Noodler's Ottoman Rose

yazeh

Noodler’s Ottoman Rose

This is one the earliest inks I bought. One of those rare inks that can handle Jinhao 450 fude nibs with no problem and never dries out.

Swab  

20210623_075724.thumb.jpg.27529fa84f901fef81db2300fcca16d0.jpg
I do a lot of editing and I truly enjoy jotting notes and doodling with a fine nib.   

1368106107_OttomanRose-Sketch.jpg.beb6b4775b73e02ff4adef2e978919a7.jpg

Ink has decent water resistance, i.e., most of your text will be legible with a minor spill. 

695903890_Ottomoanwaterbefore.jpeg.c05537a5e7004dc5ade2dc24ad069dd6.jpeg913616809_OttomanRosewatertest-after.jpeg.4736cccc39ed17030d3e203361d1708d.jpeg

The only downside is dry time is high with wet pens and non-absorbent paper, Duh! This can easily be mitigated with finer nibs and absorbent paper, obviously. Suffice to say, if you’re lefty over writer who like wide nibs, wet pens and water-resistant paper and write from right to left, you’re in trouble! 

So, what make this ink special, besides it being very well behaved, wet, lubricated, and vibrant?

The name. 

The name?!

“What’s in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.” 

20210623_075741.thumb.jpg.0fb160f0d76f18b51d33180eb9e01071.jpg

Indeed. 

I am not sure if Nathan Tardif had this originally in mind but here goes: 

The artwork is a scene from a harem. 

Ottoman Rose242.jpg

The name Ottoman Rose reminds me of a semi-double gallica (French) rose, La Belle Sultane. What does a French rose to do with the Ottoman Turks? 

belle-sultane.jpg

Patience. 

The rose is named after Aimée Dubucq de Rivery, a distant cousin of Josephine Beauharnais, Napoleon Bonaparte’s love and first wife. 

th?id=OIP.lrvyP3h7xngU6TwJ2f8bVwHaD8%26p

Aimée was sent to France to attend an academy for young girls. On her return her to Martinique her ship was attacked by pirates, and she was sold off to the harem of the Ottoman King (Sultan) of the time. 

She gave birth to the future Mahmoud II. 

The rose was named after her.

Now most of the story is false and seems out of the Angelique series. But then again, stories are here to take us away.  

La Belle Sultane, has not been as cooperative as the ink, this year, its flowers, due to the early heat waves, were pink and not that rich deep burgundy colour as above. However a slight wash did the trick.  

1470403558_OttomanRose301.thumb.jpg.9317f7719edb58543e28cc2e26f04290.jpg

Here are some text samples. 

Midori - Text start with fude... finishes with medium.

1901909518_OttomanRosemidori.thumb.jpeg.12f8f189272c63e561dfc30db0d7e9d0.jpeg

Tomoe River 68 gr - note the colour changed compared with Midori

1685712959_OttomanRoseTR68gr.thumb.jpeg.f727cfae0b9deb90e075ff69f7561c45.jpeg

Comparaison:

603189035_Ottomoancompaaraison.thumb.jpeg.7a6f1ae634d4552fb01c15c797a6e3fc.jpeg

·  Pens used: Pilot Metropolitan fine, Jinhao 450 fude nib

·  Shading: Depends on paper

·  Ghosting: Depends on the paper

·  Bleed through: On copy paper with a wide, wet nib. 

·  Flow Rate: Nice and wet

·  Lubrication: Nice

·  Nib Dry-out: Nope.

·  Start-up: No problem.

·  Saturation:  Unabashedly pink

·  Shading Potential: Wet flex nib yes.

·  Sheen: No

·  Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: Didn’t notice.

·  Nib Creep / “Crud”: None

·  Staining (pen): Nope. Easy to clean…

·  Clogging: Not at all

·  Water resistance: Won’t survive a flood but it will fight off a glass of water gallantly.

·  Availability: Only in bottle.

Enjoy!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• yazeh

• inkstainedruth

• IThinkIHaveAProblem

• namrehsnoom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for this :)

Btw, i think Nathan’s intention was to create a version/replacement for Sheaffer Persian Rose

IIRC there is some significant variation in extant bottles of Persian Rose so Nathan created two inks:

- Shah’ Rose; and

- Ottoman Rose

more here:

thank you for your review and the great photos! :)

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

9 minutes ago, LizEF said:

Nice review, @yazeh!  I like the color and I like that last flower picture, even if it is paler than it should be. :)

Thanks Liz ;)

5 minutes ago, IThinkIHaveAProblem said:

Thanks for this :)

Btw, i think Nathan’s intention was to create a version/replacement for Sheaffer Persian Rose

IIRC there is some significant variation in extant bottles of Persian Rose so Nathan created two inks:

- Shah’ Rose; and

- Ottoman Rose

more here:

thank you for your review and the great photos! :)

Thanks. I wasn't aware of the Persian Rose link....

