Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

Inherited Mabie, Todd & Bard Swan eyedropper with Wave Chased Double Scroll pattern overlay - rare?

SussexChris

Hello,

I have recently inherited this pen from my father. The history is unclear, but has definitely been passed down through the family. I have found a few pictures of these pens online and think the description in the title is correct, which would date it to 1903-1907.

I would be very grateful if anyone is able to verify this and comment on how rare it is? I've seen values for similar pens running from $100 - $5000. What might be a sensible value for insurance?

Many thanks indeed,

Chris.

IMG_20210705_115355.jpg

IMG_20210705_115336_1.jpg

IMG_20210705_115318.jpg

IMG_20210705_104447.jpg

IMG_20210705_104605.jpg

IMG_20210705_104613-1.jpg

IMG_20210705_104542-1.jpg

IMG_20210705_104502-1.jpg

IMG_20210705_104551.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SussexChris

• Greenie

• lionelc

• shalitha33

Greenie

This is a highly desirable pattern. It looks to be in very good condition.  You have the dates correct.

I tend to undervalue pens when people ask, so keep that in mind.  I think the value is about $500, which is the upper end of what I have paid for similar pens. At pen shows, the asking price is probably anywhere from $750-$1000. 

lionelc

agree with the pen show estimate - uncommon pattern.  closest thing i have seen to it would probably be a swan number 2 size from 1910

Parcival

If the pen is made of solid gold, not just gold filled, it will cost a lot - 2-3k

So the question is, are there any hallmarks on the pen?  Is the mark on the barrel end shown a hallmark, or damage?

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

SussexChris
14 hours ago, Parcival said:

If the pen is made of solid gold, not just gold filled, it will cost a lot - 2-3k

Wow! ... there's no hallmark, but it's not magnetic. Is there any other way to tell?

SussexChris
13 hours ago, Ron Z said:

So the question is, are there any hallmarks on the pen?  Is the mark on the barrel end shown a hallmark, or damage?

It's damage rather than a hallmark unfortunately.

• 2 weeks later...
linkoiram
On 7/6/2021 at 2:29 PM, shalitha33 said:

Its a beautiful pen.

Have a look at http://www.fivestarpens.com/swan-mabie-todd.html.

Your pen looks to be in much better shape and also the gold vs silver matter.

Only pen seller in my state and they are asking ludicrous prices, just lol. Even funnier, "save on the tax" *excludes SD residents

crescentfiller
On 7/20/2021 at 3:55 PM, linkoiram said:

Only pen seller in my state and they are asking ludicrous prices, just lol. Even funnier, "save on the tax" *excludes SD residents

There's nothing "ludicrous" about Fivestar's pricing, quite frankly. They charge the going rate on their pens and I find their pen parts prices reasonable. They do a very brisk business, so they can't be too ludicrous. Furthermore, do note that the population of SD is about 884,659 while the population of the United States is over 328M, so the sales tax exemption is valuable to more than a few customers. 

Are good fountain pens expensive? Yes.

But, if you have a pen like the OP's or the one at Fivestarpens and want to sell it to me for, say, $5, shoot me a PM! I'll gladly pay the sales tax....