Kaweco Sport

Carloa

I like these Kawecos. Mainly because they are so short. And light! A sports pen like this weighs 10.8 grams! That's practically nothing! But the brass really packs a punch. I like brass too, but I'm not lugging around 300 grams of pens. Plastic is wonderful! What a material! 
(Of course, plastic is ruining this planet ...)

DSC00717.thumb.JPG.5240055166aa5e0b71d74dd20288a1d1.JPG

Everything there is to say about these Kawecos has already been said. They are original writing instruments and that's why they are shamelessly copied. But I afford the original. 
By the way, it's interesting how many people want to be copies of celebrities and imitate everything from their clothes to their gestures.
(And also by the way, you can also drive yourself crazy with the hunt for the ultimate fountain pen by constantly asking other people for their opinion ...)

I think the original thought needs an original writing instrument. That's nonsense, of course: many famous writers write with mass-produced pencils.
Nevertheless: I don't want to be a copycat, nor do I want to work with imitations.

DSC00837.thumb.JPG.1bed193a19eeebfb44e5c0c3dd427cfa.JPG

I find these Kawecos handy when traveling. Generally for on the road. They're also sturdy. You throw them in your backpack with your notebook and that's it. You don't have to worry about it or take care of it anymore. Nothing is going to break. Overall, a good thing.

DSC01033.thumb.JPG.64a98224a26bc6de3f603fdea89f478f.JPG

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• halffriedchicken

• ethernautrix

• Carloa

• david-p

Nice pictures. And nice opinions.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

On 6/26/2021 at 2:01 AM, Carloa said:

I like these Kawecos. Mainly because they are so short. And light! A sports pen like this weighs 10.8 grams! That's practically nothing! But the brass really packs a punch. I like brass too, but I'm not lugging around 300 grams of pens. Plastic is wonderful! What a material! 
(Of course, plastic is ruining this planet ...)

DSC00717.thumb.JPG.5240055166aa5e0b71d74dd20288a1d1.JPG

Everything there is to say about these Kawecos has already been said. They are original writing instruments and that's why they are shamelessly copied. But I afford the original. 
By the way, it's interesting how many people want to be copies of celebrities and imitate everything from their clothes to their gestures.
(And also by the way, you can also drive yourself crazy with the hunt for the ultimate fountain pen by constantly asking other people for their opinion ...)

I think the original thought needs an original writing instrument. That's nonsense, of course: many famous writers write with mass-produced pencils.
Nevertheless: I don't want to be a copycat, nor do I want to work with imitations.

DSC00837.thumb.JPG.1bed193a19eeebfb44e5c0c3dd427cfa.JPG

I find these Kawecos handy when traveling. Generally for on the road. They're also sturdy. You throw them in your backpack with your notebook and that's it. You don't have to worry about it or take care of it anymore. Nothing is going to break. Overall, a good thing.

DSC01033.thumb.JPG.64a98224a26bc6de3f603fdea89f478f.JPG

Nice pictures, like your new style of review..

Sagar Bhowmick

I love them as well. Great review!

If you type 'instant karma' on youtube, you will get a lot of movies of bad people who are punished by fate. Not sometime, so you don't have to wait for heaven and hell and divine justice, but immediately. 
Personally, I believe that many of these scenes are posed, that is, staged. Otherwise, just to get the amount of these films together, millions of people would have to hold the camera on the right scene at the right moment, so they would have to be able to see into the future, so to speak.

But maybe I'm wrong about that: maybe there are an incredible number of people who want to do something bad to other people, and there's always someone holding their cell phone up to it. (I would be interested to know how many people have been killed with a fountain pen....)

S2100003.thumb.JPG.48f133ed04063590f91dddc6d7bebb01.JPG

Well, I published a rather vacuous post here - see above - about these Kawecos that I've had with me on many of my trips over the years and still have, for the sake of spontaneous travel sketches. 
I have said that these Kawecos are very handy and quite sturdy. 
Never, never, has a Kaweco broken on my travels. And I'm not a hotel traveler. I travel with a mountaineering boot and backpack, and mostly by bike. That's a constant shake. The Kawecos don't mind that at all.

