Black swan in English Roses

yazeh

Black swan in English Roses

I love inks with a story. This is one of them. 

The quintessential English rose, the Rose of York, is a white rose. Obviously this is not it. 

5274A3AB-3914-4146-BE2E-4471C142FD91_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.31d92d84e9be3e31b32bfbf0ac136a84.jpeg

However, Nathan’s inspiration of this ink is the memory of a British Lady who visited her mother’s garden when he was a child. And this ink is indeed a homage to her, the first British person he ever met. The lady avoided looking at the poppies, reminding her of the loss she endured during the great war and focused on the roses. One can say that Black Swan in English Roses is a poppy by extension, and the title and artwork englobe the ‘innocence” of prewar and the “coming of age” of post war. 

You can check this video

This is an extremely well-behaved ink and ghosting and bleed through are non-existent even on Hillroy copy paper, which ghosts bic and pencil.
273229267_BlackSwan-Hilroy.thumb.jpeg.c9e127881cc78317c77d76c11f8b1ef3.jpeg

1113046172_BlackSwan-Hilroyback.thumb.jpeg.67ae98faab65fa763d9f153d3c10d398.jpeg

Ink is quite water resistant:

1929133560_BSiER-Watertest-Before.thumb.jpeg.8262cffd5a2e95371a0115ca12e76e02.jpeg386381127_BlackSwanwatertestafter.thumb.jpeg.2d707f0aac5153819795809fefb47f43.jpeg

Sample text on Tome River 68gr

Dry time is reasonable on non absorbent papers, though apparently in its earlier incarnations it was not.  Note the 20s dry time is for a broad nib on TR....

260554101_BlackSwanInEnglishRoses-TR.thumb.jpeg.a2fdd26584420acf43d2b13a80d7dc1c.jpeg

Hammermill

748732174_BlackSwanInEnglishRoses-Hammermill97.thumb.jpeg.3e3ea96a836b8b0f5b36f29e99b4c37d.jpeg

Hp 32

924621010_BlackSwanInEnglishRoses-HP32.thumb.jpeg.5fc0a291e81f29b7e0ccabcf8ed47712.jpeg

Comparaison

77567896_BLackSWEnglisRoses-Compariason1.thumb.jpeg.f01fd2b1e42cf9f094f8ad5881b5537b.jpeg

• Pen used: Noodler’s Ahab, Lamy Safari broad
• Shading: Yes 
• Ghosting: None
• Bleed through: None. 
• Flow Rate: Wet
• Lubrication: Nice
• Nib Dry-out: Not noticed.
• Start-up: No problem.
• Saturation: Rich and dark.
• Shading delightful
• Sheen: None, thankfully :) 
• Spread: None seen.
• Nib Creep None
• Staining: No.
• Clogging: Nope
• Water resistance: Water resistant
• Availability: Only in bottle 90 ml bottles.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• yazeh

• LizEF

• A Smug Dill

• langere

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the review!

How is the drying time for this ink? I'll have to retest, but recently I pulled out a pen that's inked with Black Swan in Australian Roses — last filled who-knows-when, but still retained at least half a converter's worth of ink in liquid form — and used it for a bit, and I was shocked how long it takes for that ink to dry! Well over a minute before the ink marks won't smudge on either Rhodia DotPad paper or Paperblanks journal pages.

I've been wondering about Black Swan in English Roses, but if the drying time is also long, then I'll pass.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I had similar thoughts, comparing these two inks.  I wonder if someone can put a side-by-side shot of Black Swan in English Roses and Black Swan in Australian Roses (though I do know that that latter has somewhat different versions).

I have Australian Roses and love the color of that ink.  One of my favorite "reds."

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

1 hour ago, A Smug Dill said:

Thanks for the review!

A pleasure...

How is the drying time for this ink? I'll have to retest, but recently I pulled out a pen that's inked with Black Swan in Australian Roses — last filled who-knows-when, but still retained at least half a converter's worth of ink in liquid form — and used it for a bit, and I was shocked how long it takes for that ink to dry! Well over a minute before the ink marks won't smudge on either Rhodia DotPad paper or Paperblanks journal pages.

In my experience English Roses's dry time is about 30s with a broad safari nib on Tomoe River 68gr

I did a test with the same pen on Rhodia, I would say 30 seconds. However, when I wrote with the back the pen (to emulate a fine nib) it was dry in less than 10 seconds. 

I've been wondering about Black Swan in English Roses, but if the drying time is also long, then I'll pass.

Again it depends on the nib/ pen combo you use. I wrote a text on Rhodia and after a minute it was dry. No smudging. There are so many aspects that  

56 minutes ago, langere said:

I had similar thoughts, comparing these two inks.  I wonder if someone can put a side-by-side shot of Black Swan in English Roses and Black Swan in Australian Roses (though I do know that that latter has somewhat different versions).

I have Australian Roses and love the color of that ink.  One of my favorite "reds."

Erick

Hope this helps: 

1062751772_English-Australian.thumb.jpeg.5ccd358d10f83d3c3b49b39e6bc2c909.jpeg

Very nice, @yazeh!  Thanks for another review.  I'm sensing a color scheme going on in your ink choices... :) 

7 hours ago, LizEF said:

Very nice, @yazeh!  Thanks for another review.  I'm sensing a color scheme going on in your ink choices... :) 

Thanks liz. It's just lucky hazard. The next one will make your eyes pop ;)👁️‍🗨️

10 minutes ago, yazeh said:

The next one will make your eyes pop ;)👁️‍🗨️

R&K Solferino?

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Thanks for the great review! You make the color look very good, like pomegranate jelly-filled dark chocolate. And some of your curly spirals invoke roses and the big capital S a swan's neck and head. :) I prefer this color to Black Swan in Australian Roses (the old version - I have never tried the new version). 

11 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

If you like the color of the old version of Black Swan in Australian Roses I've found that Diamine Handel is very similar but much better behaved, albeit it has just a little of a grey, dusty look and is not water resistant.

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

4 hours ago, yazeh said:

The next one will make your eyes pop ;)👁️‍🗨️

😱 Sounds painful! :yikes:

29 minutes ago, LizEF said:

😱 Sounds painful! :yikes:

I'm not sure if "she" would agree :)

2 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

Thanks for the great review! You make the color look very good, like pomegranate jelly-filled dark chocolate. And some of your curly spirals invoke roses and the big capital S a swan's neck and head. :) I prefer this color to Black Swan in Australian Roses (the old version - I have never tried the new version). 

Thank you. Much appreciated. :blush: 

Me too, I prefer this to the Aussie...

Thanks for the review, now to go through my ink cabinet and try and find my blackswan ink. I'm sure it is the Australian Rose one.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Nice review of a lovely ink.

Really like the Australian Rose as well!  Thank you for taking the time to share.

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."  - Selwyn Duke    

8 hours ago, PAKMAN said:

Thanks for the review, now to go through my ink cabinet and try and find my blackswan ink. I'm sure it is the Australian Rose one.

It's always fun to rediscover the inks we had...even if it's not English Roses...

31 minutes ago, Bisquitlips said:

Nice review of a lovely ink.

Really like the Australian Rose as well!  Thank you for taking the time to share.

Thank you 😮

I'll admit that I'm not a fan of the color Black Swan in English Roses.  It's a little too brown a red for me.  Black Swan in Australian Roses, on the other hand, I really love.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

9 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

I'll admit that I'm not a fan of the color Black Swan in English Roses.  It's a little too brown a red for me.  Black Swan in Australian Roses, on the other hand, I really love.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Nobody's perfect, Ruth ;)