Lovely review @yazeh thank you :)

It's not enough to make me start buying Noodler's but if anything were going to, this might be one of them

Excellent review including comparisons with the real things and it's nice to know that you're also into flower themselves. Especially the colour-change evoked by paper-change is stunning. IYAM one of Nathan's "better" creations.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Wow!! What a great review@yazeh I loved the explanation of the name and the color comparisons. Oddly enough I just finished inking a pen with Noodler's Kuprin, part of the Russian series, and it is a somewhat similar color. No drying problems with Kuprin and Noodlers claims it is archival, bullet proof, fluorescent, forge resistant and water resistant!  But it doesn't do dishes ;) 429371353_ScreenShot2021-06-26at3_53_57PM.thumb.png.84fa58a7c7b0de39b7d0db821a790134.png

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

3 hours ago, mizgeorge said:

Lovely review @yazeh thank you :)

It's not enough to make me start buying Noodler's but if anything were going to, this might be one of them

Thanks :blush: You don't know what you're missing. ;) Their not as bad as you think :D

2 hours ago, lapis said:

Excellent review including comparisons with the real things and it's nice to know that you're also into flower themselves. Especially the colour-change evoked by paper-change is stunning. IYAM one of Nathan's "better" creations.

Thank you, lapis. It is indeed one his better creations.... :)

2 hours ago, OCArt said:

Wow!! What a great review@yazeh I loved the explanation of the name and the color comparisons. Oddly enough I just finished inking a pen with Noodler's Kuprin, part of the Russian series, and it is a somewhat similar color. No drying problems with Kuprin and Noodlers claims it is archival, bullet proof, fluorescent, forge resistant and water resistant!  But it doesn't do dishes ;) 429371353_ScreenShot2021-06-26at3_53_57PM.thumb.png.84fa58a7c7b0de39b7d0db821a790134.png

Thanks! 

I was inspired and re-interpreted. 

I have always been intrigued by the  Russian series...

One day.... 

Interesting story about the supposed inspiration for the rose, and for the ink itself.  The slow dry time was why I didn't like the ink (but its supposed sister ink, Shah's Rose, I really like).  

Of course now, from reading this thread, it looks as if I'm going to have to try a sample of Noodler's Kuprin.... :rolleyes:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

That looks like a very nice old-rose. Thank you for the excellent review. Besides the ink’s colour, I really appreciate the accompanying photos and the story about the origin of the ink’s name. I love reading reviews that tell a story and contain all kinds of additional bits of knowledge. Makes for an enjoyable read, and makes me appreciate the ink even more. I only own a few Noodler’s inks, but Nathan seems to have a million of them, many of intriguing colour.

And many of them have interesting stories behind the inspiration for them as well.  

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

12 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

And many of them have interesting stories behind the inspiration for them as well.  

I bought Dark Matter just for the story :)

I did the same thing with Harold's Hearse.  Even though the color is really hideous....

2 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

I did the same thing with Harold's Hearse.  Even though the color is really hideous....

Had to go look that up...

Found it on jet pens.

gotta say, I could tolerate the colour, but from their swatches, it looks like it has the feathering issues that I cannot stand from some of Nathan's inks. my bottle of 54th is borderline unusable, it feathers soooo much :( (I know your's Ruth IIRC is amazing and stable)

I like most of the inks I have bought though. 

3 hours ago, namrehsnoom said:

That looks like a very nice old-rose. Thank you for the excellent review. Besides the ink’s colour, I really appreciate the accompanying photos and the story about the origin of the ink’s name. I love reading reviews that tell a story and contain all kinds of additional bits of knowledge. Makes for an enjoyable read, and makes me appreciate the ink even more. I only own a few Noodler’s inks, but Nathan seems to have a million of them, many of intriguing colour.

Thank you @namrehsnoom.  Just to precise, this is my interpretation. As I have both the rose and the ink :D

3 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

Don't they. For some reason, Red, blue and green don't cut it for me.... I am a sucker for stories... otherwise, I blend my own inks :D