So: the day after this post, I drop at home - Home! - this refill holder falls to the floor. From the desk onto the floor. Zack, I have a crack at the tip! The plastic just broke!
I was so perplexed, I thought I wasn't seeing right; but the cone is cracked on two sides and is only holding in a small area at the back. 

S2100005.thumb.JPG.39821285731c57c1ebd6f0c0b958a7ab.JPG

I unceremoniously wrapped the top with tape. It's not pretty, but it holds and you can use the pen again.
So now I'm wondering, am I dealing with a case of 'instant karma' here, or was this coincidence?
Is posting reviews here even dangerous? Should I not do it?

I mean, such reviews are basically quite superfluous. I don't buy a pen just because someone wrote something about it and thinks it's really, really great or not. I don't have to have what others already have.

So I ask myself: Why does this pen fall to the floor? That's rare anyway. Practically, it never happens. 
(There's the very practical question of why certain things always happen to you, while others never do. Isn't that strange? 
Even with fillers: You have certain likes and certain dislikes, opinions and views, and I ask myself: What's the point?)
I think this fall to the ground: There's a message in it. Things don't just happen. 
On the other hand: I would drive myself crazy if I believed something like that. 
Oh dear, the doubt gnaws!

S2100007.thumb.JPG.11974becc3fce9b16aee652ef3a34280.JPG

6 hours ago, Carloa said:

If you type 'instant karma' on youtube, you will get a lot of movies of bad people who are punished by fate. Not sometime, so you don't have to wait for heaven and hell and divine justice, but immediately. 
Personally, I believe that many of these scenes are posed, that is, staged. Otherwise, just to get the amount of these films together, millions of people would have to hold the camera on the right scene at the right moment, so they would have to be able to see into the future, so to speak.

But maybe I'm wrong about that: maybe there are an incredible number of people who want to do something bad to other people, and there's always someone holding their cell phone up to it. (I would be interested to know how many people have been killed with a fountain pen....)

S2100003.thumb.JPG.48f133ed04063590f91dddc6d7bebb01.JPG

Well, I published a rather vacuous post here - see above - about these Kawecos that I've had with me on many of my trips over the years and still have, for the sake of spontaneous travel sketches. 
I have said that these Kawecos are very handy and quite sturdy. 
Never, never, has a Kaweco broken on my travels. And I'm not a hotel traveler. I travel with a mountaineering boot and backpack, and mostly by bike. That's a constant shake. The Kawecos don't mind that at all.

So: the day after this post, I drop at home - Home! - this refill holder falls to the floor. From the desk onto the floor. Zack, I have a crack at the tip! The plastic just broke!
I was so perplexed, I thought I wasn't seeing right; but the cone is cracked on two sides and is only holding in a small area at the back. 

S2100005.thumb.JPG.39821285731c57c1ebd6f0c0b958a7ab.JPG

I unceremoniously wrapped the top with tape. It's not pretty, but it holds and you can use the pen again.
So now I'm wondering, am I dealing with a case of 'instant karma' here, or was this coincidence?
Is posting reviews here even dangerous? Should I not do it?

I mean, such reviews are basically quite superfluous. I don't buy a pen just because someone wrote something about it and thinks it's really, really great or not. I don't have to have what others already have.

So I ask myself: Why does this pen fall to the floor? That's rare anyway. Practically, it never happens. 
(There's the very practical question of why certain things always happen to you, while others never do. Isn't that strange? 
Even with fillers: You have certain likes and certain dislikes, opinions and views, and I ask myself: What's the point?)
I think this fall to the ground: There's a message in it. Things don't just happen. 
On the other hand: I would drive myself crazy if I believed something like that. 
Oh dear, the doubt gnaws!

S2100007.thumb.JPG.11974becc3fce9b16aee652ef3a34280.JPG

"It's not what happens to you that is important. It's what you do with that experience in your life."

A man named, W. Mitchell spoke those words and wrote about his experiences resulting from a motorcycle accident that burned more than 65% of his body.

I have more to say along that route and the above is most of the essence.

