Kaweco Sport

Carloa

3 hours ago, Carloa said:

@halffriedchicken
A farmer had a horse. One day the horse was gone. Just run away. Then the villagers came and pitied the farmer: 'You poor man! Your only horse! How will you cultivate your fields now? How will you feed your family?
The farmer, however, only cradled his head and said, 'Is it good, is it bad: one does not know.'

After a week, the horse comes back, bringing two others with it. Then the villagers come and congratulate the farmer: 'You lucky man! Three horses! What wealth! Now you can cultivate the fields three times!'
Again the farmer says: 'Is it good, is it bad: one does not know.'

While breaking in the new horses, the son falls down, breaks his foot and is henceforth lame and cannot work properly. Again the villagers come and lament the farmer: 'Poor you! Your only son! Who is going to do the work for you now? Who will take care of the farm? How will you survive with a cripple?'
And again the farmer: 'Is it good, is it bad: one does not know.'

That's when a war breaks out. All the sons of the village have to go to war. Only the farmer's son, because lame, stays behind. And again the villagers come: 'You lucky one! Our sons have been taken from us and none of them will return! Only you have kept yours! Only you lucky one have the comfort of your child in old age!'
And again the farmer says: ....

I have not read these philosophers but as far as I understand solipsism, a solipsist accepts only the perception of self and about everything else a solipsist is an agnostic or a skeptic. Wouldn't these stories then be to a solipsist nothing more than what you get out of it, the only objective reality in the subjective one? "I think therefore I am" would instead be "I am what I perceive," so life is what you make of it.

I heard the story about the horse before and perhaps the old farmer was right from the beginning. "Is it good, is it bad: one does not know." The one thing the farmer knew was that one did not know. The rest of the story confirms not knowing is what the farmer knew. The farmer is correct.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• halffriedchicken

• ethernautrix

• Carloa

• david-p

18 hours ago, halffriedchicken said:

...[N]o one would get upset at my comments since they would be getting upset at a chicken that was fried in half.

Hahaha! ToasterPastry (who used to be active here years ago) had the same reasoning for his username, which he used first for online games. Imagine losing to ToasterPastry. Hahaha.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

2 hours ago, ethernautrix said:

Hahaha! ToasterPastry (who used to be active here years ago) had the same reasoning for his username, which he used first for online games. Imagine losing to ToasterPastry. Hahaha.

Hahah! We would probably get along well. It's interesting that the name is "ToasterPastry." It's not even a fresh pastry that you can buy from a bakery but only a pastry that must be heated in a toaster. 

Is there a meaning or story behind your screen name? 

On 7/15/2021 at 12:47 AM, halffriedchicken said:

Is there a meaning or story behind your screen name? 

About 20 years ago when I started writing a blog, I thought ethernaut was a cool name, like astronaut but the ether! By which I meant to imply the Internet! Someone had already claimed that name, but ethernautrix was available. So, an explorer of the Internet in stiletto ankle books, fishnet stockings, and shiny PVC bustier was born! 

Hahahahaha -- kidding. I mean, I could have rocked that look 20 years ago, but, um... not my personality. I can be bossy, but always reluctantly and as a last resort.

I'm laughing about it now, but if only I'd had the ovaries to invent the persona along with the name... huh. Missed opportunity. Could have been interesting. 

etherX in To Miasto

For that look to work, you would have had to use leatherbound. 

Paperback just could not keep up...

Hahaha what a combination! To be honest, ethernautrix sounds better than ethernaut.

Honestly, I feel like the name would work well for a comic book character. I looked up the word ether and saw this an old definition, "a very rarefied and highly elastic substance formerly believed to permeate all space, including the interstices between the particles of matter, and to be the medium whose vibrations constituted light and other electromagnetic radiation." Perhaps your alter ego can create portals to navigate throughout the universe and travel in light and radiation. It seems the costume has already been designed. :)

interesting. I like the Kaweco sport too, but its a little bit love hate. On one hand, the size and weight of the brass sport is very nice, and brass just looks good in general, but filling is a pain. After no success with a cartridge or a converter (both fell out in the barrel) i managed to fix the issue with a modified long cartridge, but I shouldn't really have to do that. Regardless, it does its job, and well, and if i ever felt inclined (heh) to take a fountain pen on a hike, then that would be the one I take. Its a shame about the pencil, but i guess things happen, and that isn't going to happen to your brass version anytime soon. 

