Your Top 5 Parker Models List?

TheRedBeard

2 hours ago, Bristol24 said:

Hmm... Initially I thought that I didn't have that many different models of Parker pens, but here it goes, in order of personal preference (again like already mentioned, the hooded pens seem preferred because they work best, out in the wild):

Parker "51" Vacumatic (I love the Parker "51" and greatly appreciate the ink capacity of the Vac models).

Parker "51" Aerometric

Parker 45  I have yet to find one with anything other than a smooth writing nib

Parker 21 Super (I have two and love them both)

Parker Vacumatic (I have only the one, a 1946 with factory medium stub nib)

Honorable Mention:

Parker Parkette

Fifth Avenue (This being a "stealth" Parker from the pit of the Great Depression, actually writes OK if properly tweaked).

Cliff

Thank you, Cliff. 

All the best is only beginning now...

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheRedBeard

• Carguy

• Penguincollector

• mitto

Of those I have:

51 Aero (slight preference for a UK nib)

51 Vac

50 Flighter

17 Lady Insignia g/f

Prewar stacked celluloid vac (regular size)

Of course, what I'd like is a T1...

Vintage 51 Aerometric -- 95% of the time all you have to do is just flush them out and they work.

Vintage 51 Vacumatic -- likely to need to have the diaphragm replaced, but if you have to do a LOT of writing they hold huge amounts of ink.

Vintage Vacumatics -- beautiful colors, lovely nibs.

45s -- all of mine write well, and the first one, with the right ink in it, is like dancing on ice across the page.

Vectors -- cheap, fun, lots of designs and colors; most of mine are UK-production.  My first "good" pen was a Vector and it's a little workhorse.

Honorable mentions:

Laidtone Duofolds and Duovacs -- again, pretty colors for some of them (I have both button filler and vac-filler models).

Parker 75s -- I only have the one, a sterling Ciselé with a B nib, but after seeing one at an estate sale a few years ago I understand why it's some peoples' favorite Parker.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#1) Vaccumatic (Major or larger)

#2) 51 (Aerometric preferred)

#3) Premier (the modern one, not the 75 variant)

#4) Sonnet 

#5) Original Duofold

- I've never owned or written with a 75.  It's next on my list. 

- My 18k solid gold rhodium-plated nib Sonnet is spectacular.  I can't say so much for my steel nib model.   

- The original Duofold has issues, yes.  But it's like owning a classic car; things will go wrong, but it's a job to drive.  

Owner of many fine Parker fountain pens... and one Lamy.

1 hour ago, mizgeorge said:

Of those I have:

51 Aero (slight preference for a UK nib)

51 Vac

50 Flighter

17 Lady Insignia g/f

Prewar stacked celluloid vac (regular size)

Of course, what I'd like is a T1...

Thank you, Mizgeorge. 

Good to see someone mentioning T1. 

1 hour ago, inkstainedruth said:

Vintage 51 Aerometric -- 95% of the time all you have to do is just flush them out and they work.

Vintage 51 Vacumatic -- likely to need to have the diaphragm replaced, but if you have to do a LOT of writing they hold huge amounts of ink.

Vintage Vacumatics -- beautiful colors, lovely nibs.

45s -- all of mine write well, and the first one, with the right ink in it, is like dancing on ice across the page.

Vectors -- cheap, fun, lots of designs and colors; most of mine are UK-production.  My first "good" pen was a Vector and it's a little workhorse.

Honorable mentions:

Laidtone Duofolds and Duovacs -- again, pretty colors for some of them (I have both button filler and vac-filler models).

Parker 75s -- I only have the one, a sterling Ciselé with a B nib, but after seeing one at an estate sale a few years ago I understand why it's some peoples' favorite Parker.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Ruth, thank you for your detailed opinion :) 

1 hour ago, ParkersAndPaper said:

#1) Vaccumatic (Major or larger)

#2) 51 (Aerometric preferred)

#3) Premier (the modern one, not the 75 variant)

#4) Sonnet 

#5) Original Duofold

- I've never owned or written with a 75.  It's next on my list. 

- My 18k solid gold rhodium-plated nib Sonnet is spectacular.  I can't say so much for my steel nib model.   

- The original Duofold has issues, yes.  But it's like owning a classic car; things will go wrong, but it's a job to drive.  

Thank you, ParkersanPpaper :) 

I have no doubts you will have your list revised once you start using P75... 

While I prefer thicker and heavier pens, nevertheless, it is P75 that is one of my daily pens :) 

2 hours ago, TheRedBeard said:

Thank you, Cliff. 