Just my two cents worth....

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Sorry to hear about your clutch pencil. Do you plan to replace it, repair it, or use it as is? I would think an epoxy glue and some light sanding should do the job.

BTW,  I really enjoyed the original photographs and scenes. Did you use film? The second and third images have that nostalgic character to them. 

Long ago, in a different life, my then-husband complained about having a cold. "Why did I get sick?" he blurted rhetorically from bed in the middle of the day.

"Because you're a bad driver," I blurted back.

I can hear his hearty laughter now.

No, but seriously, regardless of my silly remark, I felt that he invented road rage. Obviously, he caught the cold from germs, which is how that works.

I hate dropping my pens. I've dropped my Moonman C2 on its cap a couple of times and now there are cracks in it. I wrapped washi tape around it. This pen houses my favorite nib, a Pilot #10 PO, so I should be more careful (and I believe I'm always careful, but...evidence to the contrary exists!).

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

@Gloucesterman: This is not just 'two cents'! This is the history of the perception of mankind. This one starts with Xenophanes and goes through Epictetus and Marcus Aurelius to the Stoics and quite modern: To constructivism: If I am my own perception, and who else should be, then the other is nothing else than myself. But often we take the other for another and kill him because we subordinate his perception to ours. What a topic!

DSC00851.thumb.jpg.242d073b4c2b3bbc2464788f9664da90.jpg

@halffriedchicken: I'm no expert on gluing, but I'll google 'epoxy' right now! Merci. The photos are taken with a digital camera, but via adapter with old analog lenses. Here's a photo, you can see how much and how much people like to write:

DSC01010.thumb.JPG.c312d1fc886a847d3a39e8b187edc1da.JPG

@ethernautrix: This question has occupied mankind since the beginning: why does what happens happen and why to me and why not to others? Entire religions have arisen over this question. And what else is modern science, than the effort to be able to produce an event as one would like it to be? And isn't literature - and this brings us back to writing and thus to fountain pens - also the desperate attempt to make the world, which one does not understand, explainable?

IMG_3942.thumb.JPG.f6767119a1d55e80117e930727f35509.JPG

@Carloa @ethernautrix Here is a link that might be helpful for fixing cracked/broken pens with super glue if you’re willing to give it a try. 

About photography, I actually do the same thing and use m42 lenses with an adapter on a Canon DSLR body. I enjoy these older lenses and the character they add to a photo.

What lens are you using?

S2140001.thumb.JPG.60b524b5d7afa08f25d25f0e9506f4ea.JPG

It was a very bad idea to wrap the tip with tape. After I removed the tape, I first wanted to rub off the glue with kitchen towels. 
But that didn't work at all. 
Then I used dishwashing liquid. Without effect. 
Then even - forbidden - alcohol. 
That only smeared everything even more. 
Finally Ballistol, an alkaline oil, helped.

S2140003.thumb.JPG.279073b22ad9742c1f386b02bd8a74ea.JPG

Now the thing is, you can't disassemble this Kaweco. It is somehow pressed together.
But you would have to: because of the spring inside, the holding mechanism of the refill is always under tension and the chipped part is constantly spread away. 
If you want to glue it, you have to make sure that no glue runs into the inside and you have to build two holders at once: One that holds the lead holder under tension on the outside and one that presses the plastic to the tip. 

S2140005.thumb.JPG.f69da5b46651f4512627911e6fca21b1.JPG

I could spend hours on this now, looking for a solution here. Do I want to do this, should I do this?
I will probably tape around it again. 
This Kaweco is as expensive as a medium pizza, and I have other pens to write with. 
On the other hand, the play instinct is gnawing at me and I wonder if I can't take this thing apart somehow?

@halffriedchicken:

S2140007.thumb.JPG.c780df48c9021630fb9ec9a32abbcc3b.JPG

The pressure from the spring would probably crack the pencil again even if you tried to fix it. It would probably better to tape or replace it. 

And great lenses! 

On 7/11/2021 at 8:49 PM, Carloa said:

@ethernautrix: This question has occupied mankind since the beginning: why does what happens happen and why to me and why not to others?

