• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Detman101

• PithyProlix

• LizEF

• I-am-not-really-here

Thanks for the review! :) "Taupe heaven" isn't really for me, but I'm still enjoying all the reviews. :D

Looks great. I'll have to consider it for when I finish all my other grey bottles.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

Swan Illusion may be my most favorite ink of the ones I will never have. 😂 

I'm just now trying out PenBBS #390 Guilin in a fountain pen for the first time - a Parker 61 with something like an American XF/Japanese F size nib. Based on what I see in your review, as well as @namrehsnoom's review here on FPN (which is a fantastic review with some great accompanying discussion, btw) I'd say that on some paper - Logical Air, for instance - it does have a very similar look at first, though a little more brown and Swan Illusion more grey, however it seems to have the somewhat strange behavior of going even more brown well after it's already dry on the paper. On other paper - Tomoe River, for instance - Guilin is distinctly brown with a slight greenish tinge (and almost like it could be a completely different ink) - not at all like Swan Illusion.

You might be interested to take a look at @yazeh's great review of Gutenberg Urkundentinte G10 schwarz, a similarly toned iron gall ink. There's also a good bit of flex writing in his review: 

Thanks again for another great review! I really needed the extra dose of temptation. (NOT!)

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

Another great review. No more Depeche mode? ;)

@mizgeoge is the best, isn't she? :)

@PithyProlix on my screen Swan illusion leans to the grey zone, Gutenberg Urkundentinten is more of a brown black IG. :)

I love Swan Illusion - hence wanting to share it! I think Taupe is a good descriptor - it can be grey, sepia, brown, something in between, and can show green, pink and orange as well as blue - the chroma is fascinating on this one. I actually think it's one of the most interesting inks MB have made in some years. I just wish it wasn't quite so fussy about paper, there are some it just doesn't like at all.

Love the review :)

38 minutes ago, mizgeorge said:

I love Swan Illusion - hence wanting to share it! I think Taupe is a good descriptor - it can be grey, sepia, brown, something in between, and can show green, pink and orange as well as blue - the chroma is fascinating on this one. I actually think it's one of the most interesting inks MB have made in some years. I just wish it wasn't quite so fussy about paper, there are some it just doesn't like at all

The chromatography sure is fascinating. From @namrehsnoom's review (https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/337850-mont-blanc-swan-illusion-plume )fpn_1531337345__mont_blanc_-_swan_illusi

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

10 hours ago, LizEF said:

Thanks for the review! :) "Taupe heaven" isn't really for me, but I'm still enjoying all the reviews. :D

Kewl kewl, I'm having a great time reviewing these AWESOME inks!
@mizgeorge has great taste in ink!!

8 hours ago, I-am-not-really-here said:

What paper are you using?  

Oh, I should include that in my reviews!!! Thank you!
I am using paper from Office Depot, GSM120 Laserjet paper I believe. I am at work and don't have the package with me.

6 hours ago, txomsy said:

Looks great. I'll have to consider it for when I finish all my other grey bottles.

Awesome! :)

5 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

Swan Illusion may be my most favorite ink of the ones I will never have. 😂 

I'm just now trying out PenBBS #390 Guilin in a fountain pen for the first time - a Parker 61 with something like an American XF/Japanese F size nib. Based on what I see in your review, as well as @namrehsnoom's review here on FPN (which is a fantastic review with some great accompanying discussion, btw) I'd say that on some paper - Logical Air, for instance - it does have a very similar look at first, though a little more brown and Swan Illusion more grey, however it seems to have the somewhat strange behavior of going even more brown well after it's already dry on the paper. On other paper - Tomoe River, for instance - Guilin is distinctly brown with a slight greenish tinge (and almost like it could be a completely different ink) - not at all like Swan Illusion.

You might be interested to take a look at @yazeh's great review of Gutenberg Urkundentinte G10 schwarz, a similarly toned iron gall ink. There's also a good bit of flex writing in his review: 

Thanks again for another great review! I really needed the extra dose of temptation. (NOT!)

Awesome! Thanks for the lead, I'll check out that review of the "Gutenberg" ink later today! :D

3 hours ago, yazeh said:

Another great review. No more Depeche mode? ;)

@mizgeoge is the best, isn't she? :)

@PithyProlix on my screen Swan illusion leans to the grey zone, Gutenberg Urkundentinten is more of a brown black IG. :)

Hehehe...I'm happy someone noticed :D I was on a "Depeche Mode" kick as someone came back into my life that literally relates to EVERY song of theirs that I've ever known and loved.
We've literally loved each other our entire adult lives (20+ years)...and we cannot be together due to our individual circumstances
Kinda like that movie "Hancock"....
But, you have to get to the place where you accept your choices...and just move forward as friends. 💔 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, mizgeorge said:

I love Swan Illusion - hence wanting to share it! I think Taupe is a good descriptor - it can be grey, sepia, brown, something in between, and can show green, pink and orange as well as blue - the chroma is fascinating on this one. I actually think it's one of the most interesting inks MB have made in some years. I just wish it wasn't quite so fussy about paper, there are some it just doesn't like at all.

I loved this ink's appearance and flow! It shows as a greyish brown...definitely more gray than Guilin.
I will definitely be buying a bottle of this ink. Montblanc gonna get a ton of my money in a few months...lol.

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

9 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

I would love to see a review of Guilin if you are motivated to do it... 😉🙏

Oh you know I am my friend!!
I'm bumping that to the top of the list simply because I LOVE GUILIN more than any other brown ink in existence.
😍

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

On 6/26/2021 at 1:05 AM, PithyProlix said:

I would love to see a review of Guilin if you are motivated to do it... 😉🙏

@PithyProlix Penbbs - #390 review is live...just for you my friend! :)

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hands down this is my favorite brown ink, and is likely in my top five favorite inks!  I love, love, love this ink.  The shading, the flow - it is absolutely stunning.  Nothing else compares. 

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

8 hours ago, DrDebG said:

Hands down this is my favorite brown ink, and is likely in my top five favorite inks!  I love, love, love this ink.  The shading, the flow - it is absolutely stunning.  Nothing else compares. 

It truly is beautiful and evocative of a past era of luxury, flambouyance and decadence.
It just makes me feel...Victorian...when I use it.  Absolutely one of the nicest samples that I've ever tried.
I will admit, this is the ink I desired before I found "Penbbs - #390".
The only plus to that ink over this one is the color shift as it dries. The only negative...the MB ink is mega expensive.
Other than that...they are the same wetness, the same flow, the same shade and the same lubricity.
But if I couldn't get "Penbbs - #390", I'd be saving up to buy the "MB - Swan Illusion"!!

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

On 6/25/2021 at 2:01 PM, mizgeorge said:

I love Swan Illusion … I actually think it's one of the most interesting inks MB have made in some years.

+1 on both counts. 

In my opinion not only one of MB’s more interesting inks, but one of the more interesting inks overall that I have seen the past few years.

And this review definitely shows the ink at its best. I love the shading on the beautiful cursive handwriting. I haven’t used the Swan in a while, so this review gives me an excellent reason to again fill up a pen with it, and enjoy it once again. I now have some interesting cursive italic nibs that will be just right for this ink.