• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheRedBeard

• Carguy

• Penguincollector

• mitto

13 hours ago, Estycollector said:

post-156106-0-66957200-1581887790_thumb.jpgpost-156106-0-98596000-1582596457_thumb.jpgpost-156106-0-55975300-1582596602_thumb.jpgpost-156106-0-10807200-1583921035.jpgpost-156106-0-92864400-1584357143_thumb.jpgMine are a couple of '42 51's and a NOS 21 that I filled for the first time two years ago. 

That's nice :) 

All the best is only beginning now...

Here's my selection, but I refuse to rank them because tomorrow I'll think differently.  And would you allow me to choose 6?

Parker 180. My daughter picks this one as the nicest in my collection and I can see why. But it's a bit slim for me, and why would anybody want to write upside down?  This reverse writing thing is a mystery to me - can anybody explain?

Parker 51.  Black with Lustraloy cap, undoubtedly the classiest combination, but also the most common.  And undoubtedly the most iconic, beautiful and best pen ever made.  No arguments please.  Aeromatic version for simplicity and reliabilty.

Parker 65.  A Parker 51 in fancy clothes and maybe my favourite, apart from the 61 style jewel on the end of the barrel.  With a 51 barrel it could have been the perfect Parker.

Parker Duofold flat top.  Almost as lovely as the Parker 51, and unsurprisingly the design which has inspired the most copies. The only old one I own is a 1928 Lady but the ink sac has perished.  My Centennial and International are both very nice, but far too expensive.

Parker Duofold Maxima (1958 on).  Big, bold, plain, irresistible. Maybe its a sexual thing, sorry.

Jinhao 100 / Moonman 600S / Kaigelu 316.  Perhaps these don't really count as Parkers, but they look just as good as vintage Duofolds and write just as nicely. And they cost a small fraction of the price.

8 hours ago, Emver said:

But it's a bit slim for me, and why would anybody want to write upside down?  This reverse writing thing is a mystery to me - can anybody explain?

Yes. Many people who use a fountain pen have, or use, only one. For such people it is a feature, not a bug, that with one pen you can write at two different thicknesses of ink. Apart from wanting one appearance or the other, some papers won't tolerate a medium or broad line but will tolerate a fine line. Or, OTOH, ink-repellent paper won't take much of a line from a fine nib but give you a chance with a broader nib. Just flip over the pen and you're back in business.

For those who have two or many pens at hand, with different nib widths, the 180 can still seem nifty even if not necessary in practical terms. Many people like things that are nifty or clever even if sheer practicality doesn't require the clever fix.

There are people in this world who would find it hard to understand why you own as many pens as you do. But I won't ask if anyone can explain that.

19 hours ago, Ferocity said:

just 5?

Parker 50 Falcon

Parker Sonnet

Parker VP

Parker 105

Parker Duofold Maxima

Well done Ferocity!  A deliberately provocative selection I suspect, and refreshingly different from the usual Duofold / 51 / 75 Cisele selections.

But I'll swallow the bait......

P50 Falcon. I have one and it's a mildly pretty pen, but I'm not sure that I would ever choose it for actually writing a letter.

Sonnet.  For some reason I have 3 of these, almost certainly all Chinese fakes, and for that reason I wouldn't risk buying another.

VP.  Again I had to have one because I like this style of pen. But I don't think I would risk writing with it in case it sprang an incurable leak.

105.  Thankfully I don't have one of those. Perhaps the most hideous range of finishes Parker have invented?

Duofold Maxima.  Strangely enough that's on my list too.  

On 9/1/2021 at 4:47 AM, Ferocity said:

just 5?

Parker 50 Falcon

Parker Sonnet

Parker VP

Parker 105

Parker Duofold Maxima

Thank you, Ferocity :)

Yes, just 5, sorry ;) 

Initially I wanted people to name only Top 3, but then realised it would be too "torturous" for genuine Parker aficionados :) 

It is good to see P50 Falcon and VP on your list... 

Do you like any particular P50 model, or you like all P50s?

