Asking the FPN members: would a FPN session at a pen show be interesting for you?

InesF

Dear all.

The title tells it already. I like to ask you, the FPN members, about your opinion:

Would it be interesting for you to see and hear some FPN members talk about a topic of their expertise or demonstrate a skill which is fountain pen and ink related?

Currently, there is no date and no location set, it may be a show early to mid 2022 in either EU, US or Japan.

The FPN session can include topics, such as:

- using fountain pens for calligraphy or aesthetic handwriting

- using fountain pens for sketching and drawing

- experiences with inks in fountain pens with EF or stub/CI or other special nibs

- experiences with special inks

- physical and chemical properties determining ink wetness

- stories handwritten with a fountain pen

- the history of a certain FP brand

- how to make an ink by yourself

- experiences with ink mixing and/or ink light fastness

- a personal story about writing with or collecting fountain pens

This are more topics than such a session should have. 4-6 may be a good number of talks or demonstrations. The session should be announced in the program.

Please post your opinion.

Is it more likely for you to attend a certain show when such a session is announced?

If you are a pen show organiser: would it be interesting for you to include such a session?

Would you like to contribute with a talk or with a demonstration? (send me a PM or give me a signal to PM you)

Your reply is appreciated.

One life!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pale.Ink.Tom

• InesF

• Parker51

• NgunnawalJack

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My response is yes, but I have already experienced much of what you suggested at pen shows in the USA in Ohio and NC, pen club meetings here in Central Ohio and the Pelikan Hub.

Perhaps you have not as it is my understanding that some pen shows do not have seminars nor presentations and most places do not have pen clubs.

If this is the case, then perhaps you first need to find out what provision your tentatively identified pen shows are willing to make in regard to a presentation or presentations. 

Thank you @Parker51, indeed I have not seen an announcement or a program mentioning seminars other than the classes and workshops from San Francisco pen show. I contacted the organizers already; others will follow.

Let's see if is something is possible - many new things start small.

@NgunnawalJack: I would also like to start in Europe and expand later.

One life!

• 1 month later...
On 7/10/2021 at 7:12 PM, NgunnawalJack said:

Nice if in the Nordic/Baltic region.

Same in South Pacific region..?

However I've never ever seen a 'Pen Show'  

I imagine they are wonderful...

πTom

6 hours ago, Versofolio said:

Same in South Pacific region..?

However I've never ever seen a 'Pen Show'  

I imagine they are wonderful...

My understanding is there is a group of pen collectors in the Pacific that might have enough members to support a Pen Show, Manila, but given the distance of the South Pacific from where most vendors/ pen makers are and related travel expenses I doubt that without a significant sponsor to cover most of the travel, shipping and security costs having one there is unlikely in the near future.

The Philippines may have such a large community of collectors due to their requirement to use Fountain Pens in taking long written examinations a generation or two ago for many professions. I know a former Judge and attorney who recalls using a Parker 51 to write her exams in the 1960s. 

Thanks to @Versofolio and @Parker51 for the replies.

Generally spoken, it would be nice to travel once around the world, from pen show to pen show if it would be sponsored.

With COVID restrictions still in place, limiting the access not only for exhibitors and presenters but also for visitors, the willingness to sponsor events or contributions is currently at a low.

As it looks like so far, I will try to be at some shows in Europe in 2022 and hope for the one or the other far away in 2023.

One life!

Thank you InesF. I quite understand, of course.

I actually have lived my entire life in the country of New Zealand. I'm unlikely to ever leave.

I have become accustomed to being..dare I say it..neglected by this "Pen Show" Industry you describe? No!

That's incorrect!

We are seeding a friendly and dedicated, although tiny, pen community here in NZ and I love being part of it

It will grow and thrive but never reach the threshold to attract large scale support. 

I regularly try to remind such members that we are a 'Global', pen enthusiast's community. We are everywhere!

Just a little push back from the 'elsewhere people' and a nudge against the prevailing thought.. nothing personal😊

Cheers, from good old versofolio. (I see I may conjured up a quasi-Shakespearean character by accident) Or Roman or Dickensian!!?

πTom

Hi @Versofolio.

You are about 12.000 km (in straight line) away - that's a lot for walking (especially while passing the hot Earth core).

But here is the (only?) beauty of the internet: you are less than one second away via the net.

Having been in Australia once, unfortunately, I never made it to New Zealand. Visiting fountain pen enthusiasts may be a very good reason to 'step by'... 😄

One life!

Sorry InesF, we may have been closed that day anyway!😆

Apparently we do that nowadays.

Australia is the consolation prize of course, as everyone here knows. Yes they have their interesting little bushes and mammals and colorful dirt. Oh and the "Big Brother house". But if you want to see the 'plucky little country that can do really cool stuff'.

I realize we have a lot to say for ourselves at times but other times we just go out and win World Cups and launch rockets and stuff then head to the pub for a cold one!

Look up "Surrokko" pens InesF. made somewhere near me?! Paul and Damon.

A upcoming range is on the drawing board.

I'm hoping to see mine soon. When Paul has time he will be etching a 'collector code' on it.

Anyhoo, dinner time here, 12000k underground...is that what they all mean by rabbithole??

Cheers, vf

πTom

There are classes/seminars at the Arkansas show every year, and pretty much all of those topics are gone over/taught.  The classes are usually an hour to three, depending on what they're about.  Sometimes they're free, sometimes you have to pay $10 or $20 or so.

I think most shows have this already, either during the day, or after the show is closed so more people can attend.

We Give Away Scholarships! - Support High School Students Going to College

5 hours ago, Versofolio said:

I regularly try to remind such members that we are a 'Global', pen enthusiast's community. We are everywhere!

Just a little push back from the 'elsewhere people' and a nudge against the prevailing thought.. nothing personal😊

image.png.ca51b9dd982f54267740ba1cfaee6658.png

8 hours ago, Versofolio said:

Sorry InesF, we may have been closed that day anyway!😆

Apparently we do that nowadays.

Australia is the consolation prize of course, as everyone here knows. Yes they have their interesting little bushes and mammals and colorful dirt. Oh and the "Big Brother house". But if you want to see the 'plucky little country that can do has really cool stuff'.

I realize we have a lot to say for ourselves at times but other times we just go out and win World Cups and launch rockets and stuff then head to the pub for a cold one!

Look up "Surrokko" pens InesF. made somewhere near me?! Paul and Damon.

A upcoming range is on the drawing board.

I'm hoping to see mine soon. When Paul has time he will be etching a 'collector code' on it.

Anyhoo, dinner time here, 12000k underground...is that what they all mean by rabbithole??

Cheers, vf

When I was in high school there was an exchange student at our school, a Miss Finch in my Psychology class. For the first few weeks as she did not introduce herself, having been introduced by our teacher to our class and as neither he, nor her offered any other name than that which was initially stated and as he referred to her formally the entire class did as well. Even when we learned her name, after one “ brave” boy asked and she revealed it as Emily she was primarily spoken to as Miss Finch the rest by the class members. 

Since then when I have read repeatedly about how informal those in the USA are, I am given to the thought that reality may be a bit different and familiarity is not assumed by all here and certainly not unless it is invited. 

8 hours ago, NgunnawalJack said:

image.png.ca51b9dd982f54267740ba1cfaee6658.png

G'day mate!

Hope you're havin a great day up ya gum tree mate!

I'm in level 4 lockdown and I'm off to write and play with my pens for the whole day!

Cheers, NgunnawalJack

πTom