On 7/17/2021 at 6:34 AM, halffriedchicken said:

Perhaps your alter ego can create portals to navigate throughout the universe and travel in light and radiation. It seems the costume has already been designed.

Hahaha! My alter ego is even lazier than I am. She's all, *click*, skim, note links, *click* and on and on until it's panic time. 

As for Kaweco, I love the look of the AL Sport stonewashed blue denim so much that I bought one. Ditto a Special. But... neither makes the EDC cut. Nor does the cute Liliput. *Sigh*

Probably a Pilot nib on 'em would make all the difference. 

etherX in To Miasto

1 hour ago, ethernautrix said:

Hahaha! My alter ego is even lazier than I am. She's all, *click*, skim, note links, *click* and on and on until it's panic time. 

I think this is probably true of everyone’s alter ego 😅. If not kept in check, laziness will win. For me, this pandemic has helped me realize that sweatpants are like daytime pajamas and I now wear them every day.

For the Kawecos, do you not like the nibs? I have only one Kaweco, a blue ice sport. Mine was struggling with baby bottom so I followed a video by SBRE Brown and smoothed it out with micro mesh pads since I had a set from before. It wasn’t difficult to do and now the pen writes smoothly. I started with a courser grit until the pen would begin flowing freely. After that you move up to the smoother grits and basically polish the nib to the smoothness that you like. I also do this with other pens using one of my wife’s nail buffing pads because I realized that the smooth buffing side is basically a very fine micro mesh pad so that will work too if you have one of those. You just don’t have as many grades in between like with a micro mesh pad set to have a very fine smoothness.

For me I didn’t like the small ink capacity on my Kaweco so that was why it wasn’t part of my regular rotation at first. I tried it as an eye dropper but I don’t like the burping problem of an eye dropper. So I sanded down and trimmed a Pilot ink cartridge to fit the Kaweco sport section and now the pen holds a good amount of ink and it is a regular part of my rotation.

3 hours ago, halffriedchicken said:

For the Kawecos, do you not like the nibs?

Actually, I do like the nibs. The EF on the Special was especially extra-fine, until ... *tink* something must have cleared and... there was greater ink flow? And a less fine EF. Still a good nib, though. I'd just really liked that EF better before whatever happened happened.

I think maybe it's the metal. And maybe the AL Sport's cap is... too long for uncapping? Or maybe it was just my mood that day and if I hadn't cleaned it and put it away I'd be happy scribbling away with it lately.

I went against habit and ordered an M nib, which I'll try in the Special. I figured if I don't care for the M, I could (one of these days) have it ground to a stub F or stub EF. Or needlepoint. The suspense!

Yeah, I have a few nail buffers (hides hands) bought just to tweak nibs. Plus some micromesh and a small ceramic stone. And a glass nail file. All for the nibs!

Pilot nibs, though, are my favorites; the PO nib my favorite favorite.

I just really like the look of the Kaweco AL Sport. And the Special. The Liliput is just too small. If I'm going to use a pen to jot down a quick note, I prefer to use a clicky-click gel pen.

Nice cartridge hack! Props!

etherX in To Miasto

23 minutes ago, ethernautrix said:

Actually, I do like the nibs. The EF on the Special was especially extra-fine, until ... *tink* something must have cleared and... there was greater ink flow? And a less fine EF. Still a good nib, though. I'd just really liked that EF better before whatever happened happened.

I think maybe it's the metal. And maybe the AL Sport's cap is... too long for uncapping? Or maybe it was just my mood that day and if I hadn't cleaned it and put it away I'd be happy scribbling away with it lately.

I went against habit and ordered an M nib, which I'll try in the Special. I figured if I don't care for the M, I could (one of these days) have it ground to a stub F or stub EF. Or needlepoint. The suspense!

Yeah, I have a few nail buffers (hides hands) bought just to tweak nibs. Plus some micromesh and a small ceramic stone. And a glass nail file. All for the nibs!

I just really like the look of the Kaweco AL Sport. And the Special. The Liliput is just too small. If I'm going to use a pen to jot down a quick note, I prefer to use a clicky-click gel pen.

