HOW MANY TIMES CAN YOU FILL A FOUNTAIN PEN WHEN USING AN HERBIN 10ml ink bottle ?

Patrick L

The OP didn't specify *how* the ink would get into the pen, which leaves it wide open. Even with a 149, I'd be able to use up most of an entire 10ml bottle simply by putting it into something like an Ink Miser as mentioned above to aid in filling. There's no requirement to fill directly from the bottle, and doing so with the small 10ml bottles can be frustrating. 

Moreover, I can't possibly see how the question "How many times it's possible to fill a fountain pen" can possibly be interpreted to mean how long a pen will write with a single fill. The two are completely separate issues. The question as stated by the OP is about the number of times that a fountain pen can be filled using a given quantity of ink, which is a straightforward quotient of the ink capacity of the bottle and the pen's capacity per fill. 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sirgilbert357

• gyasko

• bunnspecial

• A Smug Dill

Top Posters In This Topic

For the OP's question, I understood it as "How many times can I fill up my pen from 10mL of ink."

I think we can safely conclude that the answer is anywhere from a couple of times(say a big piston filler that holds ~2.5mL) to maybe 15-20 times(a converter that holds .5-.7mL).

That is a separate question from "how much can I write", which could be a couple dozen pages if you're using an O3B 149 to a few hundred pages using an EF Japanese nib.

BTW, these "big sample" bottles as I call them can be a perpetual problem for filling most any pen. I have several of the Diamine 30mL bottles, which I love in the sense that they're cheap and have enough ink for me to REALLY get a feel for it(trying in different pens/nibs/papers, etc, where a typical ~2mL sample is good for maybe 2 fills of ink) but they must have the smallest neck of any ink bottle I can think of. I sometimes stick bare converters directly down into them, or otherwise will syringe out enough either to fill the pen directly(if that can be done) or put it in a 3mL conical sample vial(which will handle a 149 nib).

12 hours ago, sirgilbert357 said:

Get an Ink Miser Shot Inkwell and never look back. I never fill from the bottle now...

I’m happy with MB shoe bottles.

13 hours ago, gyasko said:

The 149 is the quintessential big fat pen.  It doesn’t fit.  On top of that, it’s a piston filler so no syringey workarounds are possible either.

13 hours ago, sirgilbert357 said:

Get an Ink Miser Shot Inkwell and never look back. I never fill from the bottle now...

Or get a pen-meister who grinds down your pen until it fits into the narrow bottle ...

There is always a way!

;)

One life!

2 hours ago, gyasko said:

I’m happy with MB shoe bottles.

I don't think I could live with using only MB inks. Although, if you have a dedicated ink for that pen and never change it -- and it happens to be a MB ink -- then you are in good shape. 👍

1 hour ago, sirgilbert357 said:

I don't think I could live with using only MB inks.

No need to.

Just keep empty bottles for future use with other inks.

If you can refill a cartridge, you may as well refill an ink bottle after cleaning it in running water, and place a sticker with the name of the new ink (and a sample swab) to know what it contains.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

31 minutes ago, txomsy said:

No need to.

Just keep empty bottles for future use with other inks.

If you can refill a cartridge, you may as well refill an ink bottle after cleaning it in running water, and place a sticker with the name of the new ink (and a sample swab) to know what it contains.

That's not a bad idea, I guess. The Ink Miser makes it unnecessary though. I've saved a few bottles in the past, but have only ever needed one: I poured a bottle of Noodlers Liberty's Elysium (this was back when they had to ship all their ink in plastic bottles) into a cleaned out Pelikan Edelstein bottle. I didn't like the plain plastic bottle, lol.

Aside from that, I've saved a couple of others just in case a lid cracks (an Iroshizuku bottle I got from Amazon arrived with a cracked lid and luckily I had another lid to put on it) and I have to switch bottles for that reason. I don't save very many empty bottles though. Two or three seems to be the most I'll ever need. And I'm slowly emptying others all the time, so I'll have more on hand as time goes by should my habits change and dictate a need for more.

2 hours ago, sirgilbert357 said:

I don't think I could live with using only MB inks. Although, if you have a dedicated ink for that pen and never change it -- and it happens to be a MB ink -- then you are in good shape. 👍

I hate to be "that guy" but honestly of any of the big pen makers IMO Montblanc offers what may well be the most comprehensive line of inks. They cover the basics, have the classic safe inks, have the ISO certified permanents, and lots of interesting colors.

Of course, the interesting ones are often $1 or better per mL and can turn into unobtanium(and grossly inflated prices) but if I had to stick to one ink brand that would be hard to do.

Just because I use them a lot, though, doesn't mean I don't appreciate other options...and I use plenty of them. Now it's Scribe Technical Consulting Indigo for my every day blue, with a sidetrack to the MB Around the World in 80 Days(a rehash of the 2019 LE Petrol Blue) that I put in the matching pen.

21 minutes ago, bunnspecial said:

I hate to be "that guy" but honestly of any of the big pen makers IMO Montblanc offers what may well be the most comprehensive line of inks.

More so than Sailor, with its Shikiori, Manyo, Ink Studio, and STORiA (pigment ink) product lines, as well as its dye-based inks and nano-pigment inks in the ‘business’ colours of blue, blue-black and black, even if you don't count Kobe INK Story and other inks it makes for many Japanese companies as their own shop exclusives?

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

1 hour ago, bunnspecial said:

I hate to be "that guy" but honestly of any of the big pen makers IMO Montblanc offers what may well be the most comprehensive line of inks. They cover the basics, have the classic safe inks, have the ISO certified permanents, and lots of interesting colors.

Of course, the interesting ones are often $1 or better per mL and can turn into unobtanium(and grossly inflated prices) but if I had to stick to one ink brand that would be hard to do.

Just because I use them a lot, though, doesn't mean I don't appreciate other options...and I use plenty of them. Now it's Scribe Technical Consulting Indigo for my every day blue, with a sidetrack to the MB Around the World in 80 Days(a rehash of the 2019 LE Petrol Blue) that I put in the matching pen.

I could be wrong, but I think Sailor blows them out of the water...

36 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

More so than Sailor, with its Shikiori, Manyo, Ink Studio, and STORiA (pigment ink) product lines, as well as its dye-based inks and nano-pigment inks in the ‘business’ colours of blue, blue-black and black, even if you don't count Kobe INK Story and other inks it makes for many Japanese companies as their own shop exclusives?

A Smug Dill beat me to the punch...LOL.

Perhaps enough ink variety to suit me would be a better phrasing. 

With that said, there are some really great LE inks…

8 hours ago, sirgilbert357 said:

You can put whatever you want in the bottle once you’ve used up the ink.