Montegrappa High End Pen Quality

Joe124013

Hello,

So in the past, I have owned a couple Montegrappa pens (Fortuna Blazer and Fortuna Heartwood Teak). However, the quality was...not what I would've expected. I used each one only once and stored them in my pen case. There's really no environmental issues, the case is fully enclosed, yet the finish on the Blazer started chipping/wearing off (I've seen this reported other places) and the Teak developed a small hairline crack in the wood. After that experience I had swore off Montegrappa. However, I got a release about the new Blackstar tribute to Bowie pen and...I'm sorely tempted. Bowie's one of my fav artists ever, and from the releases I've seen the pen does look great. However, I just remember m old experience with the brand and I'm a bit wary of buying any of their high end offerings. 

So I'm asking, what are people's experiences with their higher end pens? Has the fit/finish been satisfactory? Any issues? Problems getting those addressed? 

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jchch1950

• Joe124013

• MoriartyR

• Namo

Some more knowledgable peole will certainly have a more significative number of pens to give you an answer. 

I have one Extra Black Bamboo. I am using it on a daily basis since 18 monthes or so. I take care of the pen but I am using it, for example letting it on the desk and so on. I always use a pouch of course. The pen is still in percet condition and the celluloid does not show any crack, hairline or scratch. 

Hope this helps a little.

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

On 7/7/2021 at 8:22 AM, Joe124013 said:

Hello,

So in the past, I have owned a couple Montegrappa pens (Fortuna Blazer and Fortuna Heartwood Teak). However, the quality was...not what I would've expected. I used each one only once and stored them in my pen case. There's really no environmental issues, the case is fully enclosed, yet the finish on the Blazer started chipping/wearing off (I've seen this reported other places) and the Teak developed a small hairline crack in the wood. After that experience I had swore off Montegrappa. However, I got a release about the new Blackstar tribute to Bowie pen and...I'm sorely tempted. Bowie's one of my fav artists ever, and from the releases I've seen the pen does look great. However, I just remember m old experience with the brand and I'm a bit wary of buying any of their high end offerings. 

So I'm asking, what are people's experiences with their higher end pens? Has the fit/finish been satisfactory? Any issues? Problems getting those addressed? 

I have an Extra 1930 black/silver (or white if you like) celluloid material fountain pen since 2006. I bought it new from an authorised dealer and use it occasionally, for about a month at a stretch. I have not experienced any issues with quality.

Hope this helps

The Extra's are excellent pens. The only downside - which is rarely ever mentioned - is the small ink capacity. They have a captive converter, but it never seems to hold quite as much as a normal converter for some reason.

I personally think their higher end pens are more well put together as the production numbers are smaller and they pay more attention to each piece. Having said that, I personally find Montegrappa more of an artisanal maker compared with, let's say the Germans, with their tight tolerances and machine production. So expect your pen to be held together with less precise tolerances. But they don't fall apart if you think I am trying to say that.

42 minutes ago, jchch1950 said:

I have some doubts about the long term of the celluloid of some Montegrappa.

Is that based on anything you have experienced or heard about? Or just a fear about celluloid in general?

Appreciate the feedback everyone, it alleviates some of my fear. I really like the look and of course Bowie, it's just my past experience had firmly put Montegrappa on my "no buy" list. 

On 7/9/2021 at 11:00 PM, MoriartyR said:

Is that based on anything you have experienced or heard about? Or just a fear about celluloid in general?

It is based on personal experience and an expensive one.

On 7/11/2021 at 9:34 AM, jchch1950 said:

Sorry a mistake in quoting and the answer. My answer is the second line.😒

This is something I haven’t heard of before. Which pen and which celluloid was it? What happened to it?

What I love about Montegrappa Extra/Extra 1930 and Otto lines is the design, craftsmanship and silver/celluloid material. Older nibs seem softer and newer ones can be stiff, but still very nice writers if tuned properly. I am less crazy about the filling system which is essentially a captive converter (small ink capacity and repair can be costly). Mine never broke but i have heard from others costly repairs should it break and if it’s out of warranty. I have never seen or heard of any celluloid problems by Montegrappa. They seem the most stable among modern celluloids, and of course so beautiful.

Stunning pens but just beyond my spending limit to date. Maybe one day, that limit will change. I have been eyeing the Extra 1930.