I'm contrary in that I think, why not (happen to) me? 

I don't believe in karma (she says, crossing her fingers). I believe in cause and effect and dumb luck and mystery (which means "I don't know and, at the moment, can't figure it out").

etherX in To Miasto

On 7/12/2021 at 12:08 AM, halffriedchicken said:

Here is a link that might be helpful for fixing cracked/broken pens with super glue if you’re willing to give it a try. 

@halffriedchicken (love your username!).

The cracks in the Moonman cap aren't so worrying, mostly because I have another Moonman C2. However if the cracks become more serious, I'll take a look at the video. Thank you!

etherX in To Miasto

On 7/11/2021 at 11:49 AM, Carloa said:

@Gloucesterman: This is not just 'two cents'! This is the history of the perception of mankind. This one starts with Xenophanes and goes through Epictetus and Marcus Aurelius to the Stoics and quite modern: To constructivism: If I am my own perception, and who else should be, then the other is nothing else than myself. But often we take the other for another and kill him because we subordinate his perception to ours. What a topic!

Interesting, why would constructivism equate a person with their perception of reality? Does this also apply to inanimate things as well as other perceiving creatures? What about the things which are not perceived like ideas and such? Wouldn't this result in a constructivist thinking, "I am everything; I am everyone; I am the universe?" If that is the case, then this question of why everything happens should not worry you. Everything that ever happens to you is simply the result of yourself. Anything 'bad' that happens would be your own fault, anything 'good' a gift from yourself. 

9 hours ago, ethernautrix said:

@halffriedchicken (love your username!).

The cracks in the Moonman cap aren't so worrying, mostly because I have another Moonman C2. However if the cracks become more serious, I'll take a look at the video. Thank you!

No problem! Hopefully your Moonman gets many more years of use, cracks and all.

About road rage, the funny thing is that people with road rage get mad because everyone else is the bad driver. They never get mad at their own bad driving. 

And glad you like the username. I enjoy seeing your profile picture :). It makes me feel like we're having a conversation and you're genuinely listening.

IMG_2935.thumb.jpg.b744e037aab9a7f8c5378bc6893ffc35.jpg

We have started here with a few harmless Kawecos and have now arrived at the depths of solipsism, at Decartes, Schopenhauer, Stirner and Wittgenstein and at the question: To whom does the perception of the world belong? (And the further question, of course, is: If I am the whole world, why do I inflict pain on myself?)
May I respond with two stories, one true and one invented:

IMG_2882.thumb.jpg.56085f1870ff3fc09f07c1190af97288.jpg

@ethernautrix 
I had a boyfriend and this boyfriend had a girlfriend. This girlfriend was in a serious car accident that she barely survived. After her recovery, she flew to Bali to recuperate. One evening she visits a restaurant and then briefly goes outside the door to smoke a cigarette. At that moment, a bomb explodes in the restaurant. And shortly after, a second one. That was the attack of 2002 with more than 200 dead. She is seriously injured again, mainly by broken glass and burning material, but survives the attack. After the wounds are halfway healed and she is fit to travel again, she flies on to Australia, again to recover. There she goes swimming with friends one evening at a nearby river. And dies there at the hands of a crocodile that snaps at her and pulls her under.

IMG_2567.thumb.jpg.87f6932ead41c8b099f50fe0be167d0c.jpg

@halffriedchicken
A farmer had a horse. One day the horse was gone. Just run away. Then the villagers came and pitied the farmer: 'You poor man! Your only horse! How will you cultivate your fields now? How will you feed your family?
The farmer, however, only cradled his head and said, 'Is it good, is it bad: one does not know.'

After a week, the horse comes back, bringing two others with it. Then the villagers come and congratulate the farmer: 'You lucky man! Three horses! What wealth! Now you can cultivate the fields three times!'
Again the farmer says: 'Is it good, is it bad: one does not know.'

While breaking in the new horses, the son falls down, breaks his foot and is henceforth lame and cannot work properly. Again the villagers come and lament the farmer: 'Poor you! Your only son! Who is going to do the work for you now? Who will take care of the farm? How will you survive with a cripple?'
And again the farmer: 'Is it good, is it bad: one does not know.'

