New "Scribo Fountain Pen" ?? Anyone used them?

strshooter

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has purchased a new Scribo fountain pen, and whether they are worth the price?  I've only found them (so far) for sale one place out of Little Rock AR.  They also have bottled inks made by Scribo ~ which I like, and was curious if this company makes a pen which warrants the $$$ steep entry fee.  I did watch a review by sbrebrown on YouTube, from about 1 1/2 years ago.  

Love the ink, just want an opinion or three about the fountain pens. 

My understanding is when OMAS folded, some folks from there started up with Scribo.  Could be just internet gossip.  Thanks

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mge01park

• strshooter

• Frank C

• Christopher Godfrey

I think they are worth the price (but then I would have to ask, compared to what?).  I have a Scribo Feel Fiorita with a flexible EF nib and think it's fabulous:  though it looks as if it should be delicate, it is beautifully built and feels resilient.  I don't think it's as aesthetically appealing as either of my Omases, but I love writing with it.

Others like them too.  See https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/342431-scribo-feel/?tab=comments#comment-4149213 and https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/360505-scribo-piuma-first-impressions/?tab=comments#comment-4435127 .

the story is exactly as you mention, some of the folks at Omas started up a new pen company, Scribo.

It also seems they have the machinery that made the Omas nibs, which is why their nibs are pretty good... and in general they have retained  the manufacturing skills, while other parties have taken the Omas celluloid stocks...

So far I have not liked their aesthetics, I'm not fond of step downs, but many who have tried their pens says they are very nice writers.

I bought a Scribo Feel last year and I love it. Mine is the light grey spaghetti resin with ruthenium trim. The pen has an interesting design (to me), is well made, and the nib is is a very smooth writer (mine is a fine flex).  I bought mine through Appelboom in the Netherlands, using the SBE Brown 10% discount code of “friend” and thought the price very reasonable for a hand-made pen such as this. (as an aside, I often buy pens from Appelboom — their customer service is top-notch, they’ll tune the nib for free before sending, shipment is fast and insured, and their prices are often lower than here in the US). All in all I’ve been very pleased with the quality and writing experience.  I’ve also tried a couple of the inks and like those too — nice and wet!

A few Scribo Feels have come to my house. I have the EF Flex, Fine Flex, and BBB nibs. Vanness Pens in Arkansas and Goldspot in New Jersey stock them. I have purchased Scribo ink from each company—each is well-known for great customer service. I met Lisa Vanness at a pen show several years ago. She is incredibly nice and goes above and beyond to provide great customer service. I purchased the BBB pen from her. It is a firehose of a pen; the ink just flows. The flex nibs are very reminiscent of the old Omas nibs; after all, they are made on the same machines. Scritturia Bolognese, the parent company, sent the Omas machinery to Bock in Germany to make the nibs. Bock makes nibs for many pen companies. They are considered to be a top-tier nib producer. 

People complain about the price of Scribo pens. They are priced the same as Omas was charging for its acrylic pens at the time of its demise. 

I have not purchased a Piuma, yet. They are similar pens that use a cartridge or converter. They are slightly smaller than the Feel pens, but are still big pens. I believe that they use the same nibs. 

I understand that the Scribo ink is made by the same company that made Omas ink. As such, it is good, reliable ink. I especially like the bottles. They are attractive and functional. They are also made to stack.

Worth the price? I don't know. I read somewhere on FPN that one has to spend $200 to $300 USD to get a really nice pen. Anything more than that and you're paying for extras. I happen to like the extras. 

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Thanks to everyone who responded so quickly to my inquiry.  🙂  I'm still thinking on this manufacturer for a new pen, but I do like their inks for sure.   🙂 🙂 

• 3 weeks later...

...and I wonder, now, if there is anyone here who can comment on or compare the performance of these pens (either model) with other Italians such as Santini who also offer a flex nib?  Or even compare with the ASCs?

I have an modern Omas Extra-flessibile nib and am not happy with it!  These Omas nibs in no way compare with proper vintage Omas ones (little-to-no spring-back -- thus what I term "flaccid")

1 hour ago, Christopher Godfrey said:

...and I wonder, now, if there is anyone here who can comment on or compare the performance of these pens (either model) with other Italians such as Santini who also offer a flex nib?  Or even compare with the ASCs?

I have an modern Omas Extra-flessibile nib and am not happy with it!  These Omas nibs in no way compare with proper vintage Omas ones (little-to-no spring-back -- thus what I term "flaccid")

I have not tried those other brands you mentioned. I do have an Omas Extra Flessible nib. The Scribos are very similar. If you don't like the extra flessible nib, you probably won't like the Scribos either. Scribo purchased the Omas nib-making machinery and sent it to Bock in Germany to make the nibs. As such, it is essentially the same nib. If you want a modern pen with spring-back, I would suggest the Montblanc Calligraphy 149. 