I also:

• Really like the look of the Sport
  • Had a nib (fine) that was dry for years and then suddenly changed.  Now it writes a broad line.
  • Wish one could fit nibs from another source into the Sport

7 hours ago, ethernautrix said:

That's interesting that the flow changed for you and @ENewton. That's never happened to me before, but maybe it has and I just haven't noticed. Hopefully the next time you ink up the pen it'll be a good day to write, using a different ink on a different page, and you'll enjoy the nib again :) 

Waiting for a pen in the mail can be exciting! Hopefully your pen comes in the mail soon. Sometimes for me waiting too long impacts my first impression of a pen and a pen that arrives earlier than expected is a nice surprise. 

I never thought about using a glass nail file to smooth a nib! Would you recommend trying that? Now that I think about it, I remember seeing a video where a Nakaya nib meister was using stones to smooth out their nibs. I couldn't tell from the video what stones he was using but I was wondering if it was an Arkansas stone or something like that. I would imagine their nibs have feedback because of the stones but I never wrote with a Nakaya so I have no experience writing with them.  

What is a Pilot PO nib? I've never heard of that before. Personally, I like all my Pilot pens too. If I had to choose I would say Pilot is my favorite fountain pen brand overall, including the inks.

1 hour ago, halffriedchicken said:

Waiting for a pen in the mail can be exciting!

I'm so over that. Hahaha. Years of experience and of appreciating the wait has made me jaded.

Orrrrr.... No, don't arrive too quickly! I've finally reduced my EDC pens to TWO, and the arrival of the M nib (just the nib, not another pen, some ineffable force have mercy!) will f-- mess with me!

I never thought about using a glass nail file to smooth a nib

It's a rougher surface, so 1) make sure you have plenty of tipping, 2) know when to stop, and 3) use a much finer, smoother surface for "polishing."

What is a Pilot PO nib? I've never heard of that before. Personally, I like all my Pilot pens too. If I had to choose I would say Pilot is my favorite fountain pen brand overall, including the inks.

The POsting nib was developed to write on cheap, grainy postcards. It's my favorite cos 1) super fine lines and 2) flip the nib for faux fude versatility!

I hate to say that Pilot is my favorite brand, cos the pens themselves aren't Nakaya Piccolos in tamenuri urushi. But the nibs.... The nibs! They are my favorite.

I discovered that my Piccolo's EF nib, which also recently started writing a slightly thicker line (maybe it's the paper?), writes a superb extra extra-fine line in reverse. Which is necessary as I cram just a few more words onto the pocket-size Hobonichi page-per-day planner/diary on some days. (On a few others, having to tape an extra page in.) (I'm going to force the pocket-size Hobonichi to work!)

Noodler's Bulletproof Black is my everyday ink. I have three 4.5-oz bottles, somehow. I don't consider myself a stockpiler, but there it is.

etherX in To Miasto

On 7/22/2021 at 2:45 AM, ethernautrix said:

I'm so over that. Hahaha. Years of experience and of appreciating the wait has made me jaded.

Orrrrr.... No, don't arrive too quickly! I've finally reduced my EDC pens to TWO, and the arrival of the M nib (just the nib, not another pen, some ineffable force have mercy!) will f-- mess with me!

It's a rougher surface, so 1) make sure you have plenty of tipping, 2) know when to stop, and 3) use a much finer, smoother surface for "polishing."

The POsting nib was developed to write on cheap, grainy postcards. It's my favorite cos 1) super fine lines and 2) flip the nib for faux fude versatility!

I hate to say that Pilot is my favorite brand, cos the pens themselves aren't Nakaya Piccolos in tamenuri urushi. But the nibs.... The nibs! They are my favorite.

I discovered that my Piccolo's EF nib, which also recently started writing a slightly thicker line (maybe it's the paper?), writes a superb extra extra-fine line in reverse. Which is necessary as I cram just a few more words onto the pocket-size Hobonichi page-per-day planner/diary on some days. (On a few others, having to tape an extra page in.) (I'm going to force the pocket-size Hobonichi to work!)

Noodler's Bulletproof Black is my everyday ink. I have three 4.5-oz bottles, somehow. I don't consider myself a stockpiler, but there it is.

