Post Your Best Stickman

LizEF

17 minutes ago, Frank C said:

Isn't your avatar you?

Yes - it's a digitized version of a sketch of me drawn by Richard Ball way back in the 1990s. :)  It just took me a while to remember it and realize that must be your source.

19 minutes ago, Frank C said:

I am morphing into a stick figure, even as I write.

:lol: Everything looks different when you're a stick person.

19 minutes ago, Frank C said:

Of course, that may be Makhabesh's mother, but I think that she wears bifocals. 

:lticaptd:I wouldn't let her hear you say that!

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• A Smug Dill

• Frank C

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Detman101 said:

Indeed it did. Voice recognition, proximity sensors, remote monitoring...the works.
Kick in the butt for me selecting the top-of-the-line tech (at the time we built the house 3 years ago) for the house.
🙄

Shouldn't have done that...

I'm guessing that it was for telling it to automatically turn the temperature up or down.  The same way my brother-in-law's wife tells Alexa to set a timer for something in the oven....  

Me, I used to use the built in (but manual) timer on the clock on the wall ovens.  When it bit the dust I bought an old fashioned manual kitchen timer.  The only thing that isn't good for is when I make pizzelles because I have to time those out in seconds -- for that I used to use the timer feature on my digital watch (nowadays, I'd have to use the timer feature on the clock app on my phone instead).

If they're gonna keep pushing for more stuff like that, why don't they make things that are actually USEFUL -- like automatically sensing when a tray of cookies is done enough without having to check every couple of minutes?  Of course that presumes that the oven gauges are accurate enough to monitor that 325° F is ACTUALLY 325° F (our ovens have always run a little on the hot side to begin with, and I'm nearly always only using the top oven on the convection setting (which means dropping the tempurature setting about 25° lower than what the recipe calls for, and also estimating a shorter time frame).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

1 hour ago, inkstainedruth said:

I'm guessing that it was for telling it to automatically turn the temperature up or down.  The same way my brother-in-law's wife tells Alexa to set a timer for something in the oven....  

Me, I used to use the built in (but manual) timer on the clock on the wall ovens.  When it bit the dust I bought an old fashioned manual kitchen timer.  The only thing that isn't good for is when I make pizzelles because I have to time those out in seconds -- for that I used to use the timer feature on my digital watch (nowadays, I'd have to use the timer feature on the clock app on my phone instead).

If they're gonna keep pushing for more stuff like that, why don't they make things that are actually USEFUL -- like automatically sensing when a tray of cookies is done enough without having to check every couple of minutes?  Of course that presumes that the oven gauges are accurate enough to monitor that 325° F is ACTUALLY 325° F (our ovens have always run a little on the hot side to begin with, and I'm nearly always only using the top oven on the convection setting (which means dropping the tempurature setting about 25° lower than what the recipe calls for, and also estimating a shorter time frame).

I agree, they could make these items do more than spy on our every spoken word and blast our email and online accounts with targeted advertising for things we care nothing about.
At this point, I don't know where I stand.
I make my living off of the digital world...but also despise it and the have a deep-seated hatred toward the worldwide mess it has created.
I have deleted as many digital items from our home as possible, but I cannot get rid of the cable-internet box, the alarm system, cameras or the electronic stove.
Wife also won't let me get a wood stove for the house...bleh.
I'll keep pressing...but lets get the thread back on topic.
Enough of my digital misanthropy and technophobia...lol.
:lol:

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

My wife said something to me the other day about swings and roundabouts.

large.167635960_Swingsandroundabout.jpg.212fbbc7557b4b46a96fa34b43b2971f.jpg

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

:) Reminds me of a round park in one of the places where I lived.  I suppose it may have been a roundabout, I don't remember (I was 6-8), but it was definitely round and had play-set-stuff in the middle, and a street led to it....

