Your Top 5 Parker Models List?

TheRedBeard

Of the few pens I have, my favorites

vacumatic blue plastic filler mid 40s 

51 vacuum fill early 50s

duofold blue vacuum fill mid 40s

21 med nib 

vacumatic debutante 1937 black lockdown filler

i seem to like vacumatics they are the best!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Carguy

• zeroduke

• TheRedBeard

• david-p

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Hbanger said:

Vacumatics are great!

I have never understood why others find the 61 too slim. I guess I should measure the difference between it and the 51, though I am not sure that the dimensions of either stayed absolutely constant throughout their manufacturing lifetime. But my point is that the difference in girth between the 51 and the 61 is not large.

On the other hand, I have a Parker ballpoint pen that I find too fat, preferring my slim Papermate ballpoints.

The question that then arises is why I should prefer a slimmer ballpoint in comparison with a fountain pen for both to feel comfortable to me. Maybe it is because one presses down on the ballpoint and needs a tighter grip.

David

7 hours ago, david-p said:

I have never understood why others find the 61 too slim. I guess I should measure the difference between it and the 51, though I am not sure that the dimensions of either stayed absolutely constant throughout their manufacturing lifetime. But my point is that the difference in girth between the 51 and the 61 is not large.

It’s not the maximum girth, although the 61 looks slimmer, it is the taper.  The “51” maintains a thicker diameter much closer to the nib.  

Aha!  I measured them and my 51s and 61s are actually the same diameter at the barrel. I hold them higher up than most do, which probably explains why they feel approx the same to me.

David

On 9/21/2021 at 5:17 AM, Hbanger said:

Of the few pens I have, my favorites

vacumatic blue plastic filler mid 40s 

51 vacuum fill early 50s

duofold blue vacuum fill mid 40s

21 med nib 

vacumatic debutante 1937 black lockdown filler

Thank you, Hbanger. 

In spite of having many Parkers, I am still on the way of finding a nice P51 Vac for my collection. 

All the best is only beginning now...

On 9/23/2021 at 8:29 AM, david-p said:

Aha!  I measured them and my 51s and 61s are actually the same diameter at the barrel. I hold them higher up than most do, which probably explains why they feel approx the same to me.

David

David, you are not alone in this :) 

I also normally hold all my fountain Parkers much higher than other people do, almost at the clutch ring, so that is why I started using my 61s even more often than 51s during last months :) 

On your earlier comments on ballpoints: I have found that I also prefer slimmer BPs like Classic Flighter and 75 Fligher...

• 4 weeks later...

There is my revised list again :) 

The same faces, but slightly changed order :)  

1. Parker 51 Aero (mid/late-50s)

2. Parker 61 (capillary filler) 

3. Parker 75 (Sterling Cisele or other GP/SP-plated models of late-60s/early-70s)

4. Parker 100

5. Duofold Centennial Int. (modern)

I should admit that nowadays I am using my 61s the most...

6 hours ago, TheRedBeard said:

There is my revised list again :) 

The same faces, but slightly changed order :)  

1. Parker 51 Aero (mid/late-50s)

2. Parker 61 (capillary filler) 

3. Parker 75 (Sterling Cisele or other GP/SP-plated models of late-60s/early-70s)

4. Parker 100

5. Duofold Centennial Int. (modern)

I should admit that nowadays I am using my 61s the most...

Your list matches my Top 3 exactly! I’d probably put the 45 in place of the 100 I don’t have, and a vintage Vac instead of modern Duofold.. However, I have just started using my Sonnets again since I’ve  been able to fix the drying out problem and I like them also.

14 hours ago, Carguy said:

Your list matches my Top 3 exactly! I’d probably put the 45 in place of the 100 I don’t have, and a vintage Vac instead of modern Duofold.. However, I have just started using my Sonnets again since I’ve  been able to fix the drying out problem and I like them also.

Great :) And I see that since June you have revised your Top 3 List, too, replacing P21 with P75 :)