That's when a war breaks out. All the sons of the village have to go to war. Only the farmer's son, because lame, stays behind. And again the villagers come: 'You lucky one! Our sons have been taken from us and none of them will return! Only you have kept yours! Only you lucky one have the comfort of your child in old age!'
And again the farmer says: ....

7 hours ago, halffriedchicken said:

No problem! Hopefully your Moonman gets many more years of use, cracks and all.

About road rage, the funny thing is that people with road rage get mad because everyone else is the bad driver. They never get mad at their own bad driving. 

And glad you like the username. I enjoy seeing your profile picture :). It makes me feel like we're having a conversation and you're genuinely listening.

Thanks, halffriedchicken (is it a fried half-chicken or a half-fried chicken, like parboiled? Hahaha, the former makes sense and must be the obvious answer.)

In my ex's defense, he didn't drive badly or aggressively, but he couldn't not perceive another driver's aggressive driving as an invitation to correction (or, confrontation). He wasn't aggressive until there was aggression -- eye for an eye. Maybe cos his died when he was eight. (Call back!) Or maybe he was a traffic vigilante, teaching the jerk drivers a lesson. "He/she needed a hard braking." Hahaha. (I'm laughing now. I haven't been in a car with him in many years.) 

And to the photo -- haha. (Sotto voce) Sometimes I skim.... But I'll go back and re-read before commenting, to make sure I've understood others and am replying on point, and then totally digressing. Haha.

etherX in To Miasto

@Carloa I like your photos.

The second story is one of my favorites. Up there with the Mustard Seed Parable (which I'm sure you're familiar with).

But for those who might not know it (and I'll attempt succinctness): A woman's young son dies and she cannot stop grieving. She appeals to the Buddha who instructs her to bring back a mustard seed from a family that has not experienced the death of a loved one. The woman goes from house to house, village to village, and in every home, she finds someone who has suffered the loss of a loved one. Finally, she realizes that no one is untouched by such suffering and experiences "mu!" (moment of enlightenment) and goes on to become an exemplar of compassion.

As for your first story, I've been binge-watching MrBallen's videos on YouTube and find that story entirely believable. 

In one of my first jobs, at a radio station, the traffic reporter left our station to work in the same position for a New York station. She survived when the helicopter she was reporting from crashed. After she healed from her injuries, she returned to her job. She didn't survive the second helicopter crash.

What's the lesson? Don't ride in helicopters? Maybe, but also...you just don't know. And if you don't know, then... how to live? As Warren Zevon said, "Enjoy every sandwich."

etherX in To Miasto

35 minutes ago, ethernautrix said:

Thanks, halffriedchicken (is it a fried half-chicken or a half-fried chicken, like parboiled? Hahaha, the former makes sense and must be the obvious answer.)

In my ex's defense, he didn't drive badly or aggressively, but he couldn't not perceive another driver's aggressive driving as an invitation to correction (or, confrontation). He wasn't aggressive until there was aggression -- eye for an eye. Maybe cos his died when he was eight. (Call back!) Or maybe he was a traffic vigilante, teaching the jerk drivers a lesson. "He/she needed a hard braking." Hahaha. (I'm laughing now. I haven't been in a car with him in many years.) 

And to the photo -- haha. (Sotto voce) Sometimes I skim.... But I'll go back and re-read before commenting, to make sure I've understood others and am replying on point, and then totally digressing. Haha.

In light of the context of this thread, perhaps it is what you make it to be. :) I ordered a half fried chicken from a restaurant and thought it was amusing. I thought it was a clever way to prevent customers from complaining if the chicken was not fully cooked. "You ordered half fried chicken. What are you complaining about?" So here I thought it would be good to have a silly name on a forum so that no one would get upset at my comments since they would be getting upset at a chicken that was fried in half.

I took a bus in NYC once where the bus driver got upset at a car so the bus driver yelled, "Don't mess with me! Don't you mess with me! I will cut you in half!" It's seems funnier now compared to being in the bus at the time.