18 minutes ago, LizEF said:

Inspired by my own status report...

large.InkClogging.jpg.6b4d1469fd92f6b76cf6c2645d4f2b67.jpg

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

3 hours ago, LizEF said:

Inspired by my own status report...

large.InkClogging.jpg.6b4d1469fd92f6b76cf6c2645d4f2b67.jpg

:lticaptd::lticaptd::lticaptd:

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

IMG_0542.thumb.jpeg.9aebc813dea83ae8f063ad59ce27f50e.jpeg

I've been looking for a double entendré  on the list of topics for a while. When I see the title of someone else's effort for this page, I always smile. 

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

10 minutes ago, Frank C said:

I've been looking for a double entendré  on the list of topics for a while. When I see the title of someone else's effort for this page, I always smile. 

:)  I didn't think of just looking through all the thread titles (I just go through my own filtered list, which is pretty small).

1 hour ago, Frank C said:

IMG_0542.thumb.jpeg.9aebc813dea83ae8f063ad59ce27f50e.jpeg

Just showed this one to my husband and he said "There should be some way to turn this one into "penitentiary"....

When I see the title of someone else's effort for this page, I always smile.

I'm struggling to finish a drawing I started two days ago; it's proving a bit more complex for my sketching skills! (Of course, it was me who chose the complexity, and maybe I'm just too lazy to now consider some simpler representation.) 😔

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

@LizEF, @inkstainedruth, & @A Smug Dill, Is this what you're talking about?

IMG_0547.thumb.jpeg.8cb6e253731e30134daf95b8bc549e14.jpeg

I've never been "artistic", but anyone can draw a stick figure. I usually open FPN when I'm taking a little break from more serious computer tasks. I first go to the bell to see if there are any interesting comments on topics I follow. Then I go to "Activity" and look for more topics that might interest me. I look for questions with very few replies or from newcomers. I've noticed that many people join FPN because they don't know much about fountain pens and they have some questions; I try to answer those. That is where I found this title. 

I appreciate the effort that goes into @A Smug Dill's creations, but that far exceeds my limited artistic ability. 

I really enjoy this topic. I am having fun drawing stick figures and enjoy the clever things people say here. 

I just noticed that @alexwi has already drawn this one on 7/2. It must have been stored in my subconscious. 

I was looking for @alexwi's post where he said:

"I just showed this discussion to my daughter, who, strangely enough, seemed interested and the conclusion was that it shows a lot of "daddyism."

"Awwww it's so cute how you have a lot of friends like you!" - I laughed at this, but am not sure it was meant as a compliment 🙂"

I am very fortunate to have two very nice pens inked up and ready to go near my computer. One has Montblanc Permanent Black and the other has Permanent Blue. I usually use the blue one for these, but I picked up the black one for #2. Permanent Black doesn't dry as quickly and tends to smudge—as you can see. I am also fortunate to "have a lot of friends like [me]". 

Taking a break from the other drawing…

4 hours ago, Frank C said:

When I see the title of someone else's effort for this page,

I don't think I need to spell this one out:

2144363096_YouTubepenreviewersinaword.jpg.37f2ec64296e8d9d7b2fd93b341a8d8b.jpg

2 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

Taking a break from the other drawing…

I don't think I need to spell this one out:

2144363096_YouTubepenreviewersinaword.jpg.37f2ec64296e8d9d7b2fd93b341a8d8b.jpg

:lticaptd::lticaptd::lticaptd:

@LizEF, @inkstainedruth, & @A Smug Dill, Is this what you're talking about?

I've never been "artistic", but anyone can draw a stick figure.

Exactly my point.  And it's fun to do, and fun to share - good stuff all around.

I am also fortunate to "have a lot of friends like [me]". 

:) FPN is one of my favorite places.

“Is there a scientific study of inks to determine their kindness, or cruelty, to vintage pens?”

large.990142911_StanfordVintagePenWorkshopExperiment.jpg.4b916bfb2d8673974cc4fe5d3b008525.jpg

The Stanford Penitentiary Experiment

Day 1