Your Top 5 Parker Models List?

TheRedBeard

Being an oldie I would go for

1   Original Duofold

2   Vacumatic

3   Parco/ Parkette

4   Newhaven/ Canadian/ Penol Victory/ Duofold/ Popular

5   Challenger/ Televisor

I left the 51 out because everyone else included it and I am not enamoured of the hooded nib.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheRedBeard

• Carguy

• Penguincollector

• mitto

6 minutes ago, peterg said:

Being an oldie I would go for

1   Original Duofold

2   Vacumatic

3   Parco/ Parkette

4   Newhaven/ Canadian/ Penol Victory/ Duofold/ Popular

5   Challenger/ Televisor

I left the 51 out because everyone else included it and I am not enamoured of the hooded nib.

Thank you, Peter :) 

Wide range of open opinions based on feelings is exactly what we need here :) 

All the best is only beginning now...

2 hours ago, TheRedBeard said:

Thank you, Pithy Prolix :) 

I think it is quite natural that one's opinion changes over years as we try more pens :) 

I just now bought a user grade 180 in Jasper Red Quartz X/M nib (about $11 USD/£7.50) - should arrive in a couple days. My horizons have expanded considerably! 

So that will be my #5, by default ... 😁

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

25 minutes ago, PithyProlix said:

I just now bought a user grade 180 in Jasper Red Quartz X/M nib (about $11 USD/£7.50) - should arrive in a couple days. My horizons have expanded considerably! 

Congrats! Great, your list is full :) 

4 hours ago, TheRedBeard said:

Thank you, Zeroduke. 

It is a first time we do not see P51 on the list :) 

That's correct.  It is not on the list because it's not a favourite one thou I own two of them, Insignia and Forest Green.  The P61 was included because of the interesting capillary system.  Otherwise the Premier (modern) would be there.  I've never been a P51 fan.

Think Different

44 minutes ago, zeroduke said:

That's correct.  It is not on the list because it's not a favourite one thou I own two of them, Insignia and Forest Green.  The P61 was included because of the interesting capillary system.  Otherwise the Premier (modern) would be there.  I've never been a P51 fan.

I see.

7 hours ago, zeroduke said:

I've never been a P51 fan.

Some people aren't.  The guy who runs the mailing list for my local pen club doesn't like hooded nibs.  That's okay, though -- more for the rest of us (before mitto gets them all, at any rate... :lol:).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

8 hours ago, zeroduke said:

I would be glad to take both of those completely useless and ugly pens off your hands….😂🤤

4 hours ago, Carguy said:

I would be glad to take both of those completely useless and ugly pens off your hands….😂🤤

But... I don't hate them!

Think Different

1 Duofold MK3 ACE black and pearl

2 Duofold MK2 FLAG black and pearl

3 Duofold MK1 ARROW black and pearl

4 Duofold MK3 CHECK SERIES

5 OTHER Modern Duofold

On 6/28/2021 at 9:44 AM, PithyProlix said:

Yesterday i got a nearly mint parker 180 on green malachite for 45$ and it will replace the parker 50 on my list.

I really think it's and very underrated pen and I can't see why people chooses the p50 over it.

I know ,this is very personal but, besides being too thin , its a beautiful pen , its comfortable (I was really surprised by this) and a really good writer.

Besides being a bit thinner than the p50 I think it surpasses it on every other aspect, at least on my pens... it even looks cooler to me.

Now, I only need it to post properly, for some reason the cap won't click on the barrel, but that's another story...

1 hour ago, agentbug said:

1 Duofold MK3 ACE black and pearl

2 Duofold MK2 FLAG black and pearl

3 Duofold MK1 ARROW black and pearl

4 Duofold MK3 CHECK SERIES

5 OTHER Modern Duofold

Thanks, Agentbug. 

1-5. Duofold list looks impressive ;) 

From personal experience...

1. "51" aerometric (my daily carry...far and away the most practical, reliable pen I've used)

2. Vacumatic top-line lockdown fillers (for their style and beauty and how sophisticated you feel writing with one)

3. early 75s with the aluminum nib orientation ring (for their inimitable grip section which I love, their hunkered-down balance, and the pleasing click of their snap-caps)

after that are models I don't really like using all that much...

4. flat-top Duofolds (not my thing because I don't like their sections, nibs, or flat tops, even though I know all those features are thoroughly charming)

5. Sonnet (even more not my thing, although the long section is sort of nice)

I've always wanted to try a Parker 105...those look amazing. 

28 minutes ago, ele said:

From personal experience...

1. "51" aerometric (my daily carry...far and away the most practical, reliable pen I've used)

2. Vacumatic top-line lockdown fillers (for their style and beauty and how sophisticated you feel writing with one)

3. early 75s with the aluminum nib orientation ring (for their inimitable grip section which I love, their hunkered-down balance, and the pleasing click of their snap-caps)

after that are models I don't really like using all that much...

4. flat-top Duofolds (not my thing because I don't like their sections, nibs, or flat tops, even though I know all those features are thoroughly charming)

5. Sonnet (even more not my thing, although the long section is sort of nice)

I've always wanted to try a Parker 105...those look amazing. 

Thank you, Ele :) 

I especially like your comment on P75 - my favourite one is 1965 US-made Sterling Cisele with flat tassies, too. 

• 1 month later...

Nothing is cast in stone :)

There is my revised list: 

1. Parker 51 Aero (mid/late-50s)

2. Parker 75 (Sterling Cisele or other GP/SP-plated models of late-60s/early-70s)

3. Parker 100

4. Parker 61 (capillary filler)

5. Duofold Centennial Int. (modern)

I have to admit Ellipse dropped in my Parkers ranking very low after using it for a while...

I still like Ellipse unusual look and nice feel but as a writing instrument it is very disappointing :(

I will share more experience on Ellipse under another thread soon..

On 6/27/2021 at 1:16 PM, mitto said:

1) Vintage (1929s - 1930s) Duofolds,

2) Newhaven Duofolds), 

3) Vacumatics

4) 51s (both vacs and aeros) 

5) 75s and Premiers

6) 61s.

7) Depression Era pens

The # 1 should be read as :

"Vintage (1920s - 1930s) Duofolds."

Khan M. Ilyas

75, particularly Ciselé.

Vacumatic, particularly the Silver Pearl.

105, let one go, still kicking myself.

50, have the one; very thin pens.

Old Duofolds seem nice, but never tried one.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

1 hour ago, senzen said:

75, particularly Ciselé.

Vacumatic, particularly the Silver Pearl.

105, let one go, still kicking myself.

50, have the one; very thin pens.

Old Duofolds seem nice, but never tried one.

Thanks, Senzen. 

post-156106-0-66957200-1581887790_thumb.jpgpost-156106-0-98596000-1582596457_thumb.jpgpost-156106-0-55975300-1582596602_thumb.jpgpost-156106-0-10807200-1583921035.jpgpost-156106-0-92864400-1584357143_thumb.jpgMine are a couple of '42 51's and a NOS 21 that I filled for the first time two years ago. 

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

Nice pens…Here are some of my 51’s, tray 1 of 3. I don’t have any super rare ones. Quite a few with Kullock bodies and genuine Parker guts.

A880109F-49CF-4029-A0C4-283AE46CCBD4.jpeg