My top 5 model list

1. Parker Classic fp (flighter, GT, f-nib)

2. Parker 45 (flighter, f-nib)

3, Parker Urban fp (first model, f-nib)

4. Parker Jotter fp (first model, f-nib, CT)

5. Parker Frontier fp (flighter, m-nib CT)

My top 5 (from the ones I have, which is rather limited)

1. Parker striped Duofold/Duovac: Beautiful pens but hard to get. They write well too.

2. Parker Vacumatic, especially the lockdown version. Stunning material and typically very nice nibs, although not much flex in them

3. Parker Vector. Probably mainly for sentimental reasons, as my first fountain pen was a Vector. I used it for many years in school and the first years of university and it never failed me.

4. Parker 20 eyedropper. Superb flexible nib. I don't use it much, but it is a delight

5 Parker 51. It was a bit hard to choose between the 51 and the original Duofold, but I hardly ever used the latter. The 51 is a reliable writer and the Aerometric version is very easy to maintan

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2021 at 12:42 AM, mr T. said:

My top 5 model list

1. Parker Classic fp (flighter, GT, f-nib)

2. Parker 45 (flighter, f-nib)

3, Parker Urban fp (first model, f-nib)

4. Parker Jotter fp (first model, f-nib, CT)

5. Parker Frontier fp (flighter, m-nib CT)

Thank you, Mr T. :) 

It is interesting to see Classic Flighter at the top of your list. 

Classic Flighter GT is a nice pen though it is too thin for me...

On 9/8/2021 at 1:37 PM, Nethermark said:

My top 5 (from the ones I have, which is rather limited)

1. Parker striped Duofold/Duovac: Beautiful pens but hard to get. They write well too.

2. Parker Vacumatic, especially the lockdown version. Stunning material and typically very nice nibs, although not much flex in them

3. Parker Vector. Probably mainly for sentimental reasons, as my first fountain pen was a Vector. I used it for many years in school and the first years of university and it never failed me.

4. Parker 20 eyedropper. Superb flexible nib. I don't use it much, but it is a delight

5 Parker 51. It was a bit hard to choose between the 51 and the original Duofold, but I hardly ever used the latter. The 51 is a reliable writer and the Aerometric version is very easy to maintan

Thank you, Nethermark :) 

I have similar sentiments to 88/Rialto like yours on Vector... 

1 - “51” Vac

2 - modern Duofold Centennial 

3 - “51” aerometric

4 - 75

5 - 61 (boarders on too slim)

Honorable mentions (models that I can’t/don’t use for some reason):

• T1 - too valuable & fragile 

• Falcon/50 - too thin

• original Duofold Mandarin yellow - only original I’ve kept & too valuable & fragile 

19 minutes ago, david-p said:

61 capillary

61 converter flighter

51 aeromatic

45 flighter

180 flighter

Thank you, David-P :) 

Nice to see 61s on top :) 

Interestingly, a capillary 61 is now my daily pen, I like it more and more...

7 minutes ago, Glenn-SC said:

1 - “51” Vac

3 - “51” aerometric

4 - 75

• Falcon/50 - too thin

• original Duofold Mandarin yellow - only original I’ve kept & too valuable & fragile 

Thank you, Glenn :) 

Perfect list ;) 

And I have similar feelings towards yours on 61s and Falcon...

However, while 61 is slimmer for me after 51, I started enjoying it a lot.

54 minutes ago, Glenn-SC said:

1 - “51” Vac

3 - “51” aerometric

4 - 75

• Falcon/50 - too thin

I agree with his list and am surprised that I don’t find the 61 too slim. However, I have  perfectly tuned Rage Red and Surf Green capillary fills that both write AMAZINGLY.

7 minutes ago, Carguy said:

I agree with his list and am surprised that I don’t find the 61 too slim. However, I have  perfectly tuned Rage Red and Surf Green capillary fills that both write AMAZINGLY.

The 61 made my “use” list because it boarders on, but is not, too slim. 
And I agree, the 61s I have write very well.  The size just precludes me from getting more.  (Except Demos and “Market Test” issues.)😁