Line width: Pilot 845 v. 823

markofp

Both the Pilot 845 and the 823 come in fine points, and the "fine" on the 823 is just about fountain pen perfection for me. If I decide to upgrade and throw down for the 845, can I expect the line width of the fine point to be the same as on the 823? The 845 has a larger nib and is 18K vs. the 14K for the 823. 

Can anyone who has both pens weigh in? Thank you.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Frank C

• markofp

• mke

• kazoolaw

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would say they are about the same. I use the Custom 823 (and Custom 74) for my everyday, take-to-work pens. As such, they get a lot of use. Even though they all have Fine nibs, within a given model, there is variation from pen to pen. I've been using some of these pens for 12 or thirteen years now. The date codes on the nibs are 08, meaning they were made in 2008. 

The Custom 845 is a much fancier pen. It has an Urushi finish and always elicits comments when I pull it out. Mine is a very low mileage pen. I would say that it writes finer and dryer than the well-used Custom 823s. But they are all very similar.  

You do use the term, "upgrade". I would recommend that you keep the Custom 823 for regular use and save the Custom 845 for special occasions. The Custom 823 is a workhorse of a pen; I wouldn't want to be without one. 

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Both the 845 and 823 use size 15 nibs and they are the same size, although as the OP pointed out, the 845 is 18K while the 823 is 14K.   Sorry I can't help you on comparing the nib widths.  My 845's are both BB, while the 823's are F and FA

51259354363_1b17c2491c_c.jpg

51258455507_7998ba95ba_c.jpg

You have prompted me to do some work:

IMG_0464.thumb.jpeg.d5b991b3a6ff6bf46c3a6ef54b733252.jpeg

As stated: All Fine nibs, all contain Pilot Blue Black Ink; this is Rhodia blank paper. I believe that any difference in size is attributable to the pressure I exerted on the pens, not any significant difference in width.

Conclusions: Based on this sample, all Pilot Fine nibs are very similar in size. The nib material doesn't matter; the integrated stainless steel nib was about the same as the gold nibs. 

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

4 minutes ago, markofp said:

Wow, thanks! That pretty much answers my question!

Anything else, let me know. They all have fairy stiff nibs; I just did a little test.

I was born in Englewood, New Jersey; I'm not sure of which exit. Back in the days, I thought Tubular Bells was pretty cool. Come to think of it, I still do.

On 6/20/2021 at 10:07 AM, markofp said:

823->845

Why should this be an upgrade?

Two totally different types of pens. If you like the 823, use it. Your writing experience will not improve with the 845.

9 hours ago, mke said:

Two totally different types of pens

How so? They fill differently, that's all.  Apart from that, they are both Pilot fountain pens that write more-or-less alike. As it happens, I feel the 845 is a better looking pen (especially the Vermillion color) than the more utilitarian looking 823, and it is definatly made from better materials with a better finish, and it strikes me as an "upgrade" pen.  

That these two pens have totally different filling concepts makes them already totally different types of pens, IMO.

"Pilot fountain pens that write more-or-less alike" => I would only talk about an upgrade if a property of the pen is better. Taste is no property.

But anyway, if you like the 845 better, get it. The nib size is the same, so you can probably expect similar behavior, apart from the influence of different pen size on your holding style and your writing.

Or a real step up with the Custom Urushi with a #30 nib? In new, I saw it for 65000 Yen compared to 50000 Yen for the 845 - comparing the vermillion pens.

6 hours ago, kazoolaw said:

Thinking urushi on the 845 is an upgrade.

The urushi pen is elegant. I like the vacuum filler because it holds a lot of ink; the con-70 holds the most ink of any converter I'm aware of. The two-tone nib of the 845 adds to the elegance; the 14K nib on the 823 is also a nice big nib. 

I am quite happy owning examples of each pen. 

I also own both pens and both have a M nib. They are comparable, but my 845 writes ever so slightly finer than my 823. Both excellent by the way. 845 is better looking and has a bit more character, also in writing. The 823 writes so effortlessly that one could argue it is a bit bland. But bland/boring in perfection. Perhaps a bit weird, but that is how I see it.