  lacked :doh:experience....or were forgetful of the recent past.

A few glasses less makes one much wider than before.

I agree.  I have a saying, Old age is a sign of success because one doesn't get to be old by being foolish or careless.