I can definite understand the jaded part. Sometimes waiting for a package is unbearable. I have a few international orders right now that I am waiting for and I must check several times a day to see if there are any updates. But no. One order has been sitting in the same location for 2 weeks. It's expected to arrive starting next week but I'm doubting that will be on time. I don't think I ever wanted a package to come later so maybe I'm not as jaded as I thought :D 

The posting nib sounds very interesting! It makes sense that such a nib would be designed to write on poor paper. I have a few pens with gold nibs but my guess is that most people on this forum would not consider them high end pens. So I don't have any specialty nibs and I guess that's why I haven't really looked into the nuances in nib grinds that are out there. A posting nib does sound interesting though and I can guess why it's your favorite. I also use fountain pens to draw and not just write so I have a pen that is able to use certain dip pen nibs, Zebra G, Tachikawa G, and Nikko G nibs. They all write with an incredibly thin line that can tear into your paper if you use it casually. Recently I have been looking into italic nibs because I started practicing calligraphy with a broad edge. It's very enjoyable but also challenging.

I like Noodler's inks too. Strangely enough I never got their black ink! I use X-feather for black because I usually write on poorer quality papers. I also really like Noodler's inks and pens a lot too. I think 54th Mass is one of my favorite from Noodler's. I like using their pens but not their nibs. I generally use different nibs that I salvaged from broken pens, a Waterman nib, a Parker nib, and I even modified a set of technical drawing pen nibs to fit two Noodler's pens. I know lots of people don't like Noodler's pens but for me they are very versatile and I like to tinker with them.

I would think buying three bottles is very reasonable if that's the only ink you use! These days it's challenging to find local shops that sell fountain pen inks and even if you can find one they may not have the ones you are looking for in stock. I had an art store that closed down near me that used to sell Private Reserve ink so I got a few of those to support them but the inks are not my favorite. Most times I order ink online so I buy larger quantities too. I am seriously thinking of getting a 1 liter bottle of ink. I don't think that's stockpiling if you use it right? Right?...

Do you like the Hobonichi planner? I wonder if there is a system that you could use to add papers? I mainly use an arc notebook that uses a disk system so I can add or remove pages easily. It allows me to use any paper that I have. I also have a binding machine to make my own spiral bound notebooks and sketchbooks.

17 hours ago, halffriedchicken said:

The posting nib sounds very interesting!

It is!

17 hours ago, halffriedchicken said:

Sometimes waiting for a package is unbearable.

Waiting is fun! I'm waiting for a parcel now. It cleared customs three days ago. Every morning, I get to ask, "Will the tracking information change? Will I have to stay home today to receive the package? Will I have to pay duty or VAT or both? How much? Can I use my card?" (I have cash, but Poles really want exact change, and I probably won't have the grosze.) The suspense!

I check tracking -- then forget all about it. Once the package arrives and all the questions are answered, then...I'll have the things! Which will be great! I want the things! But I don't need them now. I will need them, but there's plenty of time between now and then.

Yeah, the three 4.5-oz bottles of Noodler's Black: I was down to less than an ounce, so I panicked and ordered two bottles. Obviously, I was using the ink much faster than I'd realized. Putting the new bottles away, I found the bottle I thought I'd had and had used up. Ha! Score!

I don't use NB exclusively, so a 4.5-oz bottle lasts at least a year. (Also, I'm using gel pens lately, for the scribbling while on long walks - the times when the dog wants to rest, so I'll sit on a bench and maybe jot down notes from the podcast I'm probably listening to.)

But NB is great on poor-quality paper! That's one of the main reasons I use it. I hate feathering. HAAAAATE it. 

I don't like to say that I draw, since I think about it more than I do it. But when I finally do, I prefer NB ink and the PO nib (have I already said this?), cos it can be used in reverse for thicker lines (not necessarily uniform).

18 hours ago, halffriedchicken said:

Do you like the Hobonichi planner? I wonder if there is a system that you could use to add papers?

I do like the Hononichi. But I don't use it as a planner; more as a record. And I have a system. It requires scissors, paper, and tape. Haha.

I used an Arc-type notebook, whoa, so many years ago. This is how long ago it was: I had an IBM Selectric II typewriter. Most of the pages in that notebook were typed. (I also used fountain pens. Back then, most likely a Waterman Laureat.)

I like the challenge of distilling my usual rambly style onto an A6-size page (this explains the reliance on EF and PO nibs). I think I said that I have a commonplace notebook for other notes, but, actually, I filled one up some months ago and haven't gotten around to starting the next one. I have all these loose sheets of paper just... loose. And sometimes I wonder, what is the point? Shred today? Or shred tomorrow? That's what it comes down to, yeah?

But I do like the Hobonichi (previously Moleskine, for other years) for looking up details, usually, When did ________ happen? What was the name of that __________? What does __________ ink look like in __________ pen? Where is that particular "sample?" And so on.

