Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• A Smug Dill

• Frank C

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

large.107352310_ChubbyChecker.jpg.4ee394f3fded750afe4717ee6c4a1437.jpg

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• 4 weeks later...

Not another contribution to this thread, but…

My wife dragged me Christmas gift shopping for her young cousins (which is a term that confuses me), and we ended up getting a set of the Kontour game for one of the ten(?)-year-olds, and a set of Rory's Story Cubes for her younger sister. (Last year we gave them Pilot Plumix pens and blank Paperblanks journals in which to draw.)

I've been trying out the idea of Kontour with fountain pens, and it's not bloody easy to do actually!

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

3 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

I've been trying out the idea of Kontour with fountain pens, and it's not bloody easy to do actually!

Looks fun, though! :)  Sort of like Pictionary.

7 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

Wow.  Makes me glad I'm not from a culture where I have to know this sort of thing - I have to use a spreadsheet just to figure out how the whole numbered cousins thing (first, second, etc.) and "n times removed" works - it makes sense when I'm looking at the spreadsheet, but an hour later, I can't remember it anymore!

6 minutes ago, LizEF said:

Looks fun, though! :)  Sort of like Pictionary.

Not being able to draw circles or even curved lines, when trying to convey something pictorially, is hard! Especially if you're only allowed 15 (straight) lines in total.

12 minutes ago, LizEF said:

Makes me glad I'm not from a culture where I have to know this sort of thing

These two lists capture all(?) of the terms the Chinese use for different types of cousins:

and that's before factoring the ‘rank’ within a family unit or generation into the term of address for an individual.

13 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

Especially if you're only allowed 15 (straight) lines in total.

I agree with that.  I'm not too awful at Pictionary, depending on the word, but that limit + the time-limit would be very challenging.

4 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

These two lists capture all(?) of the terms the Chinese use for different types of cousins:

and that's before factoring the ‘rank’ within a family unit or generation into the term of address for an individual.

DId I mention I was glad? :lol:

• 9 months later...

19 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

I was just thinking of this topic recently. I saw statement that if taken literally was funny. I'm glad that you revived this thread. 

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

• 4 weeks later...

large.1946162711_Inksniffers.jpg.8671c42e433576b256836788f32871bd.jpg

Inspired by: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/368093-ink-sniffers-😉/

but primarily intended as a reply to @LizEF:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/368175-teranishi-chemical-industry-‘guitar’-modern-red/#comment-4566089

The dragon's colour is, of course, Diamine Red Dragon; and what everyone is swirling and sniffing is Teranishi Chemicial Industry ‘Guitar’ series Modern Red ink. They're not that close in appearance, especially when I look at the page under a bright white LED lamp; Diamine Red Dragon looks carmine in comparison.

1 hour ago, A Smug Dill said:

large.1946162711_Inksniffers.jpg.8671c42e433576b256836788f32871bd.jpg

:lol: Love it!  Very nice sniffing dragon.

Thank you for the fun comparison!  Turns out, I like both reds.  I'm guessing the difference is greater in person.  And I think I only have one bottle of red ink (Waterman), so I may have to get another, or two (though I'm not seeing the Teranishi from US retailers at the moment - still, in time, I bet Vanness add them)... ;)

This one is for an actively running thread. +1 score points to the first one to guess the thread's title :)

Done on the rear sheet of a Moleskine cream paper 9x14 notebook held in a leather sleeve (some wax must have transferred and ink had trouble fixing), with Noodler's Lexington Grey and OS Nitrogen.

IMG_20221008_112529.jpg

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

6 hours ago, txomsy said:

This one is for an actively running thread. +1 score points to the first one to guess the thread's title :)

Done on the rear sheet of a Moleskine cream paper 9x14 notebook held in a leather sleeve (some wax must have transferred and ink had trouble fixing), with Noodler's Lexington Grey and OS Nitrogen.

IMG_20221008_112529.jpg

How about finding the thread rather than guessing its title?

That deserves a bonus, adding up to two (2!) score points!

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.