So, comments in this thread regarding Parkers made in England and the mention of 18k nibs got me to thinking about my smoothest writing Parker 45 which has a wonderful nib and is marked, "Made in England" on the cap. Would it have an 18k nib instead of 14k?

Cliff

“The only thing most people do better than anyone else is read their own handwriting.”  John Adams

9 minutes ago, Bristol24 said:

So, comments in this thread regarding Parkers made in England and the mention of 18k nibs got me to thinking about my smoothest writing Parker 45 which has a wonderful nib and is marked, "Made in England" on the cap. Would it have an 18k nib instead of 14k?

Cliff

My two daily pens (England-made P51 and P75 with a US nib) both have 14kt nibs, and they are excellent writers. 

My Parker Ellipse has a 18kt nib, but, frankly, I can't say it makes it a better writer than my above P51 and P75 :) 

29 minutes ago, Bristol24 said:

Cliff

You'd be more likely to see 18k nibs on French models, where it's the standard rather than 14k, which is the norm for British pens (though some 18k versions are produced). 

The list is based on the Parker fountain pens I own or tried only.

1. Duofold Greenwich

2. 75 Cisele

3. 50 Falcon Flighter

4. 180 Thuya Lacquer

5. 61 Insignia (Capillary System)

Think Different

My list:

1. Parker 51 aerometric. One of the Best writers I have

2. Parker 45 TX. Argentine model with Transition 61 clip and gold nib. It's amazing what a clip change and an epoxy finish can do.

3. Parker 61 flighter aerometric. I like this one much more than the capillar one, more reliable filling system and and better quality 

4. Parker 75

5. Parker 50 matte brown

1. Parker "51" aero

2. Parker 75 Cisele

3. Parker Duofold Centennial Pearl and Black

4. Parker UK Duofold

5. Parker Premier (modern)

Tough on 45 and Sonnet.

61 Flighter converter filled

75 Cisele

Duofold Centennial Orange from the 90's

Vacumatic Maxima 

51 Flighter 

I hope more Parkers will be coming in the future.

I actually only have 45s, 51s, and 61s and haven't tried other Parkers. I'm interested in the 65 and 75 next but I am holding off on those for now (I am not a collector and, right now, I have too many other good pens).

1. Parker 61 (capillary preferred with the caveat of trying to find an ink I really, really like in the pen and keep refilling with the same)
  2. Parker 51 aerometric
  3. Parker 51 Special
  4. Parker 45

I prefer XF nibs for my normal writing (cursive) - I haven't been able to find a stub/italic here yet but interested. Also prefer the more understated look of plastic barreled pens over flighters.

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

12 hours ago, zeroduke said:

The list is based on the Parker fountain pens I own or tried only.

1. Duofold Greenwich

2. 75 Cisele

3. 50 Falcon Flighter

4. 180 Thuya Lacquer

5. 61 Insignia (Capillary System)

Thank you, Zeroduke. 

It is a first time we do not see P51 on the list :) 

12 hours ago, gwid said:

My list:

1. Parker 51 aerometric. One of the Best writers I have

2. Parker 45 TX. Argentine model with Transition 61 clip and gold nib. It's amazing what a clip change and an epoxy finish can do.

3. Parker 61 flighter aerometric. I like this one much more than the capillar one, more reliable filling system and and better quality 

4. Parker 75

5. Parker 50 matte brown

Gwid, thanks :) 

5 hours ago, vicpen123 said:

1. Parker "51" aero

2. Parker 75 Cisele

3. Parker Duofold Centennial Pearl and Black

4. Parker UK Duofold

5. Parker Premier (modern)

Tough on 45 and Sonnet.

Thank you, Vicpen 123 :) 

3 hours ago, jchch1950 said:

61 Flighter converter filled

75 Cisele

Duofold Centennial Orange from the 90's

Vacumatic Maxima 

51 Flighter 

I hope more Parkers will be coming in the future.

Thank  you, Jchch1950.

Please, let us know if your list is changed in the future :) 

2 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

I actually only have 45s, 51s, and 61s and haven't tried other Parkers. I'm interested in the 65 and 75 next but I am holding off on those for now (I am not a collector and, right now, I have too many other good pens).

1. Parker 61 (capillary preferred with the caveat of trying to find an ink I really, really like in the pen and keep refilling with the same)
  2. Parker 51 aerometric
  3. Parker 51 Special
  4. Parker 45

I prefer XF nibs for my normal writing (cursive) - I haven't been able to find a stub/italic here yet but interested. Also prefer the more understated look of plastic barreled pens over flighters.

Thank you, Pithy Prolix :) 

I think it is quite natural that one's opinion changes over years as we try more pens :)