Posted Images

On 7/18/2021 at 5:17 PM, alexwi said:

Inspired by

large.317819442_crosscrosspen.jpg.abd33f

Hahaha...this, I like!

SIG-The great Squint-Off.jpg

large.1728392123_Sailorrepairservice.jpg.4e8bb419206db2871c4525d1709ee7d8.jpg

Sailor repair service

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

5 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

Sailor repair service

where's the stickman?

Add lightness and simplicate.

Just now, Karmachanic said:

where's the stickman?

Third from the right - man with stick...

4 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

where's the stickman?

🔍 Behind the counter visible through the automatic sliding doors. 😶

All of the sailors began as stick figures, but after my adding the sailor caps of different, deliberately chosen styles to them, it just seemed wrong not to dress them in uniform as well. There is still no detail in the hands, etc. — partly because the fountain pen I was using wouldn't be fine enough for such work, even though it's one of the finest I have (exceeding even the Platinum #3776 Century UEF).

The sailors are 2cm tall each on the physical drawing.

I'm thinking of getting a second UEF-nibbed Platinum #3776 Century, to see if I'd get lucky and that it'll do better… but I seriously doubt it.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Just now, A Smug Dill said:

The sailors are 2cm tall each on the physical drawing.

I'm thinking of getting a second UEF-nibbed Platinum #3776 Century, to see if I'd get lucky and that it'll do better… but I seriously doubt it.

I suggest a Rotring Rapidograph 0.20 a completely different animal.

8 hours ago, Azkim Rikschum said:

How a Piston Pen works:

I like! By the way, what kind of paper did you use, to have a background effect like that?

11 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

All of the sailors began as stick figures,

Question: Would this below have been just as effective in conveying the idea and key details?

large.930947587_Reducingthesailorstostickfiguresforcomparison.jpg.bd5b2fbfbfee182e3b97cdbaaef0d785.jpg

(I was really struggling to draw a broken heart on the side of the esky, but I can't think of how to reduce it to something smaller and/or simpler.)

43 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

I like! By the way, what kind of paper did you use, to have a background effect like that?

Nothing particular. Just traditional plain copier paper and a pencil drawing.

After the scanning I was adjusting curves/levels commands in photoshop to make the gray lines near to black, and that thing was a collateral effect (which I like, so I decided to keep it)

To be honest I suspect that it can eventually be correlated to the "low illumination/photons" thing of the cell camera since I took the photo after dinner in a room with a very soft illumination and that command in photoshop probably made the artifact more visible.

20 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

where's the stickman?

Did you look up your butt?

I wasn't going to say that out loud, but I'm laughing, so...

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

9 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

Question: Would this below have been just as effective in conveying the idea and key details?

For me, yes. :)

4 hours ago, ethernautrix said:

...something...

As the OP, I wish to point out that we're just having a bit of fun here.  Posts that weren't strictly stickmen have been made frequently, including by me, and are just fine - despite the thread title.  Let's try to remain polite.

13 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

large.930947587_Reducingthesailorstostickfiguresforcomparison.jpg.bd5b2fbfbfee182e3b97cdbaaef0d785.jpg

Not for me. In my case, it fails to transmit your hilarious attention to detail, such as the family portrait in the montblanc cracked housing, crabby sailor, the stickers on the glass door of the clinic so people don't smash into it, etc.

---------------------------------------------------------

We use our phones more than our pens.....

and the world is a worse place for it. - markh

18 hours ago, LizEF said:

As the OP, I wish to point out that we're just having a bit of fun here.  Posts that weren't strictly stickmen have been made frequently, including by me, and are just fine - despite the thread title.  Let's try to remain polite.

Absolutely. I noticed that the critic hadn't contributed any drawings and knee-jerked an immature reply. I apologize to any who were appalled. I should have pointed out to the critic what you said, about "stickman's" being a suggestion not a rigid requirement. A missed opportunity for politeness, to be sure.

I am enjoying this thread very much and have been scribbling my own terrible stick figures with the intention of sharing a drawring or two one of these days.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

6 hours ago, ethernautrix said:

Absolutely. I noticed that the critic hadn't contributed any drawings and knee-jerked an immature reply. I apologize to any who were appalled. I should have pointed out to the critic what you said, about "stickman's" being a suggestion not a rigid requirement. A missed opportunity for politeness, to be sure.

I am enjoying this thread very much and have been scribbling my own terrible stick figures with the intention of sharing a drawring or two one of these days.

No worries, just wanted to make sure we didn't get into any back-and-forth. :)  Looking forward to your stickmen or similar drawings. :)

PS: I find no fault in asking the question - given the title of the thread, it may have been overly rigid, but it was legitimate.  (And I know Karma well enough to believe he wasn't intending harm.)

Advice for he who is stuck on two pens:

large.92169640_Stuckontwopens.jpg.d8e1a408b050e7ff616a55b7721d0d2f.jpg