The Arc system, though, makes sense. Huh. (She thinks about the five Tomoe River notebooks soon to be delivered, that, as commonplace notebooks, ought to last a year or three each.)

For other writing (which I'm not doing, also), gotta be the keyboard. I might jot ideas down with pen and ink, but if I'm going to write, the pen is too slow! And there's no backspacing and other advantages.

Apologies to the OP for completely hi-jacking his thread.

etherX in To Miasto

4 hours ago, ethernautrix said:

Waiting is fun!

I am trying to think about it but I don’t know if I ever said this to myself… but you are definitely right there is plenty of time between now and then and no need to be impatient. 

4 hours ago, ethernautrix said:

Yeah, the three 4.5-oz bottles of Noodler's Black: I was down to less than an ounce, so I panicked and ordered two bottles. Obviously, I was using the ink much faster than I'd realized. Putting the new bottles away, I found the bottle I thought I'd had and had used up. Ha! Score!

I don't use NB exclusively, so a 4.5-oz bottle lasts at least a year. (Also, I'm using gel pens lately, for the scribbling while on long walks - the times when the dog wants to rest, so I'll sit on a bench and maybe jot down notes from the podcast I'm probably listening to.)

But NB is great on poor-quality paper! That's one of the main reasons I use it. I hate feathering. HAAAAATE it. 

I don't like to say that I draw, since I think about it more than I do it. But when I finally do, I prefer NB ink and the PO nib (have I already said this?), cos it can be used in reverse for thicker lines (not necessarily uniform).

I guess you really can’t say you’re stockpiling if you almost ran out of ink. That make me nervous just hearing that you only had less than 1oz left… And I have to agree about feathering. That is the worst. I often use inks that work well on poorer paper because I dislike feathering so much. 

I don’t mind using gel pens either or ballpoint pens for that matter depending on what I would use it for. And don’t think about the Arc system. You should use what you like, especially since making what you have work makes you even more creative. 

Personally, one of the advantages of writing with a pen is not having a backspace. It helps me when I just need to write. A keyboard is what I need to edit and go back and forth over one line. I don’t look back when I write with a fountain pen so that’s perfect for me to write things out. 

And I wonder about the OP too. I actually had a question or two about solipsism. I wonder how a solipsist would think about languages, books, or history. How do those two stories the OP introduced intertwine and what was the point of bringing those two together? I am curious about the point that was to be made. Did it matter if they were real or fictional? 

2 hours ago, halffriedchicken said:

I guess you really can’t say you’re stockpiling if you almost ran out of ink.

I thought I was down to less than an ounce. In case I wasn't clear. Unnecessary panic is the best kind of panic. I also have Platinum Carbon Black and Iroshizuku Take-sumi. And Platinum Black cartridges. Plus other colors. 

But NB is my go-to, hands-down favorite. Not a close contest.

one of the advantages of writing with a pen is not having a backspace.

WRONG!

Kidding. 

Tangentially, erasable ink makes me feel a little anxious. As I understand it, heat makes it disappear. So, if I write an important note and leave it thoughtlessly on the table and the sun shines on it... what'll happen? 

But applying cold restores the writing. Sounds very trickstery to me.

Haha.

And I wonder about the OP too. ... Did it matter if they were real or fictional? 

... Interesting.

etherX in To Miasto

On 7/22/2021 at 11:45 AM, ethernautrix said:

Noodler's Bulletproof Black is my everyday ink.

I think I must be dyslexic (I have awful troubles with the names in Dostoyevsky novels): I always read Noodler‘s Black as Doodler‘s Black — perhaps it‘s that also.

David

On 7/9/2021 at 8:24 PM, Carloa said:

I drop at home - Home! - this refill holder falls to the floor. From the desk onto the floor. Zack, I have a crack at the tip! The plastic just broke!
I was so perplexed, I thought I wasn't seeing right; but the cone is cracked on two sides and is only holding in a small area at the back. 

i would suggest getting some thin gauge iron wire (e.g. 0.25 mm such as I use for harpsichord stringing around middle C) and binding it tightly as you did with the sticky tape. (The turns should touch.) When you have something that holds, you can then paint a very thin layer of crazy glue over the wire and if possible get the glue to flow between the turns of the wire.  Do this without gluing your fingers together and let the glue dry overnight. It should stop both the joint and the wire from moving.

David