Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

Esterbrook Eightball Desk Pen

Puffin

Well, I took the plunge and purchased an Estie Eightball Desk Pen off the eBay (I have maybe a dozen other Esties but this is my first desk pen).  It arrived today and the pen fits into the base pretty loosely. Is this normal? I had envisioned it would fit a hair more snuggly. If it’s not normal, is there a way to correct it?

Thanks in advance, Paula

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Puffin

• Grayspoole

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Grayspoole

Could you post a photo? Hard to know if something is wrong/missing otherwise...

Puffin

I opened the bottom by cutting through the felt.  The felt did not appear original and will be easily replaced. I was able to tighten it somewhat by pressing down on the locking tab. The (and pardon my lack of knowing the correct nomenclature) insert now feels tighter within the base although still less than I would imagine is correct. The pen sets into the insert still rather loosely. I imagine it should be just very slightly snug such that there is some resistance as the pen is inserted and then removed but not so much resistance that it takes two hands to remove it. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Puffin

I can probably remove the retaining clip and use either a rubber or felt gasket underneath it to further tighten the insert within the base. Not sure about the looseness of the pen within the insert though. 

Grayspoole

The pen holder looks complete to me.  Are you using it with a standard  Esterbrook desk pen like the one shown here? Perhaps this photo will also indicate the fit of the pen. Photo from this site http://dirck.delint.ca/beta/?page_id=977

35F85008-0870-4D28-84C9-BFE288812576.jpeg

Yes, exactly like that. I’ve already put a new sac on the pen and it writes like a charm. I wonder if the pen cup is just worn. I have an idea. It might be a tad crazy. If I remove the pen cup (I believe that might be the correct term) and use a small hose clamp on it while gently heating it with hair dryer, if I might be able to tighten it up. 

Okay. So here’s what’s appearing to solve it. I removed the pen cup, cleaned up some scuffs on the inner surface, soaked the pen cup in some hot water for a few minutes and then while it was hot, inserted the pen. I’m letting it cool now but it appears to be significantly improved.