yazeh

Super5 Australia

Pigmented inks made by Rohrer and Klinger fo Papierlabor . They are lightfast and waterproof and designed for sketching, just like the sketchINK by R&K. 

The naming of this line is a bit haphazard,  you can judge for yourself:

Atlantic

Australia

Darmstadt

Delhi

Dublin

Frankfurt

They also have line of pens. The pens have a very good seal and the inks don't dry out in them, from what I've read. 

They are a shade darker in my experience of their sketchInk counterparts.  Australia is shade darker than Jule and wetter.

788013454_Australia-JuleCompar1.thumb.jpeg.f8da49e3d084d286672e8f71ae742d59.jpeg

Australia is a nice wet ink. Dry time is the same as sketchInk inks. Meaning, if you use broad/flex/wet nibs and ink resistant paper the dry time is about 30 seconds or more and if you use F/EF nibs then you’re good.

The price, however, is three times the amount of sketchInk. Very expensive for what is. 

• Pen used: Lamy Safari – Broad nib both sides
• Shading: Yes with wider nibs
• Ghosting: None
• Bleed through: None. 
• Flow Rate: Wet
• Lubrication: Nice
• Nib Dry-out: Depending on the pen. Needs well sealed pen.
• Start-up: If not used it can dry out, in pens with high evaporation.
• Saturation: Saturated 
• Shading With wide/ flex nibs
• Sheen: Not rally.
• Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: None. 
• Nib Creep / “Crud”: None
• Staining (pen): You might need a pen cleaner. 
• Clogging: Yes, if pen is not well sealed.
• Water resistance: Waterproof 
• Availability: Only in bottle 30 ml bottles.

Chroma:

131616998_AustraliaChroma.thumb.jpeg.babd4501952b0d07b649eaa78afa438e.jpeg

Midori

AUSTRALIA.thumb.jpeg.93ab185f488be5e585387dab803feff4.jpeg

Midori with an attempted sketch... 

The colour reminds of wine

1715120595_AustraliaMidori.thumb.jpeg.b1724f6357463a21f61b47d4a5c0bd13.jpeg

Broad nib full galore.... and inky experiment...on TOmoe River 68 gr

Australia1690783824_AustraliaTomoreRIver68.thumb.jpeg.4581d9757737293d51698deffb35cb36.jpeg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• yazeh

• Frank C

• lapis

• LizEF

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for posting this. Yet another line of ink to explore. I like burgundy ink, but the dry time sounds—and appears to be—problematic. 

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

4 minutes ago, Frank C said:

Thanks for posting this. Yet another line of ink to explore. I like burgundy ink, but the dry time sounds—and appears to be—problematic. 

Most welcome. The dry time it all depends on the pen and paper you use. If you use EF/F nibs and Rhodia, the dry time is about 10-15 seconds The broad nib on copy paper is about 5 seconds. The 30s is for TR 68gr. Nothing dries fast on that paper ;)

Thanks again (first thanks went to your ride on a sketchINK). Funnily enough (okay, not all that  hilarious), the first thing I thought of when I discovered your review on Frieda was these Super5s (right -- that's written without a space). In a word, again as you said, these Super5s are a sister of the sketchINKs... also dry but less dry and more saturated. I.e. the Super5s are darker and the sketchies look more pastell-like. What also characterizes these Super5s (as opposed to the sketchies) is (again, as you said) that the six Super5s are also offered as good pens, where there are six pens available, having the same colour-namings as the six inks. IYAM they are in the same league as a Safari/AL-star; IMO a notch better). Well built and very sturdy, yet also nicely designed IMO. And as a big plus, they're relatively inexpensive. E.g. sticking to prices here in Krautland, whereas the 30-ml ink bottles cost 16.85, the pens each come in at "only" 24.90. BTW, the LP of a 50-ml sketchy here is around 9.15. The Super5s used to be available in 50-ml bottles, but the new, 30-ml bottles have necks as wide as the bottle itself, for those in need.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

27 minutes ago, lapis said:

Thanks again (first thanks went to your ride on a sketchINK). Funnily enough (okay, not all that  hilarious), the first thing I thought of when I discovered your review on Frieda was these Super5s (right -- that's written without a space). In a word, again as you said, these Super5s are a sister of the sketchINKs... also dry but less dry and more saturated. I.e. the Super5s are darker and the sketchies look more pastell-like. What also characterizes these Super5s (as opposed to the sketchies) is (again, as you said) that the six Super5s are also offered as good pens, where there are six pens available, having the same colour-namings as the six inks. IYAM they are in the same league as a Safari/AL-star; IMO a notch better). Well built and very sturdy, yet also nicely designed IMO. And as a big plus, they're relatively inexpensive. E.g. sticking to prices here in Krautland, whereas the 30-ml ink bottles cost 16.85, the pens each come in at "only" 24.90. BTW, the LP of a 50-ml sketchy here is around 9.15. The Super5s used to be available in 50-ml bottles, but the new, 30-ml bottles have necks as wide as the bottle itself, for those in need.

Thanks for the mini-review of the pens. I am always looking for decent $30 USD pens. The fact that these pens have a tight-fitting cap is good to know. I am still trying to figure out why there are six Super5s inks. Wouldn't it make more sense to have five Super5s inks or six Super6s inks?:rolleyes:

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Thanks again, @yazeh!  Very interesting to have a set of (presumably) more saturated version of the sketchINK series.  Meanwhile, I'm seeing an abstract dude with a monocle and a 'stache there at the top of your drips and drops. ;)

19 minutes ago, Frank C said:

I am still trying to figure out why there are six Super5s inks. Wouldn't it make more sense to have five Super5s inks or six Super6s inks?:rolleyes:

Right!?  Someone didn't do enough thinking ahead! :D

1 hour ago, lapis said:

Thanks Lapis. I can always count on you to add more depth to my reviews. Much appreciated. I based my price gauge on the calculations on fountainfeder's website:

Super5 €55.27* / 100 Milliliter

sketchInk €17.98* / 100 Milliliter

18 minutes ago, LizEF said:

Thanks again, @yazeh!  Very interesting to have a set of (presumably) more saturated version of the sketchINK series.  Meanwhile, I'm seeing an abstract dude with a monocle and a 'stache there at the top of your drips and drops. ;)

You've got an eagle eye!

18 minutes ago, LizEF said:

Right!?  Someone didn't do enough thinking ahead! :D

:D