@fpupulin, the master of the 149 Calligraphy pen, said the following: on September 30, 2020

In these two handwritten pages on a simple lined Moleskine notebook (of the sewed type, sold in sets of 3), I wanted to compare the flexible nib of the Montblanc 149 Calligaphy with the calligraphic nib of another of my fountain pens. To make the test more challenging, I did not choose any calligraphic nib, but my best example: an extra-fine 14K Omas Extra nib (much rarer than the fine size tip) with heart vent (the best), mounted on a Gentlemen pen that I bought new a few years ago. The whole was produced in 19657.

Beside, or below, each of the writings I have noted with which nib it was performed (even the name of the pen is written with its same nib).

The last notes, on three lines, are written quickly, to evaluate the effect of the nib when used in a "non-calligraphic" way.

fpn_1601498719__due_pagine_a_confronto.j

To truly expert eyes, it will appear that the OMAS Extra nib still has a slight margin, because the tip is very sharp, very pointed. But, in the practical test, I would say that the Calligraphy nib holds up against my best vintage calligraphy nib, to the point of being almost indistinguishable.

My work here is done...

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

@Frank 😄 Frank, thank you for your response.  I have to admit something: already been there and done that!  (The MB Calligraphy, that is...)  I simply thought to go further down the contemporary Italian road...I should restrain myself, of course...!  😄  (There are always more vintage Pelikans after which to lust, for instance...!!)  (BTW: The modern Aurora flex nib is a nice one -- got one of those, too) 

On 7/20/2021 at 8:49 AM, Christopher Godfrey said:

@Frank 😄 Frank, thank you for your response.  I have to admit something: already been there and done that!  (The MB Calligraphy, that is...)  I simply thought to go further down the contemporary Italian road...I should restrain myself, of course...!  😄  (There are always more vintage Pelikans after which to lust, for instance...!!)  (BTW: The modern Aurora flex nib is a nice one -- got one of those, too) 

I took my Scribos, a 14kt EF and a 14kt F along with my Calligraphy 149 to my local MB boutique one day. There are several people there who are quite skilled at writing with fountain pens. 3/3 preferred the Scribo 14kt fine to the other pens. 

I believe that the Scribos are easier to use to get some line variation than the MB Calligraphy. With practice, the MB is probably the preferred pen. My own preference: I like them all. 

• 2 months later...

I ordered two bottles of Scribo ink a few weeks ago with the assurance they were in stock and would ship promptly. I haven’t received them and I can’t get any answers from them, although, when I was inquiring to buy the ink the responses were fairly immediate. I’m annoyed and filed a credit card dispute. First time for everything I guess. Any other places to find the ink. It seems impossible? 

Edited by mge01park

Here you go: 

https://www.stiloestile.it/en/101-bottled-inks/s-3/brand-scribo

free shipping worldwide for orders over €69,00

Above all, nice people and first class service.

https://appelboom.com/fr/ink-refills-12/bouteilles-d-encre/scribo-2/

Excellent prices and service too.

I own a Giallo Cannella. The bottles are gargantuan.

Sorry.....I forgot to mention that I'm looking for the arancio and grigio and a thank you on the response. Stilo does carry them but they have neither color in stock. 

mge01park; Where did you order the Scribo ink from?  In the US, I ordered some from Vanness1938 out of Little Rock AR.  $35.00 USD a 90ml  bottle.  Just checked, out of stock on 5 out of 12, but that leaves a few still... .  My order from Vanness1938 came pretty quickly.  🙂

Ordered from  Appelboom. I never received the ink, they won’t reply at all and the credit card company HSBC is dragging their feet on the dispute I filed. Vanness is a great seller they don’t have the colors that I want which are the Arancio and Grigio. 

Sorry to hear that.  I've not purchased from Appelboom yet, but I'd "heard" so to speak that they were excellent to work with.  I don't know how long you've been waiting, but I ordered an item from Australia a year ago, and it got held up at customs in San Francisco for about 1 month and 1/2.  It wasn't a liquid, just some jewelry... .  I'm not saying that's the cause, but the mail at least in the USA has been for me up and down.  Bills mailed to in-town lost, across the country, some items taking 2-3 weeks, where other items taking 3-4 days!  Look, I don't know your situation, but I hope you can get it sorted out.  Best wishes.  {I see that you mentioned you've tried to contact Appelboom, but no reply.  I sent an e-mail to Appelboom commenting on their YouTube "Top 3 Pens" series, and yes, it was a positive comment.  I got a reply from Joost very quickly.  I wasn't even expecting a reply.   I'll leave the e-mail address I got from the Appelboom YouTube site, but I imagine you've already tried that contact address}

info@appelboom.com

i am surpised, i am a regular shopper at appelbooms - their team has excellent customer service.  how about trying their new USA Number?  +1 617 482 9053

I have no doubt that they might be a decent company which is why ordered to begin with. 
My experience didn’t work out based upon the order I placed and the terms and conditions and the follow up queries. No complaints. Details are above. I buy a lot of stuff from many vendors. I have filed a dispute with my credit card company. I'm quite dissatisfied!