Where to find a lock ring for a conklin crescent

Simian devotee

Hello all.

This is my first post here, and my repair attempt as well.

I made a mistake when trying to change the inksac on my conklin crescent, and now I need another lock ring. I think the original one was made of rubber.

I cannot find this as a spare anywhere. Anyone has any idea where to find this in Europe? Or will I have to turn one myself?

All help would be much appreciated.

SD.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Simian devotee

• FredRydr

• Mjbtoon

• Ron Z

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good luck.  Spare locking rings are as scarce as hen's teeth.  If your Conklin is a large one (say a Mk 50) the ring on the new Conklin crescent models might fit.  It did on mine and let me use the pen until I finally stumbled across the correct ring after a two year hunt.  Spohr pens came with Conklinesque locking rings that might fit some Conklins if you don't mind a Frankenpen.  Otherwise your best bet is hunting for parts pens in antique shops, flea markets, and online sites.  Sometimes broken Conklin barrels turn up in pen "lots" on eBay but finding them there is labor intensive.

Replacing the rings is not for the faint of heart.  They get brittle with age so heating the ring before sliding it over the end of the barrel and into the groove is essential to minimize the risk of breakage.

I wish I could help more. 

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

'Tis true.  Of all the spare parts I've hunted for my vintage hard rubber Conklin crescent-fillers, lock rings are the scarcest.  Less than scarce!  They break all too easily.  And I should stop taking home those orphaned ringless crescent-fillers.

I wonder if anyone has succeeded in fabricating a batch of lock rings from hard rubber rods.

Thank you for confirming my suspicions. 

Well, I might as well turn this into a project.

I will probably 3d print a ring for now, so I can at least use the pen. I might turn one later when I get my hands on a rubber rod.

I've made them, but its a time consuming process, so expensive.  Its tough to get the ID right, and the curve just right so that it slips under the crescent, and locks against it without rotating completely around the barrel. 

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

I have made 3D computer models of a couple of sizes of the Conklin lock rings and have 3D printed a few in black acrylic resin. They seem to work pretty well. If there is any interest among the pen repair/restoration community, I could possibly make them available.

The Moonwalk Pen - honoring Apollo lunar landings
4-x-2-advertisement-copy-reduced-size.jp

1 hour ago, BamaPen said:

I have made 3D computer models of a couple of sizes of the Conklin lock rings and have 3D printed a few in black acrylic resin. They seem to work pretty well. If there is any interest among the pen repair/restoration community, I could possibly make them available.

I suppose this is a solution. I was going to draw one and print it with a filament printer. If you already have the drawings, would you mind sharing them?

SD

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update:

I succesfully printed the lock ring. If anyone needs the stl, you can contact me and i will send it.

I made versions in the end: one that behaves as the original (the lock only turns about 90deg from the "open" position, before getting stuck between the crescent and the barrel), and a more modern one.

On the more modern version, friction between the ring and the crescent is constant past 90deg from the "open" position. This means that it is possible to turn the ring 360deg on the barrel. However, the ring is still tapered, and will run free if it is not turned at least 90deg from its "open" position.

The curvature seemed a bit tricky at first, but the crescent just turned out to be a hiperbole. I will probably grind a tool with the right curvature (based on the 3d model) when i have some time. Then i can turn a rubber ring on a lathe.

If anyone is thinking about turning one of these, let me share my experience: I noticed that the original ring was not really precise cut to match the crescent. Their construction is quite simple. They are just a cylinder section with a 20-30 deg slope towards the edges and sanded to smooth the corners. The section is then drilled off-centre (about 1mm) parallel to the rotation axis to give its taper. I made a few with a teflon rod. You can make  them along a large rod, and then just cut and drill the hole for the pen barrel. I don't know how hard rubber would behave on a lathe tho.

IMG_20210707_222441.jpg

IMG_20210707_222347.jpg

3 hours ago, Simian devotee said:

I made versions in the end: one that behaves as the original (the lock only turns about 90deg from the "open" position, before getting stuck between the crescent and the barrel), and a more modern one.

:thumbup:

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

My challenge to making one on a lathe is simple.. stupid lead times to get hard rubber.  I had an hard rubber rod order from a certain well-reputed pen vendor from India, and he never shipped my order of several rods, and never gave a refund.  The other option for raw rods is out of the Russian Federation, with lead times so long, it is past the window to complain to eBay for non-delivery.  

I think that 3d printing is a brilliant option. I might pick a 3d printer up to augment my machine shop tools.

Edited by Addertooth
spelling

8 hours ago, Addertooth said:

My challenge to making one on a lathe is simple.. stupid lead times to get hard rubber....

Mark Hoover had stacks of hard rubber rods on tall steel shelving in his shop before he moved his business.  Perhaps he still has them.  https://www.lbepen.com

FredRydr,

Thank You for your suggestion,  I will reach out to Mr. Hoover via the link you provided.  

Addertooth

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
On 7/7/2021 at 10:52 PM, Simian devotee said:

Just an update:

I succesfully printed the lock ring. If anyone needs the stl, you can contact me and i will send it.

On the more modern version, friction between the ring and the crescent is constant past 90deg from the "open" position. This means that it is possible to turn the ring 360deg on the barrel. However, the ring is still tapered, and will run free if it is not turned at least 90deg from its "open" position.

The curvature seemed a bit tricky at first, but the crescent just turned out to be a hiperbole. I will probably grind a tool with the right curvature (based on the 3d model) when i have some time. Then i can turn a rubber ring on a lathe.

If anyone is thinking about turning one of these, let me share my experience: I noticed that the original ring was not really precise cut to match the crescent. Their construction is quite simple. They are just a cylinder section with a 20-30 deg slope towards the edges and sanded to smooth the corners. The section is then drilled off-centre (about 1mm) parallel to the rotation axis to give its taper. I made a few with a teflon rod. You can make  them along a large rod, and then just cut and drill the hole for the pen barrel. I don't know how hard rubber would behave on a lathe tho.

IMG_20210707_222441.jpg

IMG_20210707_222347.jpg

Hello

I'd like to ask if it's still possible to get the files. I'd be very grateful if you could share them!
Also, do you think the design may fit on a Cresqunet 2NL?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Everyone, I'm new here.

I have an old Conklin 3 and need a lock ring too. Did anyone use the 3d printing option to get one, or does anyone have one they could sell me or point me to ?